Moto X: 4.4.4 Update

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi "Sam"...I remember you (and always thankful for the great info) from the old Bionic group. Now, on Moto X, is there any truth to some concerns I've seen posted regarding 4.4.4 causing battery drain problems for Moto X?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Beats me man...mine's still rocking 4.4.3 until Moto sees fit to update it to 4.4.4. Looks like the VZW X beats all the others to the 4.4.4 punch on this one. I can say that battery life has been controversial for all of the 4.4.x builds and there are people saying it's worse on 4.4.4. I've not seen any issues on my S4 GPE so if there is a battery issue it's LIKELY a Moto build problem. I'd search for 2013 Droid battery issues on 4.4.4 as you're getting the exact same build they've been running.

jimlc

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update Sam (also a former Bionic group member) I understood the soak had already began. Just goes to show the misinformation out there.☺

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I've got stock 4.4.2 and (once I limited push notifications just to the social, email or apps I really need, battery performance has been fine...full day (or more if I really stayed awake 24 hrs! ;-) ) just hoping 4.4.4 doesn't break that.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I need to see an about screen capture of the new build to make sure the FXZ is the same build then I can post it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just searched for update ( in settings). Its now downloading.

Posted via Android Central App

Same here, be back when it finishes installing.

4a8u2a8a.jpg

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
This cuts down on installation time as it only has to over-write things that are actually different.
Ahhh, that explains why apps sometimes update super-fast, even if they're, say, 30MB: only a few KBs may actually be update data. Interesting.

Helps reduce the bloatware/clutter.
Even though the Moto X is about as vanilla Android as you can get without actually getting a Nexus, there were a handful apps I disabled since I'll never use them.

- If the app came preinstalled on your phone by the carrier or manufacturer, it cannot be uninstalled - you can't alter the software that came on the phone (unless you root, but that's a whole other conversation).
Rooted once on my original EVO. It was cool. But after going near-stock with the Moto X, I'm good as it does everything I need it to (although rooting it's pretty easy).

Thanks for the responses! I'm no noob but I'm also not a professional programmer - just a physics student who loves to code in Python here 'n there haha:cool:

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Omg. I am noticing a big change in how active notifications work. As usual, moving or picking up the phone activates it, but now it recognizes my hand waving over it. Awesome.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Update took about 10 minutes, but "Optimizing Apps" took another 20 minutes, chewed through my battery and made the phone red hot! I powered down for the evening. Thing seem fine this morning.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Update took about 10 minutes, but "Optimizing Apps" took another 20 minutes, chewed through my battery and made the phone red hot! I powered down for the evening. Thing seem fine this morning.

Anything else? For the better that your noticing?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Omg. I am noticing a big change in how active notifications work. As usual, moving or picking up the phone activates it, but now it recognizes my hand waving over it. Awesome.

youre right....awesome!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

That's not new to 4.4.4 - it's been there on my AT&T one for quite some time now. It is very nice, though. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
System update in settings?I tried and get nothing.

They roll out in batches to keep from overloading the servers and in case it really messes something up so they have to replace fewer phones. If they are in general rollout, my recollection back when I was on Verizon was that everyone would have it when they checked within a few days, and it would be "pushed" out to the stragglers in a week or so.

Still can't believe that Verizon is first - again. Perhaps they are trying to make up for their Nexus debacle a few years ago...

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
They roll out in batches to keep from overloading the servers and in case it really messes something up so they have to replace fewer phones. If they are in general rollout, my recollection back when I was on Verizon was that everyone would have it when they checked within a few days, and it would be "pushed" out to the stragglers in a week or so.

Still can't believe that Verizon is first - again. Perhaps they are trying to make up for their Nexus debacle a few years ago...

I believe its just the soak test that went out. Not official release

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781