Build quality; how is your moto x holding up?

jp719

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I have had my moto x on Verizon wince October and I gotta say this is probably the worst phone I have had in terms of build quality and staying together. The back of the phone is coming apart from the front, it doesn't seem like the back is on very nicely. I have 6 hairline cracks on the sides where the Sim tray and volume buttons are and by the headphone jack. I think water got into my camera, because there is a faint water mark ( I think that's what it is) but it could be my fault considering I take it in with me when k shower to listen to music. I have hairline scratches all over the screen!

How is your guys moto x holding up ? I don't use cases really, I have 2 but they're just either too bulky or just pointless because its not enough protection. do you think this is a result of early manufacturing problems ?

thanks.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since November and, except for the dings from when I dropped it, it's in fine shape. I do use a relatively thin TPU case and a screen protector (which really limited the damage from that drop) and I don't take mine into humid conditions.

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine a few months. I have some very fine scratches on the screen and some scuffs along the bezel because I dropped my phone in a parking lot. I don't use a case though. All in all I am happy with its wear and tear

Posted via Android Central App

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
October here, and no damage at all.
The Navy soft-touch back cleans easily too, with nothing but a microfiber cloth.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Had my black x from Verizon since September. I have some scratches on the screen (even have the "anti scratch" screen protector and have 2 deepish scratches on the glass itself) and a scratch or two on the side of the body. I'd say I've used a case about 50% of the time. Overall I'd say it's in pretty good shape for what it's been through.

Posted via Android Central App - Moto X

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I got my Moto X in December, got the white back/white front and I've kept it in a case 100% of the time, except when I'm at home. So far I have just one light scratch on the screen, can't see it except in direct sunlight with the screen off so no big deal. Other than that, it's still in perfect shape, even after dropping it a few times (while in a case). No screen protector, but thinking about getting one made from tempered glass.

Here's the case I use, it's really slim but wraps all the way around the phone so it works well. It even has the dimple on back where the Moto logo is, which is nice. Amazon.com: SUPCASE Motorola Moto X Phone Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Case - Clear/Black, Free HD Clear Screen Protector, Bubble Free Installation Instruction Included: Electronics

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine since Sept. 11,2013. So far so good. I don't have any scratches on screen or any dings on the side or back.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So I have had my moto x on Verizon wince October and I gotta say this is probably the worst phone I have had in terms of build quality and staying together. The back of the phone is coming apart from the front, it doesn't seem like the back is on very nicely. I have 6 hairline cracks on the sides where the Sim tray and volume buttons are and by the headphone jack. I think water got into my camera, because there is a faint water mark ( I think that's what it is) but it could be my fault considering I take it in with me when k shower to listen to music. I have hairline scratches all over the screen!

How is your guys moto x holding up ? I don't use cases really, I have 2 but they're just either too bulky or just pointless because its not enough protection. do you think this is a result of early manufacturing problems ?

thanks.

It sounds like the seal between your rear shell and front panel might have had a gap or two and the humidity of the shower has made it even worse. There is a reason why putting a metal or plastic 'rim' around the phone is a good idea when executed well- it covers that seal.

The screen definitely scratches pretty easily - I have a few scratches on my Moto X screen as well - but they aren't really noticeable. My iPhone screen never scratched.

Those hairline cracks could be a lot of things. Have you have dropped your phone a few times?

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Mine was perfect until I recently dropped it and one side is scraped up pretty good but I was happy the screen was still perfect. This was with no case either.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Perfect after several months. I have the teal back, in a clear hard case, no screen protector, have dropped it at least 4 times, no scratches on the screen, no sign of wear on the hardware

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my Moto X back in late February and I have it then Androidified case on it silicone rubber and clear I don't really drop it now often but of course it's in mint perfect condition I'm not rough on my electronics but I mean mine is I'm fine it's responsive it's consistent everything I need it to me...

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since October & it still looks new. It's been a case for about 50% of the time.

To the OP, I wouldn't say it has poor build quality at all. Sounds like you're a bit rough on phones. So maybe there are more rugged phones or cases that would better suit you to make the phone last longer for you. For example, using a phone in the shower.... It's an electrical device that doesn't belong in the shower so don't complain that it designed well enough for you to use in the shower, LOL. Don't confuse build quality with ruggedness.... they are completely different.

But in general this is a very good phone. It'll stay in good working order if you care for it accordingly.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the bamboo back and it's fine.
Returned a Walnut backed one that developed markings.
Have had the bamboo for a few months, so far so good.
Currently using a DoDo Wallet case, so my X should stay pristine.
IMO, they are extremely well built.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X I got in November was starting to get hairline cracks on the back panel alone both sides of the device. Motorola replaced it no questions and the new one is fine so far. It mostly lives on my coffee table as a remote and as a secondary media player now so it doesn't go out with me as much anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs