"Ok Google" from anywhere not impressive

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I saw the "Ok Google" from anywhere feature and was very excited and impressed. Upon its release I click on my ok Google now settings to enable the feature. However I was in for a rude awakening and immediately became jealous. The neat "Ok Google" feature was not available for my device. I have a Moto X how can this be? The Moto X is the Nexus experience (in my opinion) and some (which is why I chose it over the Nexus). So out of jealousy I looked into the feature to see if I was actually missing anything or just excited for a new Google feature. I quickly realized after a "Ok Google Now" search my feature was actually better minus the extra word "Ok Google Now". See on my Moto X I really can activate Google search from anywhere even when my screen is locked, which gives it a leg up on Google's implementation. "Ok Google" is a great step but it isn't the Moto X way which is still my preferred method. What do you all think?

The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care - CNET

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Touchless Controls is in a different class than Google's "OK Google" anywhere*. Anywhere... As long as the screen is on and unlocked.

I'm confused about your excitement over a feature that's a subset of a feature we've been able to enjoy on the Moto X from day one. Were you unaware of Touchless Controls, or did you think the new feature was going to be something advice and beyond Touchless Controls?

ProParkour

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Nothing really compares to the Touchless Controls. There is an so called Open Mic+ which is pretty close to Touch less controls especially if you have root.

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'll also add that Touchless Controls voice recognition seems better than Google Now. When I had a Nexus 5 and Moto X side-by-side, the Moto X was far more accurate in figuring out what I said.

soldier_2point0

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I tried it on my Nexus 7 tablet and that feature murdered my battery in a matter of hours. The X has a dedicated CPU for this function and it sips battery.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I saw the "Ok Google" from anywhere feature and was very excited and impressed. Upon its release I click on my ok Google now settings to enable the feature. However I was in for a rude awakening and immediately became jealous. The neat "Ok Google" feature was not available for my device. I have a Moto X how can this be? The Moto X is the Nexus experience (in my opinion) and some (which is why I chose it over the Nexus). So out of jealousy I looked into the feature to see if I was actually missing anything or just excited for a new Google feature. I quickly realized after a "Ok Google Now" search my feature was actually better minus the extra word "Ok Google Now". See on my Moto X I really can activate Google search from anywhere even when my screen is locked, which gives it a leg up on Google's implementation. "Ok Google" is a great step but it isn't the Moto X way which is still my preferred method. What do you all think?

The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care - CNET

You can train touchless control to work with just "OK Google".

I'm interested to see how this affects the battery life on devices that do not have the extra mics and low power CPU core dedicated to this feature.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You can train touchless control to work with just "OK Google".

I'm interested to see how this affects the battery life on devices that do not have the extra mics and low power CPU core dedicated to this feature.
How would you train Touchless Controls on such devices when they don't have it in the first place?