Cel-Fi and unlocked Moto X - does it work?

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile/AT&T Developers Edition of the Moto X. I've also got very poor signal strength inside my apartment. Does anyone know if the T-Mobile Cel-fi unit will work with an unlocked phone? I've seen a couple of threads that seem to indicate the answer is no, but no official word. I'm not getting any more bars than before the free celfi arrived, so my feeling is that there's nothing I can do unless I get a carrier specific phone.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why it would not work if your on T-Mobile. The phone is meant for T-Mobile did you call customer service?

The phone isn't a t-mobile branded phone. There are a few 'net mentions that an unlocked phone lacks something that a branded phone would have. My general experience with customer service isn't worth the time and effort I put in to it, so I'm hoping someone who actually has tried this can share their experience.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Geeze, that costs more than my phone!

PapaGary: They sent me the unit for free as I've had ongoing issues with calls being drops and poor signal strength. I had similar problems with Sprint and they sent me their wi-fi calling kit. That helped, but ultimately I just didn't want to stay with Sprint anymore when I bought the Moto X. Of course, if Sprint buys T-Mobile, that plan goes right out the window.

laurent.gil

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: I work for Cel-Fi.

MotoX will work with Cel-FI, as long as the MotoX works on T-Mobile network. Cel-Fi will boost 3G/4G (HSPA+), but not LTE, for band 2 and band 4.

Good luck with Cel-Fi - Let us know your experience.

Regards,
Laurent

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Laurent,

Thanks for the reply and the disclaimer. So here's my experience: initially when I set up the window unit, I had 5 bars on it but was only getting a 2-4 on the coverage box. My apartment is only 650 sq feet so I can't place the coverage box any further away than it already is. I also wasn't seeing any change in the bars on my moto x, which prompted my post. Tonight, I'm still only seeing a 2 on the coverage unit, but 3-4 bars on my phone (and it seems more stable than usual so far). So here's where it gets strange. I'm currently showing only an Edge connection, not 4GLTE which I usually have. Thing is, I have wifi at home so I really don't care what my T-mobile data connection is at home. I turned off the wifi on the moto x to see what was happening. So: isn't at least 3G required for the cel-fi to work?

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Now my 4G is back...but my moto connection is back to bouncing from 2-4 bars while the window unit is at a solid 5. The real test will be in making and receiving some calls and see if they drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith