08-05-2014 09:22 AM
83 1234
tools
    Attachment 130034

Perfect I say. Perfect. :P
    Is that the iPhone 6???!!?
    07-31-2014 09:59 AM
    Have to agree with Jerry. This phone just works. It also has a consistent friendly feel to it. You don't have to think/worry about this phone. The battery WILL last the whole day. It WILL NOT lag. All apps will work with it. You have the latest operating system (most of the time).

Frankly, other flagship phones should take note of the things happy Moto X owners take for granted.
    Evilnut and cindave like this.
    07-31-2014 10:32 AM
    First, I disagree that it's a really good device out of the box. I think it is mediocre at best, for all the reasons I listed. In fact, I dislike it so much, I actually went back to the iPhone 5s (provided by my employer) that I was previously using. But I don't think rooting would fix very much of that, so that's why I said I was overlooking it. But as long as phones (esp carrier-locked ones) don't come with ad-blocking and wireless tether out of the box, there will ALWAYS be a reasonn to root, MO.

He actually went as far as to say (paraphrasing): 'I can't think of any improvements that need to be made to this phone.' Well, I just listed several. That was the entire point of this thread.
    No, you actually listed several that you would want but that don't see to be major issues, at least for most. For example, most of us appear to really like the clock showing up with Active Display and wouldn't want to disable it. That seems like a pretty minor issue, at least to me, to make your "major issue". And it is funny, at least to me, that you "dislike it so much" that you went back to a phone that you can't see the notifications, at all, without picking up the phone and pushing a button. But maybe that's just me? I can agree that that Active Display can sometimes be too sensitive but I'm one it doesn't bother -- I'd rather have it too sensitive than not sensitive enough.

I can agree that it would be nice to be able to turn on DND manually. OTOH, it is fairly easy to turn it on using your calendar; just schedule yourself a nap; and this gives the advantage that you don't have to remember to manually turn DND off. I'm guessing that they don't include auto-respond with text, for your nightly sleep time, because they assume that people will know you are sleeping. Again, it would be easy to work around by making your nightly sleep a scheduled "meeting" on your calendar, and that would give you the ability to send a text. Additionally, you can set it up as a recurring meeting, with different times for weekdays and weekends. To me, Assist is far ahead of anything I've seen on other phones. That isn't to say that it couldn't be improved by something like a manual toggle, but it is quite good now and easy to work around your concerns.

As for Bluetooth in your car, unfortunately it sounds as if your car's Bluetooth and the Moto X have some type of issue. As others have stated, they don't have this issue. Unfortunately, this is a Bluetooth issue that exists when trying to pair certain phones with certain cars and that no manufacturer has been able to fix.

As for rooting the phone; I find it hard to be upset at the difficulty in rooting my phone when I could have bought a Developer Edition, that was made to be rooted. As for tethering, my Moto X came with it, out of the box; though I do have the unlocked version. I'm curious is this is an issue with your model of the Moto X; which likely makes it a carrier issue (your carrier did not want tethering available on their version), and not a fault of Motorola's.

I'm sorry the Moto X wasn't for you. To me, one of the best parts of Android is the choice; you aren't forced into a phone that doesn't work the way you want it to. I hope you find the "perfect" phone for you. For me, I choose the Moto X.
    07-31-2014 11:35 AM
    I figured I would show you what a few tweaks to the Expos framework would do to the phone regardless.
    I find the first screenshot you posted to be very unattractive. Sorry.
    07-31-2014 12:01 PM
    In regards to the active notifications, I agree, I do wish there was a way to prioritize which apps stay at the top of the list, so I can open straight into texts even if I received, say, an Instagram notification after a text message, but that to me is pretty minor. And I just keep my phone face down when I don't want to be bothered with the active notifications.

Also agree with DND mode. I don't mind the way the Favorites whitelist works, but it would be nice to have a quick way to enable it for naps and such, and to be able to set different schedules. Right now I have it set to DND from 11PM to 6AM, but if I stay out late, I often end up forgetting to turn it off, and miss notifications. Also, I never thought about an auto reply feature for DND, that would be a nice addition, but I haven't missed it so far so no biggie.

Driving mode works fine for me, even over bluetooth. Music starts playing pretty soon after I start driving, and turn by turn/voice commands work fine with my aftermarket Bluetooth device (Kinivo brand purchased from Amazon).

I tried a few different phones before settling on the Moto X. Tried the G2, HTC One (M7), even thought about getting a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (Touch Wiz is a deal breaker so no Samsung), but while the Moto X isn't perfect (camera could be much, much better), overall I found it to be the best compromise between size, performance, looks and usability (mostly stock Android FTW). Normally whenever the latest and greatest comes out, I want it ASAP, but I've had the Moto X for going on 9 months now, and I still don't see any reason to change phones. As most people on this forum know, that's a pretty big testament to how well Moto did with the X.
    07-31-2014 12:03 PM
    ..new features are coming to Motorola Assist.
    bc2k likes this.
    07-31-2014 12:54 PM
    Their philosophy is for the features to be done in a "smarter" way, not giving manual control to the user for every little option.
    Right, which means they have joined the rest of the industry in the war on power users.

You're probably in the minority.
    Yes, I'm often told that, because I want actual control over the way my devices work. There's a way to have sensible defaults out of the box while hiding he 'advanced' options (like they do the developer options) so that others won't be confused by having any sort of real control over the way things are presented.
    07-31-2014 06:11 PM
    Yes, I'm often told that, because I want actual control over the way my devices work.

https://source.android.com/source/building.html

MOTO X - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

You can do anything.
    malikshuman, Ry, Clocks and 2 others like this.
    07-31-2014 06:43 PM
    Nothing's perfect but out of all the devices I've owned (both Android and iOS), the Moto X has come the closest for me. It's been almost a year and I'm still in love with mine.
    Evilnut likes this.
    08-01-2014 01:46 AM
    Right, which means they have joined the rest of the industry in the war on power users.
    When regular users make up way more of the market, it makes sense to cater to them rather than power users.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-01-2014 11:10 AM
    Darn, have to agree with Jerry.
    Bought another X [64Gb].
    That makes three in the household.
    Any more and i'll have to teach a mouse to use it.
    08-01-2014 01:39 PM
    Moto x would be perfect if they used a different camera (they can update the software all they want - the camera sucks) and if it would last a full day with moderate use. It makes me mad that people want this phone to be so perfect that in general they exaggerate the battery life.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-02-2014 04:06 PM
    Moto x would be perfect if they used a different camera (they can update the software all they want - the camera sucks) and if it would last a full day with moderate use. It makes me mad that people want this phone to be so perfect that in general they exaggerate the battery life.

Well, Murph, do these look 'exaggerated'?
    Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-444batt1.pngJerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-444batt2.pngJerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-444batt3.png
    Ry likes this.
    08-02-2014 04:12 PM
    Well, Murph, do these look 'exaggerated'?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	444Batt1.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	130368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	444Batt2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	130369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	444Batt3.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	130370
    Yes, looks like you did nothing with your phone but leave the screen on.

08-02-2014 04:17 PM
    "real world" moderate use.

Attached Thumbnails Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-12768.jpg   Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-12769.jpg  
    08-02-2014 04:21 PM
    Yes, looks like you did nothing with your phone but leave the screen on.

Why would someone just leave their screen on?
    08-02-2014 04:29 PM
    These are my stats. I think the problem you are having is the streaming of the xm radio. I don't stream anything to my phone and I'm able to get about a days worth

Attached Thumbnails Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-screenshot_2014-08-02-16-30-55.jpg   Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-screenshot_2014-08-02-16-31-03.jpg  
    08-02-2014 04:32 PM
    These are my stats. I think the problem you are having is the streaming of the xm radio. I don't steam anything to my phone and I'm able to get about a days worth

I stream Spotify and Pandora almost everyday on a mix of wifi/mobile data and still get a days worth pretty easily.
    ProParkour likes this.
    08-02-2014 04:34 PM
    Why would someone just leave their screen on?
    Was kind of joking but what's using the battery? Seems odd that phone idle is using the most after the screen. No messaging, voice calls, games, etc? I'm sure the battery lasts a long time when you hardly use the phone, but in my experience, the battery is marginally better than the gs3. Those screenshots made my point.

08-02-2014 04:35 PM
    It's very possible that your cell signal is causing the issue. As someone who lives in a bad service area, I see this quite a bit. But when I travel to an area with good signal, it's like the battery is twice as big.
    Ry likes this.
    08-02-2014 04:36 PM
    Was kind of joking but what's using the battery? Seems odd that phone idle is using the most after the screen. No messaging, voice calls, games, etc? I'm sure the battery lasts a long time when you hardly use the phone, but in my experience, the battery is marginally better than the gs3. Those screenshots made my point.

I text all day and browse the internet but it never shows up on that log. How is the coverage you are getting? Perhaps your phone is using more juice trying to find a signal

08-02-2014 04:38 PM

I'm not going to discount your experience but you also shouldn't discount what others have experienced. I also had an S3 before this phone and my battery life has been significantly better out of the box.
    08-02-2014 04:39 PM
    It's very possible that your cell signal is causing the issue. As someone who lives in a bad service area, I see this quite a bit. But when I travel to an area with good signal, it's like the battery is twice as big.
    Good point. I get about three bars of lte with Verizon but am on wifi most of the time. I just expected too much after all the reports. Compared to other phones I've owned, I think the battery is decent, it just doesn't blow me away

08-02-2014 04:39 PM

Yes, I'm often told that, because I want actual control over the way my devices work. There's a way to have sensible defaults out of the box while hiding he 'advanced' options (like they do the developer options) so that others won't be confused by having any sort of real control over the way things are presented.
    The problem is what you consider sensible and what others consider sensible may be worlds part. They could very easily take to heart your gripes and implement them, and then someone else will rant about what's wrong with it. And if they add his wants, the next guy will gripe about what he doesn't like. If you don't like the Moto X, that's your opinion, just like Jerry he his opinion. Like others have said, there was a Developers Edition for the rooting crowd, maybe you should've went with that if you need more control over your device. The problem is, again as others have said, the majority don't need/want as much control as you do. They offered a model that allows you to gain as much control as you want, if that still isn't enough for you, then it's not the phone for you. Find one that better suits your needs. That's the point of having multiple OEMS, if one doesn't offer what you need, another probably will.
    08-02-2014 04:47 PM

A couple of points on my use...I'm on 4.4.4 and there have been a couple of comments I've read where it seems to be that Moto or Google have re-vamped the way battery use is attributed on that first screen (perhaps because so many folks were seeing huge Android OS % values?). My use that day was lots of function checking (soak stuff), Carbon for Twitter, and links from tweets for Chrome articles, pics posted, podcasts, and several calls, texts (via Hangouts) and checking the progress of thunderstorms nearby (Accuweather app). Also had Driving mode activated numerous times while moving around a lot and did a few Voice commands for calls, texts and searches.

As another poster mentioned, cell signal strength can be a battery killer...I happen to have a brand new cell tower a couple hundred yards from my house and most of the day was spent within a couple miles of that tower. I'm also beginning to think that the interruptions of the green shown on the Mobile network signal bar may mean that when the screen is off Google or Moto are no longer using power to detect a 4G signal until the screen is back on...maybe?

Anyhoo...my battery life is fine w/ 4.4.4 and I think even better than when on 4.4.2.
    Ry likes this.
    08-02-2014 06:19 PM
83 1234