Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model. Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root, and list a few things I'd very much like to see improved, as I think some of the ideas in the Moto X are great, but the execution is less than optimal:

NOTE: I haven't used the Moto X in quite awhile, due to the things I list in this post, so some/all of these may have been fixed with subsequent updates.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS
The BIGGEST problem I have with dynamic notifications is the clock. I like how it comes on when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up, so I can see the time without having to turn it on. But it also comes on every time a mouse farts in my apartment. Well, not really, but if I have it docked on my desk, just the SLIGHTEST nudge of the desk causes it to come on. Even sometimes taking a drink of water and putting the cup back down on the desk causes it to come on. This is an annoyance because I'm constantly catching it out of the corner of my eye, thinking I've missed a notification. Solution: Allow the user to turn the clock off without disabling dynamic notifications completely.

My other major gripe with this feature is that you can't prioritize the order in which dynamic notifications are listed. So, if I get a text message and then a Google+ notification, the Google+ notification appears front and center. I'd like the ability to list the order in which these things should appear.

DO NOT DISTURB MODE
This was the main reason I originally purchased the phone, as I REALLY wanted this built into the ROM, and didn't know at the time that the Galaxy S4 actually had a better version. Some things that could be improved here:

- No way to turn it on manually, like if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, WTF? Even the iPhone can do this.

- No way to set different times on weekdays and weekends

- No way to white list anyone but favorites. So if you want your boss set as a favorite but don't want him/her to bypass the DND mode, well... that's just too bad.

- No way to auto respond with text. (If the driving mode has this feature, why not the DND mode?)

I'm glad to see Android L getting a do not disturb mode, but sadly, it appears to have some of the same limitations as the Moto X does.

DRIVING MODE
I appear to be in the minority here, but I just didn't have very much luck with this at all. The feature that's supposed to start auto playing music NEVER worked, and I couldn't get turn-by-turn voice navigation to work over bluetooth in my car, even though the same feature works perfectly on my Nexus 4.

In short, I just found this phone to be a huge letdown, and FAR from perfect.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean that it's not perfect in someone else's eyes. To each it's own.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that this is an opinion, and to Jerry, the Moto X is a great phone as is. Heck, I still think my HTC Hero is a heck of a phone size wise and has a trackball to boot.

I don't think there's ever going to be a device that solves every problem, including those listed in your post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I ran the Moto X, Nexus 5, and now the M8. Of those three, if I had to choose a phone all over again, the X would be heavily considered.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Last edited:

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Man, I gotta with Jerry on this one. Not the best screen. Not the best camera. Yet, it's my first phone that could go all day and still function the next morning without a charge. It's my first phone that I can talk to while driving and send texts, listen to email, and play music without talking my hands off of the steering wheel. It's not perfectly in any one category, but it's the best all around phone I've ever had.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Man, I gotta with Jerry on this one. Not the best screen. Not the best camera. Yet, it's my first phone that could go all day and still function the next morning without a charge. It's my first phone that I can talk to while driving and send texts, listen to email, and play music without talking my hands off of the steering wheel. It's not perfectly in any one category, but it's the best all around phone I've ever had.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

^this!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

travo1978

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Moto X the weekend after it released. The G3 is the first phone since then that actually made me think about switching. Got one of them, had it for a week and returned it. I agree with Jerry. For me the Moto X is as close to a perfect phone as I've ever had.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I replaced my X with the Z2, I find it better in all regards with only one exception. The voice activated features even with the screen off were great but not enough to keep me from switching.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think on the whole the Moto X is the least non-perfect. All phones have their issues. The X just has significantly fewer of them. The camera is my only complaint.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I am still rockin' my X and I don't really think that I'll be giving it up anytime soon. I personally haven't looked into the Moto X+1 or anything, but I hear its going to be bigger. Of course! That's one of the things I love about this phone. The form factor of it is absolutely amazing. Its not a puny little screen like the iPhone and its not a humongous screen like 90% of the other phones.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X is for persons that don't believe their phone is the end all world solution to happiness. If you want a phone that works and not a supercomputer because well you have one at home then it is perfect. IMO there is little to no reason for my phone to be a solution before my tablets or home computer. Most of the people that want those things in their phones are also the idiots on them while freaking driving.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X is for persons that don't believe their phone is the end all world solution to happiness. If you want a phone that works and not a supercomputer because well you have one at home then it is perfect. IMO there is little to no reason for my phone to be a solution before my tablets or home computer. Most of the people that want those things in their phones are also the idiots on them while freaking driving.
Well said.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I got to agree with Jerry as well. Best phone I've ever used. I don't have any desire for the flagship's of 2014 so far

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To me its been the perfect phone.Has all the features I want.
Really that's all that matters to me since I am the one using it.
I probably will check out the Moto X +1 though :)

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all posts above liking the X.
If the X+1 was the same size as the X, I would break down and buy for sure. Not sure what could push me to upgrade to Moto again if they abandon this form factor. The way it feels in my hand is at least 25% of what I like about this phone.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I am waiting to use my Moto X. Unfortunately stuck with an ATT version (which is a PITA to root etc.) and need to unlock it before I can use on TMO. Also will get my OPO in a day or two so will have a side by side comparison of the two and then report back.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model. Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root, and list a few things I'd very much like to see improved, as I think some of the ideas in the Moto X are great, but the execution is less than optimal:

NOTE: I haven't used the Moto X in quite awhile, due to the things I list in this post, so some/all of these may have been fixed with subsequent updates.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS
The BIGGEST problem I have with dynamic notifications is the clock. I like how it comes on when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up, so I can see the time without having to turn it on. But it also comes on every time a mouse farts in my apartment. Well, not really, but if I have it docked on my desk, just the SLIGHTEST nudge of the desk causes it to come on. Even sometimes taking a drink of water and putting the cup back down on the desk causes it to come on. This is an annoyance because I'm constantly catching it out of the corner of my eye, thinking I've missed a notification. Solution: Allow the user to turn the clock off without disabling dynamic notifications completely.

My other major gripe with this feature is that you can't prioritize the order in which dynamic notifications are listed. So, if I get a text message and then a Google+ notification, the Google+ notification appears front and center. I'd like the ability to list the order in which these things should appear.

DO NOT DISTURB MODE
This was the main reason I originally purchased the phone, as I REALLY wanted this built into the ROM, and didn't know at the time that the Galaxy S4 actually had a better version. Some things that could be improved here:

- No way to turn it on manually, like if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, WTF? Even the iPhone can do this.

- No way to set different times on weekdays and weekends

- No way to white list anyone but favorites. So if you want your boss set as a favorite but don't want him/her to bypass the DND mode, well... that's just too bad.

- No way to auto respond with text. (If the driving mode has this feature, why not the DND mode?)

I'm glad to see Android L getting a do not disturb mode, but sadly, it appears to have some of the same limitations as the Moto X does.

DRIVING MODE
I appear to be in the minority here, but I just didn't have very much luck with this at all. The feature that's supposed to start auto playing music NEVER worked, and I couldn't get turn-by-turn voice navigation to work over bluetooth in my car, even though the same feature works perfectly on my Nexus 4.

In short, I just found this phone to be a huge letdown, and FAR from perfect.

Improved camera and I would have been all over the moto x. In this day, a meh camera just doesn't cut it and that was the only real complaint I had with the moto x. Hopefully the x+1 fixes this issue, then again it is moto and they have never been able to put a good camera in any of their devices.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X is the perfect device for me. I hope Motorola keeps up this trend because it's awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that this is one of your dislikes of the Moto X. But why is it being difficult to root a downfall? The great thing about the Moto X is the fact that it's a really, really good device out of the box and rooting is almost unnecessary.

Jerry has been praising the Moto X for almost a year now (since it has been out). His opinion is his opinion, of course. But I haven't been surprised at all of his satisfaction with the phone. I like that he gives all the flagships their fair shake and withholds overall opinion of devices until he's actually used them day-to-day. Out of all the Android phones that are out there, it says a lot about the Moto X from what someone who makes a living off of studying and reviewing tech to say it is the best one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman