Fix? New Moto X has disjointed time on active display

cadfax

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

New Moto X user here! Really loving this phone so far. Wondering if anyone can help, I tried looking on the forums and didn't know how best to search for this issue. When moving the phone the active display time will pop up, but it appears that the text is broken and missing. Really odd that it started and it seems to be getting more frequent. This was happening prior to the latest Kit Kat update. Also just this evening, updated to the latest version of kit kat and it is still happening. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Example:
-Sometimes it is worse than this, but this will give you an idea of what it's doing.
motox.jpg

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I noticed after I installed 4.4.4, a similar problem popped up although slightly different. Sometimes active notifications will pop up with the time but no unlock symbol. If I press where it normally is and drag it down, it works fine but the icon isn't there. Not too big of a deal to me but your situation would certainly bother me. I would try what the poster above said or a factory reset?

Posted via Android Central App

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I noticed after I installed 4.4.4, a similar problem popped up although slightly different. Sometimes active notifications will pop up with the time but no unlock symbol. If I press where it normally is and drag it down, it works fine but the icon isn't there. Not too big of a deal to me but your situation would certainly bother me. I would try what the poster above said or a factory reset?

This happens to me, too. Maybe a couple times a week at most. Sometimes the time is a few minutes off, too.

cadfax

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice!

B.Diddy/anyone else - I am going to be honest, i have never gone into Recovery Mode and am a little hesitant because this is a new phone. Might seem silly, but going into recovery mode void a warranty or anything? Apologize as I am new to Android phones. Anything you can recommend that will make the process easy and straightforward would be appreciated. I googled a few 'how tos' for entering Recovery Mode and it seems like a few button combos. I just don't know how to get back, out of Recovery Mode (?). Thanks.

cadfax

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah this just happened a few minutes ago. 8:15? or 8:05? Kinda annoying when the time can be radically different. I think I am going to see if I can return this model for another Moto X. I hope I am still within the return window. Just bought the phone 2 weekends ago from Verizon.

phone_02.jpg

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

B.Diddy/anyone else - I am going to be honest, i have never gone into Recovery Mode and am a little hesitant because this is a new phone. Might seem silly, but going into recovery mode void a warranty or anything? Apologize as I am new to Android phones. Anything you can recommend that will make the process easy and straightforward would be appreciated. I googled a few 'how tos' for entering Recovery Mode and it seems like a few button combos. I just don't know how to get back, out of Recovery Mode (?). Thanks.

It doesn't void your warranty or anything like that. I was nervous the first time I did it too. It's actually really easy and useful. I use it to clear my cache sometimes. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Turn off active notifications then go to Apps - - > All - - > Active Notifications and clear cache/data. Reboot, turn active notifications back on then reboot again and see if that clears it up. If it doesn't, it might need a factory reset.

cadfax

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I am trying the "easy route" first by resetting that cache method that KWKSLVR said. I just looked under Apps>All> and didn't see Active Notifications. I did see Active Display which I went and force stopped that, rebooted and turned back on. I don't know if that will be helpful? If this doesn't work I will go ahead with the original recommendation of going into Recovery Mode.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

After you follow the procedure as posted byB.Diddy in post # 2 your phone will reboot into normal mode once its completed.
As mentioned it wont void warranty at all, this is the stock recovery of phone .Just follow the guide and you will say "oh wow that was easy" :)

...(snip)I just looked under Apps>All> and didn't see Active Notifications. I did see Active Display(snip).....

Thats all I see too.