Active Display screen flicker on 4.4.4

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue? My active display will turn on and off like it's suppose to, but when it fades off, my screen will flicker slightly for a second or so before completely turning off. I only noticed it after I updated to 4.4.4.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having that issue . I am on 4.4.4 (vzw)
Flicker? As in a tiny movement of the screen? Or like when the screen is diming it pulses before going off (like a candle flicker)?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue? My active display will turn on and off like it's suppose to, but when it fades off, my screen will flicker slightly for a second or so before completely turning off. I only noticed it after I updated to 4.4.4.

Did you update the active display app from Play store?? Thats worth a shot

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having that issue . I am on 4.4.4 (vzw)
Flicker? As in a tiny movement of the screen? Or like when the screen is diming it pulses before going off (like a candle flicker)?

Once the clock fades away, the screen pulses. It's faint, and can really only be seen in a dark room.

Andy Anderson3

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
For me flicker is screen jumping from lock to app and back and forth with no time to stop app or to swipe unlock. The only to stop is remove battery. Seems to happen most often with Audible app. Have Vz Note 3 with 4.4.4.
Help please...

tostler

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's a video of my screen flicker, it's only the lower 1/3 of the screen. This is a Verizon Moto X (2013) running 4.4.4.
The video is slowed down 50% to show some more detail of the flicker. I don't believe it matters what the notification is as I've seen this behavior for a variety of notification sources.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7w5kuu25hbkase/Moto%20X%20%282013%29%20Screen%20flicker.mp4?dl=0[/video]

Gavelwrench

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me with a Moto X (2013), though it's gradually gotten worse over the past few months. It started out as a purple flicker along the bottom of the screen, identical to what the linked video shows. It gradually creeped up to cover the entire bottom half of the screen during the flicker, and now the entire display flickers purple whenever Active Display kicks in (though the bottom half seems out of sync with its flicker). It also happens whenever I press the power button to turn the display on or off, though I'm not sure if that's also related to Active Display starting up and/or disabling.

Hard to say if this is a software issue or hardware (though it does worry me that it's getting worse over time). Waiting to see if there's any improvement once the Moto X 2013s are updated to Lollipop...

Bensalem

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue with the screen flicker that developed a couple months ago. And yes, it is getting worse and it is annoying. I contacted Motorola Customer Support and they could not render satisfactory assistance. Since the phone is no longer under warranty, I will have to live with this annoying Moto X phone until my contract expires in 7 months. Long term reliability of the Moto X? Sadly, not good.

DrColg8

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Same thing on my wife's Droid Maxx. (Mine does not). Trying to find a fix online but no answers although there seems to be a significant number of folks with the same insult. Often her home screen is perfect but increases checking email or surfing. Love to be a hero on this one if anybody did fix?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci