08-16-2014 03:10 PM
34 12
tools
  1. militarymedic23's Avatar
    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
    08-05-2014 10:05 PM
  2. mhettrich's Avatar
    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
    If you can hold out for a few weeks I would do that. Chances are we will find out what the X+1 is within that time frame.
    jephanie likes this.
    08-05-2014 11:06 PM
  3. cjohn4043's Avatar
    I have a feeling we will hear something about the X+1 and Moto 360 later this week or sometime next week. Just my guess.
    08-05-2014 11:10 PM
  4. mogelijk's Avatar
    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
    I think it depends on what you want. If you want to stay with a smaller phone, you might be better buying the X now. If you want an inexpensive but quality phone, then the X is currently a great deal, starting at $299 on Motomaker. If you want a larger screen and/or a faster processor then you are better to wait. It really all depends on what is important to you in a phone.
    08-05-2014 11:31 PM
  5. kansasandroid1's Avatar
    I would hold out a little while and wait. I feel like Motorola has something big
    08-06-2014 12:13 AM
  6. Clocks's Avatar
    I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

    I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.
    08-06-2014 10:00 AM
  7. mogelijk's Avatar
    I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

    I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.
    I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.
    08-06-2014 11:27 AM
  8. PapaGary's Avatar
    I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.
    Yep. The MSRP on the X was $499 when it was introduced.
    08-06-2014 11:35 AM
  9. mogelijk's Avatar
    Yep. The MSRP on the X was $499 when it was introduced.
    I don't recall the unlocked price when it was released, merely that it was $199 on contract and Motomaker only worked for the AT&T versions.
    08-06-2014 12:04 PM
  10. shamelin73's Avatar
    I would get the X. The new one won't be discounted. I got the GSM developers version for $324. Can't do better for a great phone.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    08-06-2014 01:31 PM
  11. Ry's Avatar
    The X+1 won't be as cheap as the current Moto X.
    08-06-2014 02:03 PM
  12. ScottMGS's Avatar
    If you're someone who isn't spec-driven I'd go with the X. If you can wait a couple weeks wait and see what the X+1 is like but, as others have said, it will certainly cost a chunk at first. The X will still be available in a couple weeks and it'll still be a great phone.
    08-06-2014 03:35 PM
  13. davidnc's Avatar
    I agee with what everyone else has said .The Moto X+1 will cost more. The Moto X and is still a great little phone. I guess it all depends on your budget.
    08-07-2014 11:34 AM
  14. erwaso's Avatar
    WAIT!
    08-07-2014 11:44 AM
  15. BuffOrange's Avatar
    Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

    I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.
    PeninaD likes this.
    08-07-2014 11:59 AM
  16. mogelijk's Avatar
    Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

    I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.
    I'm not sure what to think. The recent sales on the Moto X have stated "while supplies last"; which at least sounds like they are trying to sell out of the phone. Of course, it is possible they are trying to sell out of many of the colors on Motomaker so they can switch Motomaker over for the X+1 and that the Moto X will only be available in basic colors (like black and white) after the X+1 is released.
    08-07-2014 03:43 PM
  17. PapaGary's Avatar
    Here is something to think about:

    -When I bought my XT1053 16GB Moto X on Cyber Monday it was $349,00 or $150 off the MSR of $499.00

    -The 64GB XT1053 is now on sale for $374.99

    -The next generation of Moto X will "probably" list for at least $499.00 for a 16GB unit

    I know what I'd do.
    08-07-2014 04:01 PM
  18. moelsen's Avatar
    GSM Dev Edition was $649 when it was released. The carrier editions were either that or $599 from what I remember. Then there a bunch of huge discounts that brought us to where we are today.
    08-07-2014 10:10 PM
  19. armon_p's Avatar
    The X is currently free on ATT with a 2 year contract which tells me the next iteration is coming very soon. I think i'm going to pick one up now then when the price drops on the next (Black Friday maybe), I'll upgrade.
    08-08-2014 03:27 AM
  20. oldDummy's Avatar
    Think the Moto X [64Gb] is a steal at $401 out the door.
    Believe refinements have been made to hardware/ROM, they run 4.4.3.
    same as my current [32Gb] but there are subtle differences.
    Appears you use items to their limits, (I like that).
    Don't believe money is the driving factor in your decision.
    My recommendation is to buy the current 64Gb models.
    If you have buyers remorse when the X + 1 comes out, buy that.
    Good Luck.
    .
    08-08-2014 08:30 AM
  21. Ry's Avatar
    Think the Moto X [64Gb] is a steal at $401 out the door.
    Believe refinements have been made to hardware/ROM, they run 4.4.3.
    same as my current [32Gb] but there are subtle differences.
    Appears you use items to their limits, (I like that).
    Don't believe money is the driving factor in your decision.
    My recommendation is to buy the current 64Gb models.
    If you have buyers remorse when the X + 1 comes out, buy that.
    Good Luck.
    .
    They run 4.4.4.

    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    dcastillo and benhaube like this.
    08-13-2014 01:17 PM
  22. ScottMGS's Avatar
    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.
    This.
    08-13-2014 02:19 PM
  23. JulesJam's Avatar
    On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?
    The Moto X+1 is set to be released 9/25/14. I would wait.
    08-13-2014 02:56 PM
  24. oldDummy's Avatar
    They run 4.4.4.

    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Ahh..Verizon.
    Unlocked is 4.4.3
    08-13-2014 04:00 PM
  25. dmark44's Avatar
    I guess it comes down to price vs having the latest and greatest. Also, if you just can't hold out another month.

    I just got a lot more excited about the Moto X+1 thanks to the photo comparison leak on phandroid.com. The picture shows that there's only a modest increase in height/width vs the Moto X. That was my biggest concern. If the camera turns out to be appreciably better than the X, I could see myself upgrading sooner than later (also the rumored 2900mah battery would be awesome!)

    Link:
    http://phandroid.com/2014/08/15/moto...n-with-moto-x/

    Sent from my Moto X
    PeninaD likes this.
    08-15-2014 08:40 PM
34 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-10-2017, 11:51 PM
  2. Security Reports sent to Samsung
    By jmagid51 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 01:45 AM
  3. Had to switch back to iPhone :(
    By toilet-handle in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
  4. Heading to the UK in a few days
    By aflacks in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 11:48 PM
  5. Looking for this calendar widget....Help!
    By thomasmayne in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD