.vcf/contacts via sms

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Its mind boggling that this great phone doesn't support a basic feature that every feature phone (aka dumb phone) supports.
Any alternatives to receiving and sending actual vcf's?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you just Share the contact from the People app? It gives you various ways to share the contact. Not sure how it shares via messaging.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tested this out. If you go to your People app, select a contact, then tap the Menu button, Share, and then your messaging app, you can send the contact as a vCard.

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where you see that option. My screen shot shows the options that I have to share. No text message. Unless you have a third party app installed

Attachments

• 36220.jpg
    36220.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 84

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Hangouts as my default SMS. Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So messaging doesn't support it, only hangouts.
I guess google trying to force you to use hangouts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That wouldn't entirely make sense to me. I don't have any other stock messaging app on my phone, since it's a Nexus. I'll check in my wife's M8 when I get a chance. In the meantime, could WhatsApp be interfering? Maybe you could see what happens if you uninstall it.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is the default SMS on my Moto X and it works. Is there another app? I may have disabled something and forgotten. I'm not sure about "force", but hangouts is the official sms/mms/chat app for Google's Android - so any OEM that doesn't include their own modified version is using Hangouts as the default.

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
My moto x on at&t has two apps: messaging and hangouts. They're both native apps, and I cannot even disable messaging.
I've never used hangouts because there's too much going on. The messaging app is a simple sms-mms app. Hangouts has much more: SMS, MMS, Google chatting, video hangouts and more. But now I see that hangouts has the crucial feature allowing you to share contacts simply so I'm going to use it and see if it works for me

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hangouts is the default SMS on my Moto X and it works. Is there another app? I may have disabled something and forgotten. I'm not sure about "force", but hangouts is the official sms/mms/chat app for Google's Android - so any OEM that doesn't include their own modified version is using Hangouts as the default.

My Moto X with Verizon has the AOSP Messaging app pre-installed. I use hangouts, but the other one is definitely there. If I go into the AOSP Messaging app it says sending is disabled because I have Hangouts as the default.

As far as sending contacts via MMS. It works fine for me in both Hangouts and AOSP Messaging. All I have to do is go into the contacts app and share it to the SMS app.

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
The good news is that on the new messenger 5.0, you can send contacts. Just like through hangouts. Although only after first finding the contact in people app, then sharing through messenger or hangouts. No direct attaching yet.

PNut91red

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Were you ever able to find a satisfactory response to your question? Even better, were you able to find an app that will integrate phone, contacts, sms, etc.? Seems so basic and yet so impossible with the native 1+1 apps. Thanks
Pam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781