09-15-2014 03:58 PM
72 123
tools
    I'm very conflicted. On one hand, I want to keep my current moto x since it's still the best phone I've ever owned, besides the battery life I'm getting (usually average 2-2.5 hrs screen on time after 8-9 hrs off the charger). On the other, I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure as to what I shouldupgrade too. I have 3 options, the new moto x, the new iphone (I'll explain), and the sony xperia x3c. The new motox would have been my next phone if it weren't for how big it was. I absolutely love everything about the new moto x, besides it's big *** screen (even then I still would have bought it if it had a larger battery to accompany said screen, 2600+ mAh or so). Still, I'm considering it. The iphone is an option (the last option) because the new one has a nice size screen, apple makes great hardware (they all feel very premium) and I assume it'll go well with my ipad (i rarely use) and my macbook air (but I lose access to the hundreds of dollars I've spent on the google play store, and as a big google user, I'll miss some apps I use a lot). Lastly is the xperia z3c, which again has me settling. It isn't a huge upgrade from my current x (besides the battery life which I'm sure is much better), but I lose the stock android look, the timely updates (I don't trust sony), and the nice design (the z3c looks great, just not as good as either x, and it has a glass back which I don't trust after shattering the back on my n4). Overall I'm just very conflicted, I think what I'll do is try out the new x, see if I can manage with the larger screen (I really like that leather), and if I'm not totally happy, return it and keep my x. Still, this would have been a million times simpler had moto did like apple and sony and just made 2 phones, one with a smaller 4.7 inch 720p display, and one with a larger 5.5 inch 1080p display. Same phone (give or take a few mAh), same leather back, same metal frame, same good looks and software(and maybe a little cheaper).
    09-09-2014 08:30 PM
    Since the first MotoX will get new software features of the new Moto I see no reason to upgrade. Too bad they couldn't keep a mini motox in the lineup.

Posted with my MotoX, no case needed.
    09-10-2014 09:41 AM
    I'm very conflicted. On one hand, I want to keep my current moto x since it's still the best phone I've ever owned, besides the battery life I'm getting (usually average 2-2.5 hrs screen on time after 8-9 hrs off the charger). On the other, I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure as to what I shouldupgrade too. I have 3 options, the new moto x, the new iphone (I'll explain), and the sony xperia x3c. The new motox would have been my next phone if it weren't for how big it was. I absolutely love everything about the new moto x, besides it's big *** screen (even then I still would have bought it if it had a larger battery to accompany said screen, 2600+ mAh or so). Still, I'm considering it. The iphone is an option (the last option) because the new one has a nice size screen, apple makes great hardware (they all feel very premium) and I assume it'll go well with my ipad (i rarely use) and my macbook air (but I lose access to the hundreds of dollars I've spent on the google play store, and as a big google user, I'll miss some apps I use a lot). Lastly is the xperia z3c, which again has me settling. It isn't a huge upgrade from my current x (besides the battery life which I'm sure is much better), but I lose the stock android look, the timely updates (I don't trust sony), and the nice design (the z3c looks great, just not as good as either x, and it has a glass back which I don't trust after shattering the back on my n4). Overall I'm just very conflicted, I think what I'll do is try out the new x, see if I can manage with the larger screen (I really like that leather), and if I'm not totally happy, return it and keep my x. Still, this would have been a million times simpler had moto did like apple and sony and just made 2 phones, one with a smaller 4.7 inch 720p display, and one with a larger 5.5 inch 1080p display. Same phone (give or take a few mAh), same leather back, same metal frame, same good looks and software(and maybe a little cheaper).
    I can completely understand your dilemma, and I'll be honest the best choice for you might be iPhone 6 in this predicament.

But if you can manage with the bigger size of the new Moto X, I would definitely going for it instead. But it depends on your preferences, camera, customisation, functionality, etc.

I really wish Motorola had kept the 4.7 inch screen size, even if they wanted to upgrade it they should've made it 1080p but not much bigger. :/
    09-10-2014 10:29 AM
    Keeping it.
    I've never upgraded under two years, but mostly, this thing is so perfect for me that even a newer Moto X isn't tempting. Especially since the newer one abandons the form factor which is a big part of why I love my Moto X.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Moto offer both sizes next round or even possibly later this round.
    If I could get the new specs (minus the screen size) in the same package as the old X, I would upgrade in a second..
    ScottMGS likes this.
    09-10-2014 11:59 AM
    Good Question! I'll be keeping mine. I was reluctant to go Moto again after they promised upgrades to the Photon, and then failed to deliver. I won't be going near the New X, I've already dragged around a ginormous phone, the LG Optimus S, a great phone, but the size gets tedious.

I was due an upgrade, and Best Buy had me out the door with a brand new orig MotoX for $20. The size is perfect, battery life better than the old LG, and it's already gone to 4.4.4

You'd have to say I upgraded to the original...
    09-10-2014 12:00 PM
    Good Question! I'll be keeping mine. I was reluctant to go Moto again after they promised upgrades to the Photon, and then failed to deliver. I won't be going near the New X, I've already dragged around a ginormous phone, the LG Optimus S, a great phone, but the size gets tedious.

I was due an upgrade, and Best Buy had me out the door with a brand new orig MotoX for $20. The size is perfect, battery life better than the old LG, and it's already gone to 4.4.4

You'd have to say I upgraded to the original...
    It's also going to get Android L, stay tuned for that as it will be an amazing update.
    eric002 likes this.
    09-10-2014 12:34 PM
    I miss having a bigger screen and I really want a white phone. My Moto X is black. I am looking at getting a S5 or maybe Note 3 or 4 in the next few months. As soon as I can convince my husband. The Moto X is a great phone. No bugs, no lag, etc. I am not sure if I will keep it and let my son use it to replace his iPod or as a back up or sell it cheap. I have listed it on Craigslist without much interest.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-10-2014 12:35 PM
    I'm keeping mine. I've never been happier with a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Pollster likes this.
    09-10-2014 10:37 PM
    I'm keeping mine. I've never been happier with a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    True that. As much as I keep on looking at that new Moto X with the new model maker and whatnot, I keep on asking myself what am I not happy with my current phone about? There's nothing that I'm unhappy with. I just can't wait for the new OS Android l to come out that's all

Posted via Android Central App
    09-11-2014 04:01 AM
    I'll also be keeping my original X. Will be a year old in November. Has not disappointed me in that time and does everything I need it to. So, I have no reason to upgrade even with an upgrade available on a spare line. Can't wait for L to be released.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
    09-11-2014 05:02 AM
    At first, I planned on keeping my 1st gen X. But, I now think I am going to snag the new one. I love the thought of leather and some of the new features, including the bigger screen. It still looks to have a great form factor as well.
    09-11-2014 08:15 AM
    Keeping for now (my X is only about 6 months old). Might upgrade in another half a year, but my current one just works for me day to day and does what I need it for--I'm sort of curious how "future proof" this device might be, which is one of the criticisms I read from people who thought the specs were not up to snuff. So far I've had no problems.
    09-11-2014 11:00 AM
    Keeping my Moto X(2013).
    However I may upgrade to the 2014 Moto X.
    09-12-2014 11:58 AM
    Keeping for now (my X is only about 6 months old). Might upgrade in another half a year, but my current one just works for me day to day and does what I need it for--I'm sort of curious how "future proof" this device might be, which is one of the criticisms I read from people who thought the specs were not up to snuff. So far I've had no problems.
    Don't worry too much about that, the specifications could technically last you another year or two. Android doesn't need beastly specifications to run smoothly anymore.
    Bill Hong likes this.
    09-12-2014 12:51 PM
    Keeping my Moto X(2013).
    However I may upgrade to the 2014 Moto X.
    Oh I never specified this but I'll be keeping my OG Moto X as an awesome backup phone once I get my Moto X 2014.
    09-12-2014 06:31 PM
    According to Pocketnow's review, the camera might just be better on the 2013 device compared to the 2014 one.

Moto X 2014 vs Moto X 2013:

The camera of the original Moto X tops out at 10 MP 16:9, the newer one also drops to 10 MP in 16:9 mode. The newer one also has a tighter lens, making you walk further away from subjects to get everyone/everything in one shot.

Oh and the original one also takes better lowlight photos.

Since the original Moto X performed great and had a good battery life, and a camera that is rougly equivalent to the 2014 edition, I would've definitely stayed with my original Moto X.
    edgar and weksa like this.
    09-14-2014 11:27 AM
    Agree with most here. Mine's still taking great photos in good or low light, average battery cycle is right at 2.5 days with medium usage, and Android "L" is coming around the corner so "Ok Google," I'm good-to-go...
    09-14-2014 02:22 PM
    Holding onto mine

Works fine
    09-14-2014 08:55 PM
    The problem for any manufacturer when making a product that's truly appreciated by customers is that it's hard to sway them from it when they want customers to buy their latest stuff.

Moto X may not be everyone's cup of tea, but many who have one feel it's the best phone they've ever had. It's hard to tare people away from that.
    eric002 and dmark44 like this.
    09-15-2014 06:27 AM
    The problem for any manufacturer when making a product that's truly appreciated by customers is that it's hard to sway them from it when they want customers to buy their latest stuff.

Moto X may not be everyone's cup of tea, but many who have one feel it's the best phone they've ever had. It's hard to tare people away from that.
    That's very true. .take and of course with the new phone they make doesn't have any significant new changes in it that's also another factor as well.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2014 08:15 AM
    I'll most likely keep the 2013 X until "L" comes out and see how it runs on the 2013 X. The features of the X are what drew me to but the 2300 battery on the 2014 X is what's preventing me from ordering it out the gate.
    09-15-2014 03:46 PM
    I acknowledge that overall it's a probably a better phone. I certainly have the means to get it. However, I don't need it. I'm not unsatisfied with my current Moto X. If I were to get the new one, I'd mainly be buying it because it's new. I just don't have a good enough reason to buy it right now, especially at $500.
    +1 this is EXACTLY how I feel, I'm going to hold out and hope my current X gets most of the new features but I'm more than satisfied with my X and I haven't been able to say that about a "1 year old android" phone in a loooong time.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-15-2014 03:58 PM
72 123