Group SMS in hangouts

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
One of the features that recently disappeared in one of the recent updates is the ability to send SMS to more then one recipient.
Any solutions?

Posted via Android Central App

alortimor

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
It appears as though on version 2.3.75067996 of hangouts on kitkat 4.4.4 group sms has been removed.

Which version are you runnnig?

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It appears as though on version 2.3.75067996 of hangouts on kitkat 4.4.4 group sms has been removed.

Which version are you runnnig?

Working for me with that version. I can open an old one or start a new one, after entering the first contact it says "Anyone else?" under the green bar next to the first contacts name

alortimor

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
The previous version I had had the same behaviour as you describe. "anyone else?" use to show, but with the latest upgrade, "anyone else?" no longer appears.
I'm running hangouts on 4.4.4 on a nexus 5.

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Just to clarify: I have that long version too. And it allows for group MMS. I'm asking specifically about group SMS. Meaning, SMS to more then one recipient.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't sending a group SMS send the same message to each person but as separate threads?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Ry, here's the thing. When you use SMS group text, you are sending a message to two people. Each is unaware the other is getting it. In group MMS, you are starting a group discussion, where each person sees the other recipients, and replies go to all members of the group.
In the attached screen shot, you can see the difference: the first two messages are pre-update, showing 2 messages sent, to to people, via SMS. The third message is one message sent via MMS, to both people. Screenshot_2014-09-18-19-05-52.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry, here's the thing. When you use SMS group text, you are sending a message to two people. Each is unaware the other is getting it. In group MMS, you are starting a group discussion, where each person sees the other recipients, and replies go to all members of the group.
In the attached screen shot, you can see the difference: the first two messages are pre-update, showing 2 messages sent, to to people, via SMS. The third message is one message sent via MMS, to both people. View attachment 137337

That's understood. Most people want group messaging working correctly, where it's everyone seeing all replies. Sounds like you just want mass texting.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

monitorengineer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, I'm assuming you are integrated with google voice? Go to Settings -> SMS -> send sms from and change to your carrier number and NOT your google voice number...should fix it.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, I'm assuming you are integrated with google voice? Go to Settings -> SMS -> send sms from and change to your carrier number and NOT your google voice number...should fix it.
I checked Hangouts, Messaging, and Voice and I couldn't find that setting anywhere. Would you please clarify?

mbloflin

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It's in the SMS settings not the main Hangout settings. Worked perfectly. Thanks, I've been wondering what happened to group SMS for weeks.

Johnny Dee

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Some of us do want mass texting [where mass = 5 people in our club] but dont want MMS or everyone to see all replies. It used to work like that on Android right? & it does on iOS still, I assume. Is there a way of getting it back, as there is no setting I can find that is referred to in this thread.[Nexus 5, 4.4.4]

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Some of us do want mass texting [where mass = 5 people in our club] but dont want MMS or everyone to see all replies. It used to work like that on Android right? & it does on iOS still, I assume. Is there a way of getting it back, as there is no setting I can find that is referred to in this thread.[Nexus 5, 4.4.4]
In SMS settings of whichever messaging app you use, there should be an option for "Group Messaging: Use MMS to send a single message when the are multiple recipients." Uncheck this box, and whenever you text a group, you are sending individual messages to every person.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta