Assist 'home' without location? Can I just activate?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I always have my GPS and location service off, can I still use the home assist feature? As in, just turn the assist feature on regardless of location?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you cannot activate Assist at home without setting your home location and having gps and location services on. I keep location set on high accuracy (gps on) and have set my home location. The way to keep the battery from draining is to turn off Google Location Services. You don't need G Location Svcs for Assist, Navigating, Maps, etc. My gps is only active when it senses me getting home (then it becomes inactive) or leaving home for driving Assist or navigating. I charge my phone every day and a half. I really think you should try the setup I've described and see for yourself.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I think you cannot activate Assist at home without setting your home location and having gps and location services on. I keep location set on high accuracy (gps on) and have set my home location. The way to keep the battery from draining is to turn off Google Location Services. You don't need G Location Svcs for Assist, Navigating, Maps, etc. My gps is only active when it senses me getting home (then it becomes inactive) or leaving home for driving Assist or navigating. I charge my phone every day and a half. I really think you should try the setup I've described and see for yourself.

Thanks for that info. What is your usual screen time? One of the reasons I don't turn on Assist because of fears of the GPS draining the battery too much.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Will do, thanks!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. Didn't work. I have location on, high accuracy mode, my addy was already in home assist, home assist function was pressed. Then i got home and called myself but it just rang as usual.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I've never used the Home Assist feature. I do use the Google Now cards that tell me ETA estimates for places I go often or if I'm away from home it indicates travel time back home.

I just turned on Home Assist and dialed my number. It rang as usual without Assist. So I flicked the icon to close the Assist app and dialed again. This time when I dialed my number, it rang and then I got this announcement: "Call from xxxxxx, say answer or ignore. Answer goes to speaker phone, ignore goes to a prompt asking if I want to send a text back to the caller.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmmm. Still didn't work. : /

Drat. I really want it. :D. That way i can hook it up to my speakers, listen to my music and then the music would be interupted and i'd hear who was calling. hmmm.

Didn't work for text either. :p!

Oh, but i never got an icon.

edit: so now i got an icon. the phone part worked but not the text. *sigh*

Last edited:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm. Still didn't work. : /

Drat. I really want it. :D. That way i can hook it up to my speakers, listen to my music and then the music would be interupted and i'd hear who was calling. hmmm.

Didn't work for text either. :p!

Oh, but i never got an icon.

edit: so now i got an icon. the phone part worked but not the text. *sigh*

I just got both to work. Text should work if the call does.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just got both to work. Text should work if the call does.

I get the feeling my text program is interfering. My phone seems like it *wants* to say something but the drop down notification window of my chomp text or possibly my pop up notification tool is disrupting the process. Was too lazy to do all sorts of settings test but I really think that's it.

Big thanks all, I think overall it's working. :)

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Which text app are you using? Whichever one it is needs to be checked in the Settings > Active Display > Select apps > check the box by your text app. Now that you have the icon, it should do the active notification if your screen is off. In response to another post, I don't really check my screen time since I always seem to go more than a day. Some things I do are to touch the power button to turn off the screen instead of leaving it on for a minute to time out. That could save 50 minutes or more of screen time every day depending on how many times your screen is on. Also, I turn off my phone at night. I understand some may need or want to keep it on all night, but checking messages in the morning is good enough for me.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Side note that may be helpful if you play music over Bluetooth at home, I have noticed that even when I have GPS & Location completely off, my Moto X still always knows when I'm driving (I don't use the "Home" assist feature so I can't comment on that).

I think it may have to do with the bluetooth in my car. It's an aftermarket system (Link below), but it seems to have somehow learned over the months that whenever GPS would detect I was driving, I was connected to this particular device. I was unsure, but the other day, I went to get my oil changed and forgot to turn BT on my Moto X off. When they started my car to move it into the garage, my phone connected to the bluetooth system, and the Driving assist icon appeared in the status bar, even though I was sitting in a building and not moving (with GPS off). Now, I just make sure BT is on and driving assist works perfectly even without GPS. I have it set up as a "trusted device", but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Strangely i haven't been able to get it to recognize i'm home since the first time. *sigh*

"Which text app are you using?"

I use Chomp, but i also use a seperate pop up notifier and wouldn't be suprised if that's the issue. But can't test it cuz it doesn't recognize i'm home. :p

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Strangely i haven't been able to get it to recognize i'm home since the first time. *sigh*

"Which text app are you using?"

I use Chomp, but i also use a seperate pop up notifier and wouldn't be suprised if that's the issue. But can't test it cuz it doesn't recognize i'm home. :p

When it asks for your address, did you hit the GPS button on the upper right? When I set mine up by adding my address, it never came on. When I used the GPS icon for it to find me, it works. Flawlessly too so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12