Bringing New features to the 2013 Moto X

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I know that we have yet to see the update that will bring all of the great software updates to the 2013 Moto X that are currently on the 2014 model.

My question is: When it DOES happen, will it be in the form of a downloadable app update from Google Play, or will it be incorporated into an Android L update? If it's the latter, I might not be able to get those new features on my Moto X for many months, as I don't have service with one of the major phone providers.

Does anyone know how things like this are usually done?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't think all of the new features will make it. I am hoping the improved active notifications will.

I don't know how they do things but I figure if we haven't gotten any of the new features yet then the best we can hope for is their work is incorporated into the L update efforts.

My guess is if they keep their software as separate apps they will be released to the play store. If they consolidate to a single Moto app, it may need to be in the OS update.

Sent from my Moto X

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I think because all the features are in the new Moto app we will have to wait for L. When we get L we will have the Moto app that looks like the new phone. Minus a lot of gesture features because we don’t have the sensors.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think because all the features are in the new Moto app we will have to wait for L. When we get L we will have the Moto app that looks like the new phone. Minus a lot of gesture features because we don’t have the sensors.

So, does that mean that if I'm stuck on Android 4.4.3, I won't be able to get the new app, even after Android L is released to everyone else?

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The features that they release as app updates (if any) will likely be available to 4.4+. On Google+ one of the Motorola people said that some of the features will require an OS update (meaning either 4.4.5 or L) and that some features require the Moto X 2014 hardware features and, therefore, won't be coming to the Moto X 2013 phones. The person did not say which features fall in which category.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If I am right then yes. Why are you stuck on 4.4.3?

I have the Moto X on Republic Wireless. They don't move nearly as fast with updates as the major carriers. I don't necessarily NEED to have Android L, but I would like some of the features that the 2014 Moto X has, namely the ability to create my own "trigger phrase" for the voice control.

I don't really understand why an app on Google Play wouldn't work if I have an older version of Android. Would they just prevent it from working with anything older than Android L? That seems odd to me. (Moto X is my first smartphone, so I'm not too familiar with updates and how the whole thing works).

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand why an app on Google Play wouldn't work if I have an older version of Android. Would they just prevent it from working with anything older than Android L? That seems odd to me. (Moto X is my first smartphone, so I'm not too familiar with updates and how the whole thing works).

What that probably means is that the app uses an OS feature that is only in the latest OS release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon