11-02-2014 12:03 AM
50 12
tools
    1) It's not so unique. It's like a pocket dial. It's accidental. But it's a pain when I have lost a folder full of apps, and having to restore it is a bigger pain. Especially when I don't quite remember what apps I lost.
    This is easily solved by training yourself to switch the screen off when you're done using the device.

Posted via the Android Central App
    bdlmotox and benhaube like this.
    10-28-2014 10:19 AM
    This post pretty much sums up the state of the smart phone world and how they've got people buying in to their game. "To keep it budget friendly" this user has TWO phones! How many real world users a) have a budget for that or b) would even see any kind of real need for that? Thing is, I fell in to the trap also. I can't tell you how much time I used to put in to get all my album art to show up. How much time did I spend avoiding any useful human interaction in order to get my frakking album art to show up? I shudder to think about it. So now the solution becomes clear! I need ANOTHER phone to carry around.

I think I'll pass.
    The thing is we all have our priorities when it comes to what we want to work perfectly or just to get by. Phones are like Swiss Army knives, they do a lot of stuff but really only do a fraction of them well. Instead of carrying a phone and a music player, I carry two phones, no big deal.

You just gave me sadface.
    The truth hurts. I dismissed the 5C for over a year thinking it was a cheap plastic phone... but it's a really nice performing cheap plastic phone.
    10-28-2014 04:36 PM

The truth hurts.
    If the best you can come up with is to buy two phones, the only thing that is going to hurt is the the size of your bank account.
    benhaube likes this.
    10-28-2014 05:57 PM
    If the best you can come up with is to buy two phones, the only thing that is going to hurt is the the size of your bank account.
    Come back and share with us what great phone you end up with.
    10-28-2014 08:03 PM
    I'm thinking a rotary dial phone is the best I can do.
    10-28-2014 09:00 PM
    I also *never* have done a factory reset, as I think I had all these issues from the start. I just learned to deal with them.
    The odd thing about that statement is you said in the beginning everything was fine. Honestly, your best option based on what we know is a factory reset. Some of us gave other options and opinions (some better than others). If you don't want to do a factory reset, that's fine. But if the phone is driving you that insane, I would think you would do a factory reset to see if it will help the phone. Or you can keep suggesting our options are wrong and keep dealing with the phone. Your choice.
    benhaube likes this.
    10-28-2014 09:18 PM
    So I was an iPhone user but was lured by the Moto X last year. At first things were fun, exciting, and I enjoyed finding new apps and the ability to customize things in ways the bad apple wouldn't allow. To be fair, I love the form factor of the phone. I think the size and feel are perfect for me. I don't want it larger, and I don't want it smaller. Of course, now the new Moto X is larger, so I'm out of luck in the upgrade department.

But then strange things would happen fairly consistently. Here's a few of these issues.

1) Programs on my desktop would vanish accidentally.
    2) I'd occasionally shake the phone (in anger) and wonder why the heck it was doing things that I didn't expect.
    3) Or I'd twist the phone hoping to get the camera working and it wouldn't start.
    4) I'd have to shut down apps because it was running so slow.
    5) I'd be trying to send a text and no input was being accepted until I killed the sms app and restarted it.
    5) Sometimes, the battery would drain very rapidly.

Is my experience unique in the android world?

So now I'm tempted to go back to the iPhone. Specifically, an iPhone 5s, since I paid 400 bucks to have this unlocked phone and I can't see forking over top dollar again just a year later. I don't remember nearly the litany of times with my 4s that I wanted to throw it out the window, outside of the fact that I was on Sprint and Sprint was garbage in my area. I don't need to be aggravated by technology...I need it to work.

It's a slippery slope we are all on with these upgrades and fees, and these phone manufacturers have done a great job of making us believe we somehow need the newest hardware. I'm just not buying it anymore.
    I can sort of relate to your story. I had the IPhone 4 and then upgraded to the Galaxy S3. The battery life was wretched, apps would do weird things and overall the phone was a nightmare to use very similar to yours. Six months in, I was ready to go back to Apple. So, I bit the bullet and went to the IPhone 5. I was in Pure Heaven for awhile. Then I started to see glitchy stuff with that phone. The battery life was much better than the S3 and that made me just keep the IPhone. I vowed never to go back to Android and was Apple all the way. I totally invested into the Apple ecosystem. After using the IPhone for awhile, I got bored with the antiquated IOS UI. There were no widgets and the IOS platform was not all that stable.

I had always been interested in the Note series. The size and stylus was intriguing. I spoke to several people who raved about the device which intrigued me even more. One day, I decided to walk into a Verizon store and they started to throw incentives at me to upgrade. I called my wife and told her that I am going to do the upgrade. They offered me the Verizon Edge program which for me, was less risky than opening a new 2 year contract. After all, if I did not like the Note 3 after a month in, I could upgrade with less money out of pocket than breaking the 2 year contract.

Normally, I go through phones every year. The Note 3 to a certain degree is the only phone that I have wanted to keep longer than a year. Its also the only phone that I liked better than the IPhone.

Recently, I am up for an upgrade and with the Note 4 that has come out, I am shipping for a new phone. This time I am not sure I want to stay with Samsung. Maybe the grass is greener with other phone manufacturers and frankly, I never had a Pure Android experience or something closer to stock. So, I decided to order a Moto X and try it out.

The Moto X I had mixed feelings about. I found the Stock Android as being plain and required tweaking and adjusting. To a certain degree, I was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3 as the battery was not that great and was having to tinker with it more than I would like. So, I returned the device and I have my Note 3 again.

Where will I go from here? Not sure. The Note 4 is intriguing. The Nexus 6 is but, I might keep my Note 3. I do not hate the Note 3. I am just having problems finding something better. I hope that answers your question. Btw, the battery life on the Note 3 rocks and is way better than the IPhone.
    10-28-2014 09:20 PM
    The odd thing about that statement is you said in the beginning everything was fine. Honestly, your best option based on what we know is a factory reset. Some of us gave other options and opinions (some better than others). If you don't want to do a factory reset, that's fine. But if the phone is driving you that insane, I would think you would do a factory reset to see if it will help the phone. Or you can keep suggesting our options are wrong and keep dealing with the phone. Your choice.
    I haven't suggested the suggestions were wrong. I "thanked" someguy for his suggestions, and also mentioned deleting apps. Do I think a factory reset will help? No. Why? Because the lagginess is gone when no apps are running. The camera twist works. But then I run a few things and eventually, I have to kill apps again. And a reset won't resolve software issues, like how often Facebook freezes, or how long my weather app takes to open, or the truncated messages that happen when someone with an iPhone sends me a long text. These are just things, in one form or another, that we all learn to live with.

So I'm not going to go through all the effort and time-wasting exercises needed to put things back to the way they *are.* I've been through the same process going all the way back to 1987 when I built my first PC, a 386/25. Build, rebuild, upgrade, wipe hard drive, restore. It never ended. Neither did the money and time I spent on it, as it was a "hobby." It's just not fun anymore, and there's no payoff. And if I'd have just bought a little Apple stock instead of buying a new video card, I wouldn't be dealing with this right now, either.
    10-28-2014 09:58 PM
    Where will I go from here? Not sure. The Note 4 is intriguing. The Nexus 6 is but, I might keep my Note 3. I do not hate the Note 3. I am just having problems finding something better. I hope that answers your question. Btw, the battery life on the Note 3 rocks and is way better than the IPhone.
    It doesn't answer my question, but it does relate, and shows how the upgrade cycle lures us in. Thanks for sharing.
    10-28-2014 10:01 PM
    I haven't suggested the suggestions were wrong. I "thanked" someguy for his suggestions, and also mentioned deleting apps. Do I think a factory reset will help? No. Why? Because the lagginess is gone when no apps are running. The camera twist works. But then I run a few things and eventually, I have to kill apps again. And a reset won't resolve software issues, like how often Facebook freezes, or how long my weather app takes to open, or the truncated messages that happen when someone with an iPhone sends me a long text. These are just things, in one form or another, that we all learn to live with..
    A factory reset will help all of these things. Something is not right in your install. Reinstalling an app does not always help the issues that app is giving you. I understand your reasoning here. You take apps out and the problem goes away. You put them back in and you have the problems again. It is not that simple though. The OS still controls all of those apps so if something is wrong there nothing will work right. Just try a fresh install and see if it works. From the sounds of things it could not get any worse so why not just try?
    10-29-2014 07:37 AM
    Problems I've related are not going to change with an OS reset. End of story.
    10-29-2014 01:18 PM
    Sorry I guess you know it all then. Why even post on a forum? Obviously you don't want help. I call troll I'm done with this.
    10-29-2014 05:08 PM
    Sorry I guess you know it all then. Why even post on a forum? Obviously you don't want help. I call troll I'm done with this.
    That goes both ways. You think an OS reset will suddenly change my opinion that everything will suddenly work better. Read my post title: Not so impressed anymore. That's my opinion, and it's based on a year's worth of experience. Do you really believe everything changes with a reset? From the first day, I had to learn my way around Android. We all know there are issues, software bugs, and poorly designed apps that hog resources. Does an OS reset resolve those issues? No, so not wanting to reset my phone doesn't make me a troll. Though your insistence that it will might make you one.
    10-29-2014 05:24 PM
    If your this "unhappy" sell the phone and go to a crapple store and get a iPhone and be done with it. No one is making you keep your moto x

10-29-2014 07:11 PM
    If your this "unhappy" sell the phone and go to a crapple store and get a iPhone and be done with it. No one is making you keep your moto x

I paid 400+ to buy this phone and if you've read the thread, you'd know that I'm not about to toss that much more money to a manufacturer this easily.
    10-29-2014 07:16 PM
    Well then listen to the people who know what they are talking about and do a reset and see if it helps you. If you won't take the advice then this thread is pointless.

10-29-2014 08:38 PM
    Well then listen to the people who know what they are talking about and do a reset and see if it helps you. If you won't take the advice then this thread is pointless.

Actually, I never asked for anyone to give me solutions. There was one question in my original post, in case anyone missed it:

Now, if you read that as a call for tech support, you need to get your eyes checked. I've already spent hours troubleshooting phones with an iPhone on Sprint and then TMobile now. And nothing ever got better (well, TMobile has been mostly better than Sprint, at least) . Just like reading a newspaper, same shi* different day.

Though I do appreciate the few people who offered some insight and suggestions without taking my critisism of cell phone marketing and upgrade tactics as personal attacks, I've got no more time to spend on the rest of you Android fan boys.
    10-29-2014 09:18 PM
    Actually, I never asked for anyone to give me solutions. There was one question in my original post, in case anyone missed it:

And the first few posts told you. And then, naturally, we wanted to help a fellow user so you can enjoy your phone again. Not sure what's up with the 'anger' (for lack of a better word) towards the help other than the 'extra phone' suggestion. It also seems you have had similar problems with an iPhone in the past.
    I've already spent hours troubleshooting phones with an iPhone on Sprint and then TMobile now. And nothing ever got better
    So your experience seems to be the same no matter the phone?

In conclusion, I'm sorry for your issues with your OG X. Really I am cause it's truly an awesome phone. My OG X ran perfectly every day. And if for some reason you want to know why it did, reread my first post response.
    10-29-2014 10:07 PM
    It also seems you have had similar problems with an iPhone in the past.
    So your experience seems to be the same no matter the phone?

In conclusion, I'm sorry for your issues with your OG X. Really I am cause it's truly an awesome phone. My OG X ran perfectly every day. And if for some reason you want to know why it did, reread my first post response.
    My comments about Sprint and TMobile support calls were related to calls being dropped and poor signals strength. Interestingly enough, the phone support reps never asked me to reset my phone. Not once.

The general issue that's been raised here is that everyone reads whatever context they want to defend whatever it is you value most. For some, it's the eternal android vs. Apple debate. For others...who knows?

I bought the Moto X because I believed it was the best phone available at the time. And believe it or not, I am fine with that.
    10-29-2014 10:45 PM
    And if for some reason you want to know why it did, reread my first post response.
    By the way, I did read your post and I deleted some apps back when I first read it, mostly by going through the running app list and seeing which were running processes that I knew I had no use for. So... Thanks for that.
    10-29-2014 10:53 PM
    If you're not willing to factory reset then I'd suggest getting rid of any apps that you're not using on the phone; whether the apps are running processes or not. Also with a factory reset the worst you've got to lose is an hour or two out of your day at best the phone will run well. This isn't quite the same but when I had my GS3 I ran custom ROMs on it to get rid of TW and sometimes I'd have to do a reset and reinstall a given ROM for things to run smoothly. Whatever (bug) happened during your OS install may be causing crappy resource management and a factory reset may help...or not.

My Moto X has been flawless and has provided me with a much better user experience than my previous iPhone 4 or Samsung GS3 so it kind of sucks that you're not able to enjoy it as much.
    10-29-2014 11:02 PM
    Haha. Looks like you posted a kiss at the end of that statement.

10-29-2014 11:23 PM
    What's the big deal with doing a factory reset? I plan to do one when the 5.0 update hits. It's good to start fresh every once in a while. Operating systems build up junk and slow down over time. It's normal b
    11-01-2014 11:48 PM

Now, if you read that as a call for tech support, you need to get your eyes checked. I've already spent hours troubleshooting phones with an iPhone on Sprint and then TMobile now. And nothing ever got better (well, TMobile has been mostly better than Sprint, at least) . Just like reading a newspaper, same shi* different day.

Though I do appreciate the few people who offered some insight and suggestions without taking my critisism of cell phone marketing and upgrade tactics as personal attacks, I've got no more time to spend on the rest of you Android fan boys.
    Why get so **** hurt? No one here is attacking you, but you are becoming very rude. Everyone is just saying that doing a factory reset will likely solve your problems, and you, for some reason, are being an *** about it. I, personally, couldn't care less what you do, but don't treat people like **** for trying to help you out. That won't make you many friends around here, or anywhere else.
    11-01-2014 11:53 PM
    Nothing wrong with doing a factory reset. I keep trying to get my wife to reset her iPhone 4s after this horrendous update. She won't so it.

All devices need to be refreshed sometimes. Don't ask for help if you think you know it all and aren't willing to try suggestions. Back up your text messages and make sure your pics are backed up to G+ or somewhere else.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-02-2014 12:03 AM
50 12