Not so impressed anymore

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are a passenger and Assist fires up you need to hold and pull down on the notification in the notification shade. Then select “I’m not driving”. Most notifications have options if you do this. Like media controls for media apps.

Sometimes you just have a bad install even on a new phone. Factory reset might fix a lot of your issues.

I'm fully aware of how to tell Assist that I'm not driving. That's not the point. Here's the point: if fully half (or more) of the time I have to interact with a feature to turn it off, then it isn't really a feature for me. It's an annoyance.

I believe my phone is actual working exactly as intended. I don't need to delete apps for it to work better, and a system reset won't change a thing. What I need, and what we all need, is to stop forking our money over for more tech that lasts a year before it's not good enough, and ends up in a landfill. First it was desktop computers, and now it's cell phones. Next up, smart watches!

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
These are quite surprising issues. I have been using Android for 6 years and never experienced these kind of problems. I am inclined to say its unique. Battery issues were there but this got corrected about two years ago with new models. Current Moto X 2013 is super fast for me and never slow or laggy. The twist to activate camera is a bit tricky...there is a certain way to move and a certain speed to do it. Rest is fine.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
As a former iPhone user (with a Mac desktop & MacBook Air) I bought the Moto X this summer. I sort of wanted to play with an Android phone having picked up a refurbed Nexus 7 for cheap and liking the OS. I keep my Moto X stock with no added launcher, ART, or any app that saves battery life or speeds anything else up. Having said that I find the Moto X to be a solid phone, no crashes, no delays, battery lasts for the day, it just works. On the other hand the Nexus 7 will freeze and often reboots on its own.

When the Moto X 2014 was announced I preordered and got one of the first. I liked the more informative active displays, IR sensors but didn't care for the size. Another reason I didn't keep it was the cost of upgrading to the new X while having to sell the old one. I figured it would cost at least $300 if not more to upgrade to 32GB 2014.

I use iTunes for music and podcast management. Trying to make iTunes work on Android is frustrating. I like all my albums to show album art and uploading to Google Play doesn't always guarantee the cover transfer. Basically I'm used to iTunes music management and forcing it into an Android device isn't pretty. I thought about getting another iPod and then it dawned on me why not just get another iPhone?

To keep it budget friendly I was able to pick up a refurbed 16GB iPhone 5C for about $230 on swappa. When I want iTunes music and a phone I use the 5C, otherwise I go with the Moto X since I'm fine with all the Google+/Google Now features. This also turned out cheaper than moving to the 2014 Moto X as I now have two phones with distinctly unique features that I care about. And really even the cheap 5C has a better camera than the 2014 Moto X!

This post pretty much sums up the state of the smart phone world and how they've got people buying in to their game. "To keep it budget friendly" this user has TWO phones! How many real world users a) have a budget for that or b) would even see any kind of real need for that? Thing is, I fell in to the trap also. I can't tell you how much time I used to put in to get all my album art to show up. How much time did I spend avoiding any useful human interaction in order to get my frakking album art to show up? I shudder to think about it. So now the solution becomes clear! I need ANOTHER phone to carry around.

I think I'll pass.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
These are quite surprising issues. I have been using Android for 6 years and never experienced these kind of problems. I am inclined to say its unique. Battery issues were there but this got corrected about two years ago with new models. Current Moto X 2013 is super fast for me and never slow or laggy. The twist to activate camera is a bit tricky...there is a certain way to move and a certain speed to do it. Rest is fine.

Yep, sure, they are unique problems. No one ever had a slow or laggy phone around here. Nope, never. Why even have a forum at all, since no one ever has problems. Seriously?

Last edited:

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
1) It's not so unique. It's like a pocket dial. It's accidental. But it's a pain when I have lost a folder full of apps, and having to restore it is a bigger pain. Especially when I don't quite remember what apps I lost.

This is easily solved by training yourself to switch the screen off when you're done using the device.

Posted via the Android Central App

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This post pretty much sums up the state of the smart phone world and how they've got people buying in to their game. "To keep it budget friendly" this user has TWO phones! How many real world users a) have a budget for that or b) would even see any kind of real need for that? Thing is, I fell in to the trap also. I can't tell you how much time I used to put in to get all my album art to show up. How much time did I spend avoiding any useful human interaction in order to get my frakking album art to show up? I shudder to think about it. So now the solution becomes clear! I need ANOTHER phone to carry around.

I think I'll pass.
The thing is we all have our priorities when it comes to what we want to work perfectly or just to get by. Phones are like Swiss Army knives, they do a lot of stuff but really only do a fraction of them well. Instead of carrying a phone and a music player, I carry two phones, no big deal. :)

You just gave me sadface.
The truth hurts. :'( I dismissed the 5C for over a year thinking it was a cheap plastic phone... but it's a really nice performing cheap plastic phone.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I also *never* have done a factory reset, as I think I had all these issues from the start. I just learned to deal with them.

The odd thing about that statement is you said in the beginning everything was fine. Honestly, your best option based on what we know is a factory reset. Some of us gave other options and opinions (some better than others). If you don't want to do a factory reset, that's fine. But if the phone is driving you that insane, I would think you would do a factory reset to see if it will help the phone. Or you can keep suggesting our options are wrong and keep dealing with the phone. Your choice.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So I was an iPhone user but was lured by the Moto X last year. At first things were fun, exciting, and I enjoyed finding new apps and the ability to customize things in ways the bad apple wouldn't allow. To be fair, I love the form factor of the phone. I think the size and feel are perfect for me. I don't want it larger, and I don't want it smaller. Of course, now the new Moto X is larger, so I'm out of luck in the upgrade department.

But then strange things would happen fairly consistently. Here's a few of these issues.

1) Programs on my desktop would vanish accidentally.
2) I'd occasionally shake the phone (in anger) and wonder why the heck it was doing things that I didn't expect.
3) Or I'd twist the phone hoping to get the camera working and it wouldn't start.
4) I'd have to shut down apps because it was running so slow.
5) I'd be trying to send a text and no input was being accepted until I killed the sms app and restarted it.
5) Sometimes, the battery would drain very rapidly.

Is my experience unique in the android world?

So now I'm tempted to go back to the iPhone. Specifically, an iPhone 5s, since I paid 400 bucks to have this unlocked phone and I can't see forking over top dollar again just a year later. I don't remember nearly the litany of times with my 4s that I wanted to throw it out the window, outside of the fact that I was on Sprint and Sprint was garbage in my area. I don't need to be aggravated by technology...I need it to work.

It's a slippery slope we are all on with these upgrades and fees, and these phone manufacturers have done a great job of making us believe we somehow need the newest hardware. I'm just not buying it anymore.

I can sort of relate to your story. I had the IPhone 4 and then upgraded to the Galaxy S3. The battery life was wretched, apps would do weird things and overall the phone was a nightmare to use very similar to yours. Six months in, I was ready to go back to Apple. So, I bit the bullet and went to the IPhone 5. I was in Pure Heaven for awhile. Then I started to see glitchy stuff with that phone. The battery life was much better than the S3 and that made me just keep the IPhone. I vowed never to go back to Android and was Apple all the way. I totally invested into the Apple ecosystem. After using the IPhone for awhile, I got bored with the antiquated IOS UI. There were no widgets and the IOS platform was not all that stable.

I had always been interested in the Note series. The size and stylus was intriguing. I spoke to several people who raved about the device which intrigued me even more. One day, I decided to walk into a Verizon store and they started to throw incentives at me to upgrade. I called my wife and told her that I am going to do the upgrade. They offered me the Verizon Edge program which for me, was less risky than opening a new 2 year contract. After all, if I did not like the Note 3 after a month in, I could upgrade with less money out of pocket than breaking the 2 year contract.

Normally, I go through phones every year. The Note 3 to a certain degree is the only phone that I have wanted to keep longer than a year. Its also the only phone that I liked better than the IPhone.

Recently, I am up for an upgrade and with the Note 4 that has come out, I am shipping for a new phone. This time I am not sure I want to stay with Samsung. Maybe the grass is greener with other phone manufacturers and frankly, I never had a Pure Android experience or something closer to stock. So, I decided to order a Moto X and try it out.

The Moto X I had mixed feelings about. I found the Stock Android as being plain and required tweaking and adjusting. To a certain degree, I was reliving my experience with the Galaxy S3 as the battery was not that great and was having to tinker with it more than I would like. So, I returned the device and I have my Note 3 again.

Where will I go from here? Not sure. The Note 4 is intriguing. The Nexus 6 is but, I might keep my Note 3. I do not hate the Note 3. I am just having problems finding something better. I hope that answers your question. Btw, the battery life on the Note 3 rocks and is way better than the IPhone.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The odd thing about that statement is you said in the beginning everything was fine. Honestly, your best option based on what we know is a factory reset. Some of us gave other options and opinions (some better than others). If you don't want to do a factory reset, that's fine. But if the phone is driving you that insane, I would think you would do a factory reset to see if it will help the phone. Or you can keep suggesting our options are wrong and keep dealing with the phone. Your choice.

I haven't suggested the suggestions were wrong. I "thanked" someguy for his suggestions, and also mentioned deleting apps. Do I think a factory reset will help? No. Why? Because the lagginess is gone when no apps are running. The camera twist works. But then I run a few things and eventually, I have to kill apps again. And a reset won't resolve software issues, like how often Facebook freezes, or how long my weather app takes to open, or the truncated messages that happen when someone with an iPhone sends me a long text. These are just things, in one form or another, that we all learn to live with.

So I'm not going to go through all the effort and time-wasting exercises needed to put things back to the way they *are.* I've been through the same process going all the way back to 1987 when I built my first PC, a 386/25. Build, rebuild, upgrade, wipe hard drive, restore. It never ended. Neither did the money and time I spent on it, as it was a "hobby." It's just not fun anymore, and there's no payoff. And if I'd have just bought a little Apple stock instead of buying a new video card, I wouldn't be dealing with this right now, either.

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Where will I go from here? Not sure. The Note 4 is intriguing. The Nexus 6 is but, I might keep my Note 3. I do not hate the Note 3. I am just having problems finding something better. I hope that answers your question. Btw, the battery life on the Note 3 rocks and is way better than the IPhone.

It doesn't answer my question, but it does relate, and shows how the upgrade cycle lures us in. Thanks for sharing.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I haven't suggested the suggestions were wrong. I "thanked" someguy for his suggestions, and also mentioned deleting apps. Do I think a factory reset will help? No. Why? Because the lagginess is gone when no apps are running. The camera twist works. But then I run a few things and eventually, I have to kill apps again. And a reset won't resolve software issues, like how often Facebook freezes, or how long my weather app takes to open, or the truncated messages that happen when someone with an iPhone sends me a long text. These are just things, in one form or another, that we all learn to live with..

A factory reset will help all of these things. Something is not right in your install. Reinstalling an app does not always help the issues that app is giving you. I understand your reasoning here. You take apps out and the problem goes away. You put them back in and you have the problems again. It is not that simple though. The OS still controls all of those apps so if something is wrong there nothing will work right. Just try a fresh install and see if it works. From the sounds of things it could not get any worse so why not just try?

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I guess you know it all then. Why even post on a forum? Obviously you don't want help. I call troll I'm done with this.

That goes both ways. You think an OS reset will suddenly change my opinion that everything will suddenly work better. Read my post title: Not so impressed anymore. That's my opinion, and it's based on a year's worth of experience. Do you really believe everything changes with a reset? From the first day, I had to learn my way around Android. We all know there are issues, software bugs, and poorly designed apps that hog resources. Does an OS reset resolve those issues? No, so not wanting to reset my phone doesn't make me a troll. Though your insistence that it will might make you one.

Last edited:

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
If your this "unhappy" sell the phone and go to a crapple store and get a iPhone and be done with it. No one is making you keep your moto x

bdlmotox

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
If your this "unhappy" sell the phone and go to a crapple store and get a iPhone and be done with it. No one is making you keep your moto x

I paid 400+ to buy this phone and if you've read the thread, you'd know that I'm not about to toss that much more money to a manufacturer this easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae