Okay everyone so this is what I learned this morning about the moto x. I figured I would try to hit the Google search widget voice button to use my phone as a command for the first time and to my surprise it works quicker and more accurate live in touch with controls does. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I've reprogrammed and retrain my voice typing on my touchless controls a thousand times in the second I had that voice button it instantly responded without a timeout. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? Thanks for the input.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-12-2014 06:46 AM
    You're absolutely correct. The reason Touchless Control is slower is because the voice commands have to be routed to Google Now to complete the command. When we go directly with Google Now via the widget (or in other phones that allow the hot phrase "OK Google"), we skip the middleman Moto Voice/Touchless Control.
    11-12-2014 07:42 AM
    You're absolutely correct. The reason Touchless Control is slower is because the voice commands have to be routed to Google Now to complete the command. When we go directly with Google Now via the widget (or in other phones that allow the hot phrase "OK Google"), we skip the middleman Moto Voice/Touchless Control.
    I think the more interesting facts here is a fact that that's why we bought the Moto X was because of the touchless control lol I mean I could hit the Google now widget on any phone if you know what I mean. The point is to be able to control the phone with your voice now the touchless controls does work sometimes but not nearly as accurately or speedy as when you hit the button on the widget.

11-12-2014 09:22 AM
    My touchless control is always accurate, unless I'm in a very loud place. You're right that it isn't as speedy and you could just press the button. The point is that the moto x doesn't need to be touched at all for this to work. Which is a perfectly good trade off

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-12-2014 09:58 AM
    My touchless control is always accurate, unless I'm in a very loud place. You're right that it isn't as speedy and you could just press the button. The point is that the moto x doesn't need to be touched at all for this to work. Which is a perfectly good trade off

Posted via the Android Central App
    See at this point with my moto x in my life, I would agree with you on me accuracy of it if it didn't time out all the time. I've noticed and when I say the launch phrase, it will time out. It never used to do this. I have retrained it a thousand times.. And trust me yes I'm a pro with technology I know what I'm doing. That's why I'm complaining now its almost been a year with my Moto X and everything else about it is fine the active display works beautifully just a touchless controls is screwing up now. I try to be trained it was quieter voices voices, louder voices, and it works for a few days and then stops working or start the time out more so.... Like I said, I plan on getting the Nexus 6 but still. Wow the new Moto X has dual microphones on the bottom maybe that helps it out for the touchless controls.

11-12-2014 10:32 AM
    Touchless Controls doesn't route ALL commands to Google Now. If you say "OK google now call bob smith mobile", it will place the call without routing the command through Google Now. The same goes for "read notifications". There may be others that I'm not aware of or can't think of right now.

Also, when I had the Moto X and Nexus 5 in a side-by-side comparison, I would say "ok google now" to start Touchless Controls, then tap the Google Search microphone icon before continuing the command, then speak the command for both phones to hear at the same time. In every test, either both interpreted the command correctly, neither did, or the Moto X got it right while the Nexus 5 got it wrong. Never once did the Nexus 5 get it right and the Moto X get it wrong. Of course, now (11 months later) I could get completely different results.

Regardless, the point of Touchless Controls is that you don't have to touch the phone AT ALL for certain things. In my case, accuracy is better with Touchless Controls, so I'll take the speed trade off any day.
    weksa likes this.
    11-12-2014 07:49 PM