Is there any way to automatically initiate voice activated keyboard while driving?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if there is any way to initiate a voice activated message while driving? If I say "Ok Google" "Send text to ..." the Hangouts Swiftkey keyboard pops up and I have to press the microphone to start dictating a message. I'd rather not press the microphone key while driving because it's pretty small. Is there a way to avoid having to press that key to start a message?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh.... If I say use Hangouts then it gives me the keyboard. Otherwise it seems to just let me dictate. I'll test it more when I'm actually in the car.
Thanks!

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I use Hangouts as my default SMS app. As mentioned, just say OK Google Now Send Text. It will do the rest via voice prompts...all hands free.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I also use hangouts for SMS. I always use the "ok Google, sent text" command while driving. It never pops up a keyboard for me. Maybe your voice dictation settings are screwed up?

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I usually include the message text in the original voice command - "OK Google now, send text <contact>, I'm on my way and should be there in 15 minutes".

I just wish it would repeat the message back to me for confirmation (like out dues when you reply to a text while driving) instead of displaying it on screen and asking "do you want to send this?"

Sent from my 2013 Moto X using TapaTalk

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I also use hangouts for SMS. I always use the "ok Google, sent text" command while driving. It never pops up a keyboard for me. Maybe your voice dictation settings are screwed up?
I think the problem was that when it came up with a prompt that said "use hangouts" I said to do that. My "assumption" was that I needed to specify a program to send the message. Apparently that's not so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy