Just a quick question here. I've had my Moto X for almost a year, and my son loves to play games on it. I have my old RAZR M, but I took the sim card out. I still have it cause the Moto X uses the micro sim. Right now, the phone connects to our WiFi, but it prompts me to log in with Google when we try to access the play store or chrome. He can only play the games that were on it when I turned it off (which are not many). If I put my old sim back in it, will we be able to access the play store? And will that conflict with my existing phone or service at all? Probably a stupid question, but I just never really thought about this until today.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-02-2014 06:43 PM
    Just a quick question here. I've had my Moto X for almost a year, and my son loves to play games on it. I have my old RAZR M, but I took the sim card out. I still have it cause the Moto X uses the micro sim. Right now, the phone connects to our WiFi, but it prompts me to log in with Google when we try to access the play store or chrome. He can only play the games that were on it when I turned it off (which are not many). If I put my old sim back in it, will we be able to access the play store? And will that conflict with my existing phone or service at all? Probably a stupid question, but I just never really thought about this until today.

You need to be logged into a Google account to access the Play Store.
    12-02-2014 06:55 PM
    Check your Play Store setup in a web browser (Google Play). If, when you try to install an app, you can choose the RAZR, you can install apps from a browser. (If you're asked to log in, log in with your gmail address and password.)
    12-02-2014 06:59 PM
    Sorry, should have clarified. I try to log in with my Google account when prompted, but it says there's an error and won't let me in. I just figured since my sim isn't in there that it won't let me. I'm starting to wonder if it will work if I turn cell and data off and then put my sim back in. I just don't know enough about sim cards I guess.

12-02-2014 07:24 PM
    What does the error say?

Google play store has nothing to do with the sim card, otherwise people who have sim cardless tablets wouldn't be able to use the Play Store.

Besides I fiddled around with my Moto X, downloaded some apps before I got the sim card for it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-02-2014 09:40 PM
    Thanks guys, got it done. Finally figured out that the WiFi was actually not connecting. It was showing the WiFi signal, but when I pulled the menu down, it was orange. I had to forget the connection, restart the phone, then reconnect it. Not sure if I had a setting wrong or what, but once I did that it connected fine. Had tons of updates ready for me too. I appreciate the replies. Made me feel pretty dumb cause the fix was so easy.

12-03-2014 06:18 AM
    Thanks for following up with your fix.

To make it clear to anyone who comes back and reads this later, your SIM only provides an Internet connection to your phone as an alternative to using WiFi. I have a couple of old phones and they make great mini-tablets, music players, and the like. Play store works just fine on them as long as they have some form of Internet connection.

The only real thing you need the SIM for, if it's a carrier-locked phone, is to check for Android version updates provided by the carrier.
    12-03-2014 11:19 AM