Why aren't my Hangouts notifications working?

jcrutchvt2010

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts notifications not working

I've had an issue with hangouts the last 3 days. Verizon Moto X on 4.4.4. Notifications are not delivered at all. I have to open up hangouts and go into each conversation to get the latest messages. I have seen other posts with the same issue with no resolution. I've tried clearing the cache partition, clearing the hangouts app data and cache with no resolution. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hangouts notifications not working

It might be either a server issue, or the new app is bugged.

From an AOSP M8

Jason302

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm also on Verizon had the same issue. Its been awhile and I just tried a factory reset. Notifications come in fine now but every message vibrates when i turn the sound on. I've unchecked every option for hepatic feedback and it still vibrates with the volume on.

Posted via Android Central App

jcrutchvt2010

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to refrain from doing a factory reset, if possible. I actually turned on airplane mode and turned it off and it has been working correctly after that since yesterday....Weird.

BradTheGeek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This issue is not confined to your device. i found this thread from a google search. I have an HTC one M7 where hangouts notifications are almost never working. this phone has had this issue on stock 4.4, CM 11 (not as bad but still happened), and now Stock lolliopop, where it seems even worse.

It annoys the crap out of my GF when I do not respond lol. her old Optimus G1 seems to be okay though. Personally I think it is a crappy app.

I am seeing speculation that it may be that Google thinks the message has been recieved elsewhere (an open chrome tab, extension or other device), since I have multiple devices, and computers all logged in to gmail or hangouts or a hangouts extension, this makes some sense as a bug.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing speculation that it may be that Google thinks the message has been recieved elsewhere (an open chrome tab, extension or other device), since I have multiple devices, and computers all logged in to gmail or hangouts or a hangouts extension, this makes some sense as a bug.

I'm not sure that's the case. I open a Gmail tab for each of my Google-based accounts on one of my work computers. If my brother sends me a message that would show in Hangouts I get a notification on my phone, including as an Active Display notification. Actually, the tab in the browser has stopped indicating a message.

mnmshorty

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Hangouts is not my default messaging app. I get the notifications sometimes. Maybe after I open the app on my phone if I have been using hangouts elsewhere. The problem may be that it thinks the message had been delivered to another device. Very annoying when I don't realize until the next morning that I missed messages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca