What network will be available for my AT&T Android Phone in the UK?

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Roaming in UK with AT&T Android Phone

So... My 2013 AT&T Moto X is now apparently unlocked by AT&T so with any luck I should be able to use it with a UK SIM over the holidays.

I have a couple of questions, firstly, what network(s) would be compatible with my moto?

Secondly, and this is the major one... Obviously I have my main number with AT&T but I forward my voicemail to a Google Voice number. Is there any way of setting this up, maybe by using GV, to forward all my calls to my US number to my GV number so it will ring on my Moto X connected to a UK data network?

Basically I want to use a local sim so I can use data without having to worry about roaming charges, but I still want to receive calls to my US number....

Let me know if you guys have any tips!

Thanks!

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Roaming in UK with AT&T Android Phone

I was recently in the UK and bought a local sim card for the "3" network - and you can obviously get a sim from any of the other UK carriers. There are stores for the individual carriers like 3, Orange, Virgin, O2, etc. or else stores like Carphone Warehouse everywhere there (and as with anything, it will likely be cheaper to wait until you're out of the airport to purchase.) I'm with Verizon, which is CDMA, and it was no problem with my Moto X, so an AT&T phone should certainly be fine there. For 15 pounds (about $23) "3" gave me 30-days of unlimited data, 3000 texts and 300 minutes of voice, so no worries about data usage. I don't use GV so don't know how that would work - can you can access it over wifi? but when you put in the local sim you will lose your US number when it's in the phone. It gave me a UK number, but I wasn't looking to receive calls on my US number while I was there anyway, my friends knew to either email or Facebook if they really needed to get me. (And just a reminder, make sure you have one of those little pin things, or at least a paper clip, to be able to put your U.S. sim card back in when you are on the plane coming home. The "3" sales guy, who was very helpful, put in their sim, but when I was leaving I realized I didn't have anything to open the little drawer to put back my Verizon sim. Luckily I was able to get a paper clip from a United Airlines agent at the airport, but who knows if they will always have one.