google hangouts, google voice, hangouts dialer

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Can someone please explain in simple English what's the deal with these apps? What's the function of each one, whether one needs all 3, and what's going on with the "integration"?
Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have. And I have followed the news updates as they've come out. And I'm still a bit confused. So I asked in simple English to get a clear complete picture.

Posted via Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts allows you to chat with other Google users if you know their email address. Hangouts can also be used for your text messaging needs if you set it as your default text messaging app.

Voice is Google's re-branding of GrandCentral. You get a phone number from Google, you link it to any phone numbers you want to link it to. When someone calls your Voice number, it rings all the other phones. It can also be used for text messaging. The text messaging capability can also be linked back to Hangouts, by default it's managed through the Voice app.

Hangouts Dialer is used in conjunction with Hangouts. You can use it to make IP-based phone calls, even if you don't have a Voice number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool