Moto x with lollipop

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue megatomic has is the '13 X isn't getting it's updates as fast as it did last year. Ry explained the reasons why which I agree with. However, the only issue I have with Moto's update is that on the '14 X, the ATT version doesn't have Lollipop yet. Only the Pure and VZW versions do. So, is it a carrier issue or is Moto just not releasing it? As nice at would be to have Lollipop on the '13 X (my wife currently has the VZW Developer Edition), Kit Kat works very well on the '13 X. Unless you need/want a specific feature of Lollipop, be patient for a clean build.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
When I did soak tests for the XT1056 Sprint, they usually started late and rolled out after other carriers. Each carrier has their own special software quirks.

For example, Sprint notified users of voice mail as a background text seen by the phone and not the user. Then you have other custom items the carrier extra on it.

So if you have a Moto E, Moto G, Moto X xt1053 Developer Edition, or Moto X Pure then the updates are from Motorola. Otherwise you need to wait for your carrier to work out it's special software and tweaks.

Posted via the Android Central App

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue megatomic has is the '13 X isn't getting it's updates as fast as it did last year. Ry explained the reasons why which I agree with. However, the only issue I have with Moto's update is that on the '14 X, the ATT version doesn't have Lollipop yet. Only the Pure and VZW versions do. So, is it a carrier issue or is Moto just not releasing it? As nice at would be to have Lollipop on the '13 X (my wife currently has the VZW Developer Edition), Kit Kat works very well on the '13 X. Unless you need/want a specific feature of Lollipop, be patient for a clean build.
Oh I'm patient, I'll take it when/if it ever arrives. My real issue here is that we are dealing with a different Motorola than we had this time last year. Communication has slowed to about nothing (I'm all over G+). My gut instinct tells me that Lenovo has already made some changes and we may not like them.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh I'm patient, I'll take it when/if it ever arrives. My real issue here is that we are dealing with a different Motorola than we had this time last year. Communication has slowed to about nothing (I'm all over G+). My gut instinct tells me that Lenovo has already made some changes and we may not like them.

I hope I'm wrong.

You're not hearing about the 2013 Moto X because it's not ready. There are other devices that are ahead. Motorola employees were all over the Moto X (2nd gen) and Moto G Lollipop launches as they were launching.

Punit Soni never gave exact dates, just that the updates were coming. That hasn't changed.

(Oh and Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to the Motorola employees too)

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The whole Lollipop rollout is slow, not just 2013 Moto X. Heck, most of 2014's phones don't have it, and other manufacturers are not talking exact time frames on the previous generation of phones they've promised.
What can you find as far as exact dates you'll see Android 5 on 2013 Moto X contemporaries like
Samsung Galaxy S4?
LG G2?
HTC M7?

One last thing. Since this phone is obviously not first in line for updates anymore, please don't give me Lollipop until it's ready. What all I've been reading doesn't make it sound ready.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Also a lot of third party apps still haven't been updated for lollipop yet. So there really isn't much point in rushing things only to find you have broken apps.

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be updated before spring 2015. :p
In the meantime KitKat is running just fine on My little Moto X(2013).
So I can wait until its ready,since as I can't really do anything about it anyhoo ha.

As a sidenote :
I do have Lollipop om My Moto X (2014) had it forever it seems,ha :)

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
As a sidenote :
I do have Lollipop om My Moto X (2014) had it forever it seems,ha :)
Then you must know it's as buggy as all get-out.
We just got word the major memory leak got fixed.
How was it having to reboot your phone after it became non-responsive?
Yes, I want L, Please don't give me a beta.
Been there done that.
Doing a soak is one thing, being a beta-tester quite a different animal.
Don't people get it?
It's not being widely distributed because it isn't ready.
Well, maybe now it's just about ready.
Seems Sony is getting ready to do the dirty with their flagships.
Some people depend on their phones.
For them a stable OS is mandatory.
Just saying.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Been there done that.
Don't people get it?
Just saying.
Other than Google search periodically crashing, I have had zero issues on my 2014 X. I have been amazed at how rock solid it is actually. I realize that some are having issues, but I am not seeing them. I was expecting a mess, but Google delivered the most complete product they have released in years, if ever.

Sent from my XT1096

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Other than Google search periodically crashing, I have had zero issues on my 2014 X. .......
Sent from my XT1096
My understanding is there are still serious issues with L. While a MAJOR memory leak was just corrected, apparently background apps are experiencing crashes still. Indications are the Qualcomm GPU driver has problems, for one. If driver updates are needed a new kernel would need to be compiled....and so on.
Hey, it's not like people aren't working on fixes, armies of techs are employed.
Let them work.
Meanwhile my Moto runs just fine.
Thank you very much.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Love my Moto X 2013 on 4.4.4, which runs great! Hate my N7 2012 after updating to 5.0 which became a lagging, freezing, random rebooting, worthless piece of crap. Bought a N7 2013 on Groupon for a great price and love it running 4.4.4. I'm fine with 4.4.4 on my Moto X 2013 until they've got a stable Lollipop build.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the heads-up.
hmm...seems to be click-bait, nothing more.
Author doesn't seem that knowledgeable of Android.
Mentions update to 5.01 might be coming soon.
Reports are 5.01-2[?] were released before memory leak was corrected.
Would hope we get 5.02[3], at least.
I wonder if carrier's like Verizon/ATT add fixes along with bloatware.
Would they share fixes?
Whatever, looking forward to it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Been there done that.
Don't people get it?
Just saying.

I havent had any reboots,or had to reboot phone because it was non-responsive.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I havent had any reboots,or had to reboot phone because it was non-responsive.

Maybe the issues are with older hardware.
That would help explain any delay, actual or perceived, with OG Moto X update.
Though I would think memory leaks are kernel specific rather than hardware specific.
Reports indicate there are problems, of that there is little doubt.
See: 5.0, 5.01,5.02,5.03[?]
Which are you running?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the issues are with older hardware.
That would help explain any delay, actual or perceived, with OG Moto X update.
Though I would think memory leaks are kernel specific rather than hardware specific.
Reports indicate there are problems, of that there is little doubt.
See: 5.0, 5.01,5.02,5.03[?]
Which are you running?
I am not saying it's bug free.
I haven't had any on my phone to cause me to have to reboot because phone has become non-responsive.
I am on version 5.0 on my Moto X 2014.
Also yes I'm "guessing " an update isn't to far off as well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Digging through some comments by Motorola employees on Google+

via Luciano Carvalho

we're working on the next wave of updates since Lollipop was made public. At this point everyone knows Lollipop was not quite ready for prime time when it was released, that's no secret. We're rounding it up and will release more updates really soon... Also, new versions of our awesome Moto experience apps will come up in the near future. Stay tuned.

no, they're not. We are just owning the mistake of rushing too fast to start pushing, and making it right with the proper fixes, performance and battery improvements as well. I can guarantee we're still pushing faster than any other OEM. BTW, I doubt any product on the range of Moto E, or even Moto G, from another brand will ever get any update, and we already started updating them.

Last edited:

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
It was reassuring to see Moto post publicly about this, hopefully now that the holiday season is behind us we'll see more info and/or results. Now that I have Lollipop on my N7 (running very smoothly too) I feel less eager about getting it on my OG Moto X. All along it's been more about getting the Moto X 2014 features ported back the OG Moto X for me, I just knew we weren't getting those until we got Lollipop.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
via Luciano Carvalho

First of all: peace! :) There is so much anger floating around this topic, I just want to reassure we're working really hard on it, and, as promised, our Moto products from 2014 and 2013 will be updated to Lollipop really soon.

At this point, you may have already heard that some people are receiving 5.0.2 based OTA pushes. That's a limited soak test roll out for some of our products in different regions of the world. The update will be pushed to a wider audience if no critical showstoppers are found by users who already received it.

Users on the 1st generation Moto products need to make sure they have the latest Motorola Updates Services from the Play Store. If you don't see it showing in your list of apps available for update (or it shows as not compatible) don't worry, it'll be available for you to download it really soon.

Updates of this nature take time. It's no secret that when 5.0 launched it still had bugs. And, when we update our products, we end up finding more bugs that need to be fixed. There are a lot of reasons for what that happen, but, basically, each phone has a unique set of components and a way they interact. When Google creates a new release, they don't validate it for all the possible combinations there are, and they won't fix anything that's not reproducible on a Nexus device, that's our job.

I hope you can appreciate the time we spend rounding up the performance and making sure you can continue to enjoy the awesome smooth experience of the amazing Moto products you've come to know and love.

Thank you all for the loyalty and support!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It was reassuring to see Moto post publicly about this, hopefully now that the holiday season is behind us we'll see more info and/or results. Now that I have Lollipop on my N7 (running very smoothly too) I feel less eager about getting it on my OG Moto X. All along it's been more about getting the Moto X 2014 features ported back the OG Moto X for me, I just knew we weren't getting those until we got Lollipop.

There is no doom and gloom.