Google update breaks Moto Assist on Moto-X (2013)!!! (4.4.4)

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE BELOW!

Still running KitKat 4.4.4 (Thankfully), but the last two updates to "Google" (Google search, Google Now, Google App., whatever they're calling it now) causes Moto Assist to not function when in listening mode after receiving a text or phone call. This sucks when using a Motorola Hint while driving!

At least you can uninstall the updates and get it working again on the old version. Too bad we don't have that option for Lollipop. (Running 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013), and not real happy).

Can someone running Lollipop and the latest version of Google (on a Moto-X (2013) tell me if Moto Assist is fixed?

Thanks!
Hooy

UPDATE! : FIXED IN MOTOROLA ASSIST UPDATE ON 1/24/15. THANKS MOTOROLA!!!

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited:

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just called my phone and texted myself. I was able to answer the call and converse, but the text screwed up big time. When the text came in it was announced, but the phone just kept sort of randomly beeping and would not play back the text. Had to back out to stop the beeping.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Just called my phone and texted myself. I was able to answer the call and converse, but the text screwed up big time. When the text came in it was announced, but the phone just kept sort of randomly beeping and would not play back the text. Had to back out to stop the beeping.

Yep. Same problem on stock 4.4.4. The listening feature produces garbled beep type sound. Google continues to disappoint. Where the heck is their QA team?

Ye

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine is hosed too. Tried uninstalling the Google app plus Voice and Assist, then installed Google 1st followed by other two. No improvement.

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi UR
I'm 90% sure no one has lollipop on the Moto X 2013 yet.

V.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oh.... Yeah. Now that you mention it. Thanks!

I too have tried uninstalling Assist and Google App and reinstalling with no joy.

Hoot

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Tried turning off Google Now "voice" stuff in its settings, said it's disabled for my device. Still seems like some kind of conflict or race condition hits when Moto Assist beeps after announcing the text.

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that explains why Assist was a freaky this afternoon.
Did anyone trying clearing cache through recovery?
I'll give that a shot.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I updated Google yesterday. I'm not seeing any of these issues that are being described. Is this just random on some peoples phones?

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Still running KitKat 4.4.4 (Thankfully), but the last two updates to "Google" (Google search, Google Now, Google App., whatever they're calling it now) causes Moto Assist to not function when in listening mode after receiving a text or phone call. This sucks when using a Motorola Hint while driving!

At least you can uninstall the updates and get it working again on the old version. Too bad we don't have that option for Lollipop. (Running 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013), and not real happy).

Can someone running Lollipop and the latest version of Google (on a Moto-X (2013) tell me if Moto Assist is fixed?

Thanks!
Hoot

Lollipop isn't out for the first generation Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue but its not isolated to 4.4.4! I have a Moto X 2013 running 4.4.2 and it freaks out every time that Driving Mode and Home Mode in Moto Assist and a text comes through. It just goes nuts.

I cleared cache through recovery. That is nothing to help. So I uninstalled the Google Search app update and rolled it back to the factory fresh version. I can confirm that Moto Assist via Home/Driving Mode is WORKING NOW.

So the problem is definitely Google Search's recent update. Just uninstall/rollback and you'll be fine for now.

GOOGLE FIX YO S***! AND STOP BREAKING OUR DEVICES!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was able to answer a call.

But text messages are broken.

I too am experiencing this issue.

Motorola Moto X XT1060
Android 4.4.4
System version: 212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US
Build number: KXA21.12-L1.26