Google update breaks Moto Assist on Moto-X (2013)!!! (4.4.4)

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I downgraded the Google search app to 3.4 and it works perfectly. Tried the 4.0 and 4.1 versions and while they looked good, they were buggy.

mrtom2000

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Its there. Its blue and just says google. Just uninstall updates to it. You may need to change your view to all apps to see it

In all apps, I have "google app" with the blue G icon. The bottom to uninstall updates is disabled. Tried force stop, no change. How do I uninstall? Thanks!

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
In all apps, I have "google app" with the blue G icon. The bottom to uninstall updates is disabled. Tried force stop, no change. How do I uninstall? Thanks!

Go to the play store on your phone, look for the google app, click uninstall and it will be reverted back to the original version on your phone that came with your OS.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I removed the google launcher and replaced it with the NOVA launcher. Assist works but only if the phone is awake and unlocked and then sometimes it doesnt work at all. Sure hope 5.0.1 or whatever their calling it now corrects this. Between my chrome browsers unstable security and the google android launcher being a POS ive about had it with this google ****..

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just uninstalled the google updates and moto assist works fine again...I know this is a year old phone, but a lot of people may still be using it due to the lackluster battery of the new one. Would love to see more on it.

RocketmanN7

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Same here, moto assist unable to read text messages. Google please fix this soon!!!!! First you destroyed my nexus 7 with Lollipop and now you're messing with my Moto X. What is going on at Google???? They really need to get their act together, or there will be no more consumer confidence.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Quoted from the Motorola Moto X users' forum:

"You can uninstall the update and then follow the instructions below to get back to the last version before the newest that seems to have an issue.

You can find it here.
Google Search 3.6.16.1614640.arm APK Download - APKMirror

Make sure you only install the Dec 3rd one for 3.6 only, nothing newer. Turn off any automatic updates in the playstore if you have it set."

I've done this and Assist works again. And it's a newer version, so you don't have to go all the way back to the version that came out of the factory.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Ha, was blaming my wife for messing up.
She told me her Moto X wasn't reading messages in the car.
Darn, now I have to tell her she didn't screw it up, Google did.

briaom

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Thank you ! Uninstalling the most recent update of Google App & Google + worked for me.

I noticed recently that while driving, Moto Assist was alerting me that I received a text, but would not read the received, or allow me to reply. Once I uninstalled these most recent versions, Moto Assist works fine again.

baldypal

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I want to confirm that this fix worked for both my Moto X and my wife's. It's going to be difficult to not hit the UPDATE ALL button in Play Store until this is/if/when is fixed.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Moto Assist 2.6.1 at APKMirror

I found this today and I have installed it was well as the latest Google App update. I won't be able to test my phone until I drive home from work later tonight but my fingers are crossed. But the Assist app update installs fine, no errors and the app seems fine when I opened it after the install was done.

Boyd Kelley

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I emailed Motorola because I received update notices today from Google and Motorola regarding Google now and Assist. I updated both apps because assist stated update was bug fix. Here's what Motorola says:
It looks like a bug that was created by a recent update to Google Search (1/9). We are working on a a fix for this bug and expect a fix to be available soon. In the interim, if you uninstall updates to Google Search, this will also fix the bug.
▶ Show quoted text

Last edited:

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Assist v2.6.1 did not fix the issue we are all experiencing with the newer versions of the Google Search app. I had to roll back again.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I just experienced this issue over the weekend. I was connected to Bluetooth in the car. Assist announced an incoming text, asked me to say "listen" and then went haywire with stutters and beeps. Then I couldn't get the Play Music app to play after that.

Anyway, I rolled back the Google app as instructed on this thread and everything's better. I just wanted to thank everyone for posting!

Sent from my Moto X