Google update breaks Moto Assist on Moto-X (2013)!!! (4.4.4)

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The only visible change I could see in Assist 2.6.1 was support for Lollipop downtime settings.

Moto X was a prototype for some features included with Lollipop. That some overlap-conflicts are present is inevitable. Moto has their work cut out for them in order to get the upgrade right. I think they will, but it won't be quick or painless. It didn't help that Google threw Lollipop out the door prematurely.
But it is what it is.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Great thread, was really annoyed that something "broke" on my phone. So used to always installing the latest updates...

Nancy R

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I am so happy I finally found this discussion--I went so far as to reset to factory settings and still having the problem. I'm not quite "tech-challenged" but could I ask you or any kind person available to explain specifically what you did to fix this (the app or system and where I would find them)? I honestly thought my six-month old phone was done for! Thank you!

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings-->Apps--> Google App, select uninstall updates. it will ask you to revert to prior version. press Yes.
Also disable auto update or it will re-install the bad update.

Last edited:

Nancy R

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate your reply, but when I click on the three dots, the only option I get is Update. May I confirm--it is in Playstore and it's called Google App or just Google? Either way, I guess the only option I'm getting is update.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I was wondering what happened. My texts come through, the lady tries to talk and just repeats the first syllable. Cool, at least I know it's not some random app I dl'ed.

Posted via the Android Central App

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate your reply, but when I click on the three dots, the only option I get is Update. May I confirm--it is in Playstore and it's called Google App or just Google? Either way, I guess the only option I'm getting is update.

You can do this on a per-app basis as described by shetach (I'm not sure why you're not seeing the Auto-Update checkbox) or you can disable auto-update on a global scope by swiping left to access Google Play's menu and going to "Settings". Select the appropriate option for the "Auto-update apps" setting.

Nancy R

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
It worked through the global Google Play settings--excellent! Thank you! This is a great forum and the only one I seemed to find that had the answer to this issue. You have a new fan!

Icegoddess

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, never mind. I uninstalled all updates (the only option I had). I figured out how to get the APK to my phone, but when I installed, it said Google not installed. I checked the app info and it says Version 3.9.0.1321795.arm. The APK was a 3.6.16xxxx. I did a test Text Message to myself from my computer and it seems to be working properly now.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
A Motorola Assist update is now live on the Play Store, and it works fine with the latest version of Google Search.

jonratner999

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm. New moto assist update fixes newest google search. It is safe to download newest Google app. Just finished testing and it worked fine on verizon moto x 2013 with 4.44

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So it's safe to update Google and then update Assist or would it be better to uninstall and re-install both?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So it's safe to update Google and then update Assist or would it be better to uninstall and re-install both?

Update all the things.

I'm on the latest Assist and Google apps and have no issues with text messages now.

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Assist problem continues: I updated Assist and Google app. As soon as I updated Assist app, the "Reply with a text message", "Voice Reply" option disappeared. So I removed the update and those options reappeared but resulted in the following glitch:
OK Google Now - phone responds
Send text to (contact name) - phone recognizes contact and asks if I want to send this text. I respond yes and my text is sent.
Contact responds to my text and I'm asked if I want to hear the text now.
I say "Yes" and the text is read to me.
I'm asked if I want to respond to text and say "Yes" - It then sounds like the phone is trying to initiate the next step but instead, it keeps repeating the same sound, like the needle getting stuck on your scratched up old Led Zeppelin album and I have to exit the process completely. Everything is fine until I try to respond to a text. Anyone else experience this issue? Suggestions? :-\

Yep...Home and Driving, calls and texts (Hangout)...all is well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech