Google update breaks Moto Assist on Moto-X (2013)!!! (4.4.4)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Assist problem continues: I updated Assist and Google app. As soon as I updated Assist app, the "Reply with a text message", "Voice Reply" option disappeared. So I removed the update and those options reappeared but resulted in the following glitch:
OK Google Now - phone responds
Send text to (contact name) - phone recognizes contact and asks if I want to send this text. I respond yes and my text is sent.
Contact responds to my text and I'm asked if I want to hear the text now.
I say "Yes" and the text is read to me.
I'm asked if I want to respond to text and say "Yes" - It then sounds like the phone is trying to initiate the next step but instead, it keeps repeating the same sound, like the needle getting stuck on your scratched up old Led Zeppelin album and I have to exit the process completely. Everything is fine until I try to respond to a text. Anyone else experience this issue? Suggestions? :-\

While in Driving/Home mode?

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had to uninstall updates to Assist and Google in order to rectify the issue for now so the following are my current versions:
Assist = V 2.1.12
Google Search = V 3.4.16.1149292arm
Touchless Control = V 4.3.14.1
What do I need to do that will enable me to have the most current versions without negatively impacting Assist?

Setttings > Apps > Swipe to All > Scroll to Assist, Google App, and Touchless Control

David Herman1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Lollipop is still having problems with Assist even after current update on Moto G secong gen. While driving Assist does nothing even though I have the correct box checked to talk to me and read text messages while driving. I am really not happy with the loss of this function!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I had to uninstall updates to Assist and Google in order to rectify the issue for now so the following are my current versions:
Assist = V 2.1.12
Google Search = V 3.4.16.1149292arm
Touchless Control = V 4.3.14.1
What do I need to do that will enable me to have the most current versions without negatively impacting Assist?

My first gen Moto X is running these versions:

Motorola Assist v2.5.4
Google App v4.1.24.1672412.arm
Touchless Control v4.3.14.1

Looks like you need to visit the Play Store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...otorola.contextual.smartrules2&token=Il8afcbQ
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e.android.googlequicksearchbox&token=459XF3Ub
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.motorola.audiomonitor&token=ybK_NjhM

David Steketee

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Assist 2.6.1
Google App 4.1.29.1706998
Touchless Control 4.3.14.1

When driving Assist will ask me if I want to listen to the text message. It will read the message aloud. When it asks if I want to reply it always jumps to saying it can't understand me and immediately says "Let's talk later."

Any updates on getting this working again?

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Below is snippet from my chat with Motorola Tech Support a few minutes ago. Not helpful at all.

Jay Martin: Kindly power cycle your phone first. Turn it off and then turn it back on afterwards.
Robert: ok, powered off, now it's powering back on.
Jay Martin: Alright. Kindly check it now Rip.
Robert: do you want me to update the Assist app and then the Google app in the Play Store to see if I lose the functionality again?
Jay Martin: That is correct.
Robert: after updating Assist and Google apps, I've lost the functionality I described earlier.
Jay Martin: Alright. Is it working now?
Robert: I select Assist, then Driving, and the only option is Talk to Me and Play Music. I no longer have the option to respond to texts using only my voice , etc.
Jay Martin: I do understand but that feature has been gone already. Hope you do understand.
Robert: It disappears when I update the Assist and google apps. When I uninstall the updates, the feature reappears. I should be able to update to the most current version of an app without it failing to function as designed. Correct?
Robert: how can I correct the problem?
Jay Martin: That is the only way Robert.
Robert: the only way is to uninstall the most current updates to the apps?
Robert: Does that sound "right" to you? Its sounds like a flaw to me.
Jay Martin: Yes Robert.
Robert: So I paid a lot of money for a phone that I'm not able to keep current? It's not that old!
Jay Martin: Hope you do understand.
Robert: I understand that I'm the customer and I'm being told there is nothing Motorola can do to fix the problem with their product that I spent my hard earned money for. Either I purchase a new phone or I'm stuck with a flawed product? I hope you understand my frustration. Please have someone in authority call me at 702-xxx-xxxx. I'm not a wealthy person but I'm entitled to be a satisfied customer.
Jay Martin: I'll take note of that Robert.
Robert: and will you please have someone contact me regarding this issue?
Jay Martin: I'll try that and I'll take note of that Robert.
Robert: I'll go away now...have a nice day.
Jay Martin: Alright. Have I answered all your questions today?

Robert: are u kidding me? NO!
Jay Martin: Alright. Would there be anything else?
Robert: no
Jay Martin: Alright. We are always looking to improve our customer support, so you may receive a survey after this chat. We appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks for choosing Motorola!
Jay Martin: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Below is snippet from my chat with Motorola Tech Support a few minutes ago. Not helpful at all.

Jay Martin: Kindly power cycle your phone first. Turn it off and then turn it back on afterwards.
Robert: ok, powered off, now it's powering back on.
Jay Martin: Alright. Kindly check it now Rip.
Robert: do you want me to update the Assist app and then the Google app in the Play Store to see if I lose the functionality again?
Robert: after updating Assist and Google apps, I've lost the functionality I described earlier.
Jay Martin: Alright. Is it working now?
Robert: I select Assist, then Driving, and the only option is Talk to Me and Play Music. I no longer have the option to respond to texts using only my voice , etc.
Jay Martin: I do understand but that feature has been gone already. Hope you do understand.
Robert: It disappears when I update the Assist and google apps. When I uninstall the updates, the feature reappears. I should be able to update to the most current version of an app without it failing to function as designed. Correct?
Robert: how can I correct the problem?
Jay Martin: That is the only way Robert.
Robert: the only way is to uninstall the most current updates to the apps?
Robert: Does that sound "right" to you? Its sounds like a flaw to me.
Jay Martin: Yes Robert.
Robert: So I paid a lot of money for a phone that I'm not able to keep current? It's not that old!
Jay Martin: Hope you do understand.
Robert: I understand that I'm the customer and I'm being told there is nothing Motorola can do to fix the problem with their product that I spent my hard earned money for. Either I purchase a new phone or I'm stuck with a flawed product? I hope you understand my frustration. Please have someone in authority call me at 702-xxx-xxxx. I'm not a wealthy person but I'm entitled to be a satisfied customer.
Jay Martin: I'll take note of that Robert.
Robert: and will you please have someone contact me regarding this issue?
Jay Martin: I'll try that and I'll take note of that Robert.
Robert: I'll go away now...have a nice day.
Jay Martin: Alright. Have I answered all your questions today?

Robert: are u kidding me? NO!
Jay Martin: Alright. Would there be anything else?
Robert: no
Jay Martin: Alright. We are always looking to improve our customer support, so you may receive a survey after this chat. We appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks for choosing Motorola!
Jay Martin: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

Factory reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2