too late to buy a moto x first gen?

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
i'm stuck between the nexus 5 and moto x first gen since i LOVED it when i bought it when it first came out. kind of leaning towards the X because of the size and price (brand new is around 220$ on ebay), but then nexus has a more sleek look and its a newer device.

just have a couple of questions to see which phone is more similar to the iphone:

when receiving 2 or more images at once by mms, does the moto x receive the pictures as if they were sent separately like it does on the nexus? or do they get received in 1 attachment with the play button over it?

if i have a missed call on either device, can i swipe or click on the missed call notification from my lock screen to call back right away like I can on the iphone?

if i download images from google or save images from my messaging app, do they get saved in 1 photo album which is easier and simpler like the iphone does? or do they get separated in different folders?

thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
when receiving 2 or more images at once by mms, does the moto x receive the pictures as if they were sent separately like it does on the nexus? or do they get received in 1 attachment with the play button over it?

They come as individual photos.

if i have a missed call on either device, can i swipe or click on the missed call notification from my lock screen to call back right away like I can on the iphone?

You can get to missed calls from the lock screen and/or notifications, but it doesn't call until you press "call". This allows you to view the details without calling it back, but it is two gestures/presses.

if i download images from google or save images from my messaging app, do they get saved in 1 photo album which is easier and simpler like the iphone does? or do they get separated in different folders?

This depends on two things. 1. Which "gallery" app you are using (Google Photos joins them all together in the "all" category", while the stock "Gallery" app segments into folders. (Note that Google Photos will still give you folders should you want them if you select "on device"). 2. Which messenger app you are using. Some create their own folders due to permissions, especially if the app is built with microSD Cards in mind, while others shoot straight for the "downloads" folder.

i'm stuck between the nexus 5 and moto x first gen since i LOVED it when i bought it when it first came out. kind of leaning towards the X because of the size and price (brand new is around 220$ on ebay), but then nexus has a more sleek look and its a newer device.

Side notes: The X is going to have better battery life and obviously will be more compact while the Nexus has a much more accurate screen and has the benefit of getting software updates direct from Google. I personally went with the X at the time it came out and it was an absolutely fantastic device. IMO by far and away the best device released in 2013 with a footnote to wishing it had a better camera. After that I went to the 2014 X which IMO is better than either (but obviously more expensive) and now to the Nexus 6.

Tough call, depending on what features are most important. On the things that you're mentioning they're going to behave very similar as there is not a lot of software customization on the 2013 X. What customization they did, IMO makes it a superior device. Active notifications is huge, although I suppose the Nexus 5 on Lollipop probably has ambient display now.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
great response! just one more thing. when setting a wallpaper (i think it was samsung), it makes you crop inside an awkward box and when setting it, the picture zooms in quite a bit when it gets set as your wallpaper. its simple on the iphone just move and position the part of the picture you want and it gets set, no resizing or anything on its own. How is it on the moto x?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
great response! just one more thing. when setting a wallpaper (i think it was samsung), it makes you crop inside an awkward box and when setting it, the picture zooms in quite a bit when it gets set as your wallpaper. its simple on the iphone just move and position the part of the picture you want and it gets set, no resizing or anything on its own. How is it on the moto x?
If you are using either the stock or Google launcher, it will be more similar to the iOS experience than the Samsung. When you start using different launchers the way that it sets them can change.

via Nexus. AndroidCentral Moderator.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

On the iPhone, it doesn't matter what happens with wallpaper cropping. You never see your wallpaper behind all those icons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz