Ok Google Now stopped speaking responses to some requests but not all of them

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems getting "Ok Google Now" to speak answers to some questions it used to respond to with the voice? My X has stopped speaking the answers for some questions that it used to (eg. Ok Google Now, what's the weather, Ok Google Now, how is the Dow Jones doing?" ) It will take me to a weather or stock market web page so it hears my request, but doesn't verbally answer.

But it still speaks a response to Ok Google Now, what's up? (At least when it doesn't think I am asking about the annoyingly named WhatsApp app) and will tell me the time and any email or texts I have received.

I don't know if this is a problem with my phone or on Google's end. I cleared the cache to the Touchless Control but it didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tried those two specific questions that you put in your post, and my phone answered them verbally just like it should have.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm sounds like it's my phone then? I was hoping it was just a temporary problem on the Google server end but I guess not. Thanks for checking, though.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Not just you. Mine was working fine. I'd ask it anything and it would respond with voice. Now nothing. I can only get commands like "what's up" to talk back to me.

Posted via Android Central App and my Moto X

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I should have posted this before, but I got my OK, Google Now voice responses back, so this may work for you. It wasn't through clearing the cache, by the way, that didn't help.

For some reason one of the settings got changed (I have no clue how, as I didn't even know this setting was there, so I didn't accidentally do it). Here's how I got voice responses back:

Pull up the Google search page by swiping up from the bottom of the phone (not through the on-screen Google search bar) and you will see the three line menu button at the left of it. Go to Menu>Settings>Voice>Speech Output. Here, mine was set to "Hands-free only". I switched it to the other option, "On" and I now have my voice responses back for all queries. It may work for you.

pp4life66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
FOUND ISSUE AND FIX!!
I had this exact problem, Google now was no longer reading out search responses. I tried every fix I could find (changing languages, clearing cache, making sure speech output is on, media volume is on, etc...etc...) and nothing worked. FINALLY I found the problem. A few backs in efforts to fix an audio sync issue with youtube I had turned on (checked) Use NuPlayer (experimental) in Developer option>Media. I simply uncheck it and google now is responding in speech to all my searches as it did in the past. Very happy to hear her voice again (creepy). Anyways hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

alayna29

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I tried this but to no avail. My setting was not changed to hands free or headset only. All settings look good. And it cant be from conflicting settings of other apps because this is after a factory reset.

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to sound a little dense here, but in case it helps someone else (this thread shows up first in google for the issue).

Double check your volume settings. I had the notification volume on but volume for apps all the way down...

Hthomas49

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
The voice reply on mine quit working today. I was listening to music this morning thru a Bluetooth device and it was still connected. Once I disconnected from the device, the voice reply started working again.

akhil poloju

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems getting "Ok Google Now" to speak answers to some questions it used to respond to with the voice? My X has stopped speaking the answers for some questions that it used to (eg. Ok Google Now, what's the weather, Ok Google Now, how is the Dow Jones doing?" ) It will take me to a weather or stock market web page so it hears my request, but doesn't verbally answer.

But it still speaks a response to Ok Google Now, what's up? (At least when it doesn't think I am asking about the annoyingly named WhatsApp app) and will tell me the time and any email or texts I have received.

I don't know if this is a problem with my phone or on Google's end. I cleared the cache to the Touchless Control but it didn't help.

Me too the same problem came .Ok google is not speaking when i ask whether reports and who is the president of india .
and for remaining all commend it worked fine please help me to resolve this issue.

Note : i tried to clear cache and data, and i didn't use developer option and my phone is new i didnt changed my settings.

Kindly help me to resove it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackj88

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to sound a little dense here, but in case it helps someone else (this thread shows up first in google for the issue).

Double check your volume settings. I had the notification volume on but volume for apps all the way down...
I followed your advice and my notifications volume was fine BUT my setting for music, video, games, and other media was all the way down. I moved the slider to halfway and now my google is talking to me again. Hope this helps someone else.

Jim OShea

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site

This worked for me. turn up the volume button on the side of the phone (samsung s8). press on the little v at the top right hand corner and turn on media. this may have been inadvertently turned off. jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781