08-16-2015 08:30 PM
298 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Mine is pretty bad on KitKat as well. How much did yours improve?
    That's the nature of OS's. A certain % have no problems, a certain % have average experiences, and a certain % have all the problems in the world. Believe it or not, not all hardware is created equal. Your phone may pass Quality Control before being shipped off, but on a micro scale not all errors can be discovered after manufacturing. To be honest, I'm surprised hardware works as well as it does, considering the slightest error can render a phone useless.

I have much experience in fixing computers, and had my own business. I will swear to the day I die that More times than not, hardware is to blame, not the OS. 1's and 0's can be controlled much more easily than metal. And add to the fact that there are millions of different hardware combinations out there that are expected to work perfectly. Not gonna happen any time soon.

Yes, there are OS bugs, but don't discount hardware malfunctions also. That's why people have different experiences, along with apps installed, how it's handled (or mis-handled). Peace out.
    cindylike24 likes this.
    04-06-2015 11:00 PM
    ..how Moto X was a breakthrough phone for Motorola and yet there are more updates for the moto e and g.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2015 02:21 AM
    Reasons I'm getting an s6
    04-07-2015 11:36 AM
    ..how Moto X was a breakthrough phone for Motorola and yet there are more updates for the moto e and g.

Eventually, we'll get our updates. Just got to be patient. I have our patience will be rewarded here pretty soon.
    04-07-2015 12:50 PM
    Still love my moto x updates or not!!! Love the active display, driving mode etc......and for me I still get a full day out of my battery.

No hurry for an update on my end!

Posted via Android Central App
    cindylike24, PapaGary and ScottMGS like this.
    04-08-2015 08:49 AM
    I prefer the aesthetics of kitkat over lollipop but I do agree with OP

I also think it is funny lollipop has features already baked into the moto x
    04-08-2015 06:15 PM

The first gen Moto X is at the same point where the DROID RAZR M, RAZR HD, and RAZR HD MAXX were a year ago. There are phones ahead of the Moto X in the queue now.
    04-10-2015 04:27 PM

Probably because of the X's features. The G and E are standard fare and easier to update.
    cindylike24 likes this.
    04-10-2015 08:07 PM
    Probably because of the X's features. The G and E are standard fare and easier to update.
    True that.
    04-10-2015 09:37 PM
    04-15-2015 05:52 AM
    Updates is where Apple is far ahead of us.
    All IOS devices get their updates at the same time- so why can't Android?
    04-17-2015 01:50 AM
    Heterogeneous hardware.
    PapaGary likes this.
    04-17-2015 02:14 AM
    Because Apple isn't only developing the software, they develop(ed) the hardware it runs on. When you control both the OS and the hardware it makes updates MUCH easier. People like to throw around the word "fragmentation" but in this case it's the answer to your question. My Moto X has a different hardware build from the Galaxy S4 (same "generation" of device), that means the OS has to be built to support different hardware. GOOGLE isn't going to do that development (AND TESTING), they need to leave that up to the OEMs.
    cindylike24, sharkita and ajkam like this.
    04-17-2015 08:25 AM
    Not sure I can accept that.
    Yes understand there are thousands of android phones.
    But why can't Verizon (as an example) test all their phones and then release their update?

I am guessing the OS is released to the hardware manufacture, they then mess with it and then release their version to Verizon, who in turns messes with it.

Sure on my budget I could only test one ph at a time, but motorola and Verizon have a far deeper budget.

Apple has what 11 or so devices they all get the update at once. Motorola has about 9 that are supposed to get Lollipop. So why can't moto test all 9 phones at once?
    04-17-2015 03:46 PM
    But why can't Verizon (as an example) test all their phones and then release their update?

I am guessing the OS is released to the hardware manufacture, they then mess with it and then release their version to Verizon, who in turns messes with it.

Sure on my budget I could only test one ph at a time, but motorola and Verizon have a far deeper budget.

Apple has what 11 or so devices they all get the update at once. Motorola has about 9 that are supposed to get Lollipop. So why can't moto test all 9 phones at once?
    Because resources might be testing something else.
    04-17-2015 04:49 PM

Because those 9 phones have 9 completely different hardware builds. They can't do one OS build and test it on all 9 phones, Android just doesn't work that way. Each phone has to have its own OS build.

Your process is correct. Google releases the AOSP code, the manufacturers get it and add the 'drivers' for the phone hardware and whatever added functionality they choose to build in then test extensively. Once they feel they have a stable build, they submit to carriers for testing, once they approve it (and contribute their apps to bake in) the soak tests start for each carrier as they bless it. If all goes well with the soak tests, everyone starts getting the OTA notification using some some arbitrary method to decide who gets it when (so the network isn't choked with update downloads).

By the way, Apple goes through a similar process but it's kept VERY close to the vest and done 99% internally at Apple, only announcing that a new version is coming once it's been approved and is ready for release.

This is HTC but all manufacturers go through the same steps. http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=EYUv_cpt
    04-17-2015 10:32 PM
    Thanks for the HTC link - explains lots.
    04-17-2015 10:41 PM
    The reason it's taking so long for the Moto X 2013 and the 2013 Droids is the chipset. It's an odd one to say the least, and it's giving Motorola and Verizon a few issues here and there.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx
    04-21-2015 09:54 AM
    The reason it's taking so long for the Moto X 2013 and the 2013 Droids is the chipset. It's an odd one to say the least, and it's giving Motorola and Verizon a few issues here and there.
    What happened to the old (working) code?
    04-21-2015 12:32 PM
    Seems like just about every day another Android device gets Lollipop. Today, its the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. At this point, I think my Blackberry Curve 8330 has a better chance of getting it before my Moto X.

Being patient was waiting till March, being super patient was waiting till April....10 days from May and I'm beginning not to care.
    seanubis and Trudy Dsouza like this.
    04-21-2015 01:59 PM
    Seems like just about every day another Android device gets Lollipop. Today, its the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. At this point, I think my Blackberry Curve 8330 has a better chance of getting it before my Moto X.

Being patient was waiting till March, being super patient was waiting till April....10 days from May and I'm beginning not to care.
    Those devices are getting 5.0.1 Motorola already announced that they are skipping straight to 5.1 for the '13 X. Which, I am led to believe is much less buggy than than the 5.0.x versions.
    We shall see.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-21-2015 02:19 PM
    5.1 is rolling out to Brazil, not a soak test either.
    04-21-2015 07:56 PM
    Moto X(1st gen) has begun getting the OTA update in Brazil.

04-22-2015 10:53 PM
    5.1 is rolling out to Brazil, not a soak test either.
    And just a fewer miles North I'll be happy.
    04-23-2015 01:57 AM
    04-23-2015 10:43 AM
298 ... 23456 ...