Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

lambrosio

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: when are we gonna get lolipop friends(Moto x 2013)

Im tired of waiting too....maybe ill move for the moto x 2014 ..

Posted via the Android Central App

Deepak khurana

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

We even have it in Moto E now, its too unsatisfactory , they are not even clarifying any ETA for that ...

Posted via the Android Central App

yscty

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Why do we even need Lollipop, what's wrong with what we've got???

I'm happy with my KitKat, phone works like it is supposed to.....

Posted via Android Central App

shinerburke

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

The main reason I want LP is for Android Auto. I'm about the replace the head unit in a truck we use for pulling a travel trailer and want to put one of the units in that supports AA and the minimum OS version a phone needs to work with AA is 5.0

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Seriously? Do we need a reason to want the latest update from Google? Stay with KitKat if you're happy with it. That'll be fine for a lot of MotoX users. For me...I bought the Developer Edition wanting the latest and greatest...and i'm not getting it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm fine if they leave us on KK, though one of the selling points of the phone was that it should get quick updates since it's pretty much stock Android.

What I REALLY want are the enhancements they made to the Moto apps for the 2014 X and the Turbo, specifically the changes to Active Display. I KNOW there can't be a hardware reason they won't let us choose which notification we want to open when we have multiples, why can't we get that update?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got a feeling that the next news we will hear is that moto can't develop a satisfactory version of lollipop for the '13 X. They won't leave us completely high and dry, though. They'll offer some kind of voucher or rebate towards the 2014 X. I have zero facts to back me up, just a hunch. In the past moto has offered vouchers when not that old phones were not updated. And the new X is not selling well at all (I base this on the repeated promotions offered), so the cost for them is very low.
Just seems like they should've had this out already. They are behind every other phone from the same time frame, when they should have been ahead. Clearly the issues with the chip set are too difficult to overcome.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: The next announcement on Lollipop

It won't be that they can't develop it - you can cram LolliFlop into a phone built for ICS. It's that they won't update phones of a certain level past a certain age. (Every manufacturer has its own tier structure and age per level.) They make more money selling you a phone at 50% off than they do by sending you a free update.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm holding out hope that Moto is going to go straight to 5.1 for the Moto X 2013 and that it will address all of the issues that surfaced in 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.0.2.

Jonathan Piferrer

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

i'm getting a little tired of waiting... guess will wait until April, but if lollipop is not released i will sell my moto x 2013 and buy Lg g3 or iphone 6.

George West

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I agree that Motorola would like to hold good on their promise to update the Flagship phone that put them back on the map. I am unfortunately through Sprint (best reception for where I live). In the past it seems to me that Sprint & Motorola have had a bad relationship, thus no 2014 Moto X available here. Motorola made, in my eyes, the best mobile phone I've ever used on the Sprint network in the last 16 years. Yes, 16 years on one network and I am sorry that you finally get a great device that does everything you want. Should I go with another network that drops you often & costs more? I hope Sprint gets their stuff together, I don't want to leave, especially now that I've added 3 more lines.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It won't be that they can't develop it - you can cram LolliFlop into a phone built for ICS. It's that they won't update phones of a certain level past a certain age. (Every manufacturer has its own tier structure and age per level.) They make more money selling you a phone at 50% off than they do by sending you a free update.

No, that's not the issue with this phone. They've already said they plan to update it, but that they are having complications due to its unique chipset. I think at some point they will give up and decide it makes more sense to offer a discount on the poorly selling 2014 X of which they have plenty of stock.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I agree that Motorola would like to hold good on their promise to update the Flagship phone that put them back on the map. I am unfortunately through Sprint (best reception for where I live). In the past it seems to me that Sprint & Motorola have had a bad relationship, thus no 2014 Moto X available here. Motorola made, in my eyes, the best mobile phone I've ever used on the Sprint network in the last 16 years. Yes, 16 years on one network and I am sorry that you finally get a great device that does everything you want. Should I go with another network that drops you often & costs more? I hope Sprint gets their stuff together, I don't want to leave, especially now that I've added 3 more lines.

Maybe do some research into a MVNO that operates on the Sprint Network like Republic Wireless? I don't know much about them nor am I recommending them, but have read some good reviews on them and they do offer Moto X, both Gen 1 and 2. I'm on VZW currently, but might consider a switch.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

No, that's not the issue with this phone. They've already said they plan to update it, but that they are having complications due to its unique chipset. I think at some point they will give up and decide it makes more sense to offer a discount on the poorly selling 2014 X of which they have plenty of stock.

The problem with this prediction is that you assume there will be a large number of people who will be "demanding reparations" for what they see as a broken promise. And out of those users with this sense of entitlement, how many would be willing to buy further into a company they feel has slighted them?

I consider myself an Android enthusiast and feel safe in saying I get more out of and put more time into my phone than the average user. I wouldn't be heartbroken if L never made it since I'm happy with how KK is running right now. I wonder if the average X user will notice or be upset if L never happened.

There's always a chance we'll see more promotions for the X '14 but I doubt they'll be pitched as "Sorry about L on the '13, have a cheap '14 on us."

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm quite surprised lollipop made it to a US note 3 faster than the 2013 x.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The problem with this prediction is that you assume there will be a large number of people who will be "demanding reparations" for what they see as a broken promise. And out of those users with this sense of entitlement, how many would be willing to buy further into a company they feel has slighted them?

I consider myself an Android enthusiast and feel safe in saying I get more out of and put more time into my phone than the average user. I wouldn't be heartbroken if L never made it since I'm happy with how KK is running right now. I wonder if the average X user will notice or be upset if L never happened.

There's always a chance we'll see more promotions for the X '14 but I doubt they'll be pitched as "Sorry about L on the '13, have a cheap '14 on us."

I'm basing it on past actions of Motorola where they did the same thing when recently issued phones were not updated. And on the fact that they are running promotion after promotion (currently throwing in a $200 paired of headphones, for example) so it's not like it would really cost them much if anything to sell the 2014 to 2013 owners for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs