Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop News

Are you guys getting this lock screen notification when you are at home? I am not sure I like the Lollipop implementation of Moto Assist...

View attachment 183003

That's stock Lollipop's Ambient Display. If you turn that off (Settings - > Device - > Display - >Ambient Display) then go to Settings - > Device - >Moto and select "Display" in that screen, you can set up to use Moto Active Display. That will remove the constant notification on your lockscreen

Posted via the Android Central App

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Often after large android updates, wiping the phone and reinstalling your apps is the best option. Rogue apps from kit kat running on android are deadly for battery life.

Thank you for the advice. I reset the phone and re-installed everything. I no longer have the "Mobile Standby" issue draining the battery. But a new problem has cropped up: Since the factory reset, Mobile Data doesn't work. Everything else works fine though. I've tried rebooting, reinserting the SIM card, resetting the APNs.... No dice.

Just one issue after another. It's times like these that I feel like going back to my flip phone.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

It's a software issue with the voice recorder app. If you record video, the audio is fine - so this verifies it is not a hardware issue. The voice recorder app may be utilizing the incorrect microphone on the Moto X..

Hmm but I've also made various calls to people and they all say I sound far away from the phone(just like how the recording sounds) when I'm handling the phone like a normal phone call

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

You can have the unlocked edition on AT&T.
Yes, this device is an XT1053 that my wife gave me when I gave her my OPO. It got the Lollipop update whereas my XT1058 did not, so I'm using it while I wait so I can test the software. It's a sign of my enthusiasm that I'm willing to use my wife's old phone as it's got a purple back with her name engraved in it. lol

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

That's stock Lollipop's Ambient Display. If you turn that off (Settings - > Device - > Display - >Ambient Display) then go to Settings - > Device - >Moto and select "Display" in that screen, you can set up to use Moto Active Display. That will remove the constant notification on your lockscreen

I checked and I did have Ambient Display off and Moto Display on already. I wonder what's going on?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting on Verizon. I swear, they are the slowest carrier at getting updates out.

Not necessarily true.

AT&T, Sprint, and US Cellular have not rolled out Lollipop updates for the first gen Moto X either.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily true.

AT&T, Sprint, and US Cellular have not rolled out Lollipop updates for the first gen Moto X either.

I agree with you on this one but I think that people are getting restless because we've been waiting so long for this Lollipop update.

I think I've been pretty patient so far but I'm getting anxious to get this update on my phone. I'm hoping that we get it before the 4th of July weekend personally. Got a three day weekend for the holiday and that would give me more time to play around with it before going back to work.

Cindy

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on this one but I think that people are getting restless because we've been waiting so long for this Lollipop update.

I think I've been pretty patient so far but I'm getting anxious to get this update on my phone. I'm hoping that we get it before the 4th of July weekend personally. Got a three day weekend for the holiday and that would give me more time to play around with it before going back to work.

Cindy

I've out it in perspective in the DROID TURBO thread.

When the Moto X first came out, it was Motorola's focus. Now we have first and second generations of the Moto X, G, and E and all the regional and carrier variants of each phone.

The first gen Moto X is not the top priority it once was. As an example specific to Verizon, the Moto E for Verizon's prepaid service has received an update from 5.0 to 5.1.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've out it in perspective in the DROID TURBO thread.

When the Moto X first came out, it was Motorola's focus. Now we have first and second generations of the Moto X, G, and E and all the regional and carrier variants of each phone.

The first gen Moto X is not the top priority it once was. As an example specific to Verizon, the Moto E for Verizon's prepaid service has received an update from 5.0 to 5.1.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

My boss and his wife both have the Droid Turbo and they haven't received the Lollipop update which shocks me because that was the big flagship phone a few months ago through Verizon Wireless when she upgraded their phones. At least there's some hope that we'll eventually be getting this.

I told my boss that when it does roll out to his phone, it would definitely be worth it for him and his wife to go ahead and take the upgrade. From what I've seen when I was running CM12.1, I believe that there are some things in Lollipop that I really think both of them will definitely like.

Here's hoping that this rolls out soon.

Cindy

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting on Verizon. I swear, they are the slowest carrier at getting updates out.
Not necessarily true.

Definitely not true.
When this phone came out, they pushed the updates as quickly as they liked.
Verizon had not changed from before that point and it hasn't "changed back".

Moto, under Google, made the original Moto X a serious priority and it's older phones a somewhat priority.
KitKat was easier to build, so the environment was ripe for a company that was determined to push.
This Moto is not so focused on updates now and Lollipop is resistant and buggy enough that OEMs are in no rush to push.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not true.
When this phone came out, they pushed the updates as quickly as they liked.
Verizon had not changed from before that point and it hasn't "changed back".

Moto, under Google, made the original Moto X a serious priority and it's older phones a somewhat priority.
KitKat was easier to build, so the environment was ripe for a company that was determined to push.
This Moto is not so focused on updates now and Lollipop is resistant and buggy enough that OEMs are in no rush to push.

To me, getting the prepaid Moto E for Verizon from 5.0 to 5.1 makes it seem like Motorola is still focused on updates. Lollipop is just a bigger jump vs Jelly Bean to KitKat and KitKat to KitKat.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
To me, getting the prepaid Moto E for Verizon from 5.0 to 5.1 makes it seem like Motorola is still focused on updates. Lollipop is just a bigger jump vs Jelly Bean to KitKat and KitKat to KitKat.

Yes, that's kind of my point. Motorola is still focused on updates, but only for whatever is the phone of the moment.
They're proving that they can still indeed push updates on Verizon however quickly they like.

Back when the 2013 Moto X came out, a lot of folks who felt burned by slow updates of Moto phones that were more than a few months old said "No way, they will not update this phone later"
Moto claimed that they had changed and that updating all phones was going to be a priority for them going forward.
That all seemed a reality under Google, but all those who said that Lenovo would not keep this as a priority were right.

If updates were a big priority to me, there's no way I would be considering Moto for my next phone.
Is Droid Mini even going to get Lollipop?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that's kind of my point. Motorola is still focused on updates, but only for whatever is the phone of the moment.
They're proving that they can still indeed push updates on Verizon however quickly they like.

Back when the 2013 Moto X came out, a lot of folks who felt burned by slow updates of Moto phones that were more than a few months old said "No way, they will not update this phone later"
Moto claimed that they had changed and that updating all phones was going to be a priority for them going forward.
That all seemed a reality under Google, but all those who said that Lenovo would not keep this as a priority were right.

If updates were a big priority to me, there's no way I would be considering Moto for my next phone.
Is Droid Mini even going to get Lollipop?

..but the 2013 Moto X was the phone of that moment....

All generations of Moto X, G, and E are getting Lollipop if they haven't already. The DROID MINI, ULTRA, MAXX, and TURBO are still going to get it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz