Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

chenalex

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Is Lollipop coming to Verizon? In my settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it says that a system update is available and I should click it to update, but when I do, nothing happens.

chenalex

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There was an update about a month ago for 911 stuff. Lot's of folks had problems with the update persistently showing up. A reboot sometimes fixes that. Eventually the prompt goes away.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Do I need to have the SIM card in the phone to receive the Lollipop update? I have the AT&T model and it's not my current daily driver.

Thanks for any comments.

-Rich

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to have the SIM card in the phone to receive the Lollipop update? I have the AT&T model and it's not my current daily driver.

Thanks for any comments.

-Rich

I've found it to be hit or miss.

My Verizon DROID BIONIC has received updates without active service. My prepaid Verizon Moto G has received updates without active service. But I've seen posts here (I think it was a Sprint Moto X) about inactive devices not getting an update.

cozbyrt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Nope that's the version currently installed.

Hm still says there's an update available and to click on it to update it, but when I click on it, it says my software is up to date. Probably just a false alarm or something then.

Mine does the same thing. Weird.

Posted via the Android Central App

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Got updates to Motorola Update Services and Motorola Boot Services today. Hopefully that's a sign that it's coming soon. I have Verizon by the way.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/LbTwronL8Gc

Here is an update on the Android 5.1 Lollipop upgrades for Moto X (1st Gen)
*- We are ready to enter Verizon labs next week to start their approval process
*- We entered AT&T labs last week, waiting for their approval
*- We are still in soak testing in India, we are investigating a potential issue and want to make sure we understand it fully before moving forward. Should have more details in a couple days.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

jmcp4372

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I've found it to be hit or miss.

My Verizon DROID BIONIC has received updates without active service. My prepaid Verizon Moto G has received updates without active service. But I've seen posts here (I think it was a Sprint Moto X) about inactive devices not getting an update.

Easy to believe, 'cause their active phones don't get it either :)

mpcook

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T update is installing right now on my Moto X 2013. Wish me luck! It took from 10.45p to 8.45a to download with two restarts.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone on Verizon get the update yet?

If the report from Moto on where they are testing is correct,
And
If Verizon works as fast as AT&T did, we should see a soak next week or the week after

Those are big Ifs. A week ago, they said they were already testing in AT&T and were ready to go into Verizon to test. Being ready to go into Verizon and having already been welcomed in are two different things.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
If the report from Moto on where they are testing is correct,
And
If Verizon works as fast as AT&T did, we should see a soak next week or the week after

Those are big Ifs. A week ago, they said they were already testing in AT&T and were ready to go into Verizon to test. Being ready to go into Verizon and having already been welcomed in are two different things.

Thank you for the reply. I feel like we've been told there will be a soak test soon for months now. I'm sure it's not as easy as we would like it to be and I certainly don't want the update if there are issues. I guess I wish they didn't give any feedback about where they are in the process because there are too many variables that can hold it up.

I'll be on a cruise soon for 9 days so I won't have any service during that time. Maybe i'll be surprised when I come back.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I know we will get Lollipop, probably not M though. But, my Moto X which I got just after launch, still works flawlessly. I've always kept it in a case & a screen protector, so it still looks almost new. Unless the next generation of the Moto X knocks it out of the park, I will be keeping my Moto X until the next Nexus comes out. If the next Nexus is not desirable to me, I guess my trusty Moto X will continue riding in my pocket for a while longer. This is the first phone I've ever owned that makes me like it on a daily basis even after almost 2 years.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been paying close attention, but I"m not really super excited by Lollipop. It seems it has a bit of WindowMe vibe about it. I hope I'm wrong, but even the new icons seem dumb.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I know we will get Lollipop, probably not M though. But, my Moto X which I got just after launch, still works flawlessly. I've always kept it in a case & a screen protector, so it still looks almost new. Unless the next generation of the Moto X knocks it out of the park, I will be keeping my Moto X until the next Nexus comes out. If the next Nexus is not desirable to me, I guess my trusty Moto X will continue riding in my pocket for a while longer. This is the first phone I've ever owned that makes me like it on a daily basis even after almost 2 years.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Same here, though my VZW Motomaker X1 isn't as old, it's still working tremendously well and I can still squeeze more than a day's use out of a battery charge (with moderate use). I also have a Developer Edition that I had rooted and now have put back into a state ready for an OTA update. I'll see how 5.1 works on the stock version first, but if it goes well I can still seeing myself using this device at year's end, unless the X3 turns out to be a compelling replacement. If Lollipop isn't so great, then I'll see about a ROM for the DE model.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49