Moto X (1st gen): Slow data speeds on Cricket?

katenok

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing slow data speeds. I know Cricket throttles down to 8mbps, but I'm lucky to get 2. This is something that I've experienced before but only during work hours, generally in the afternoon. Now it seems to be slow all the time, with daytime speeds nearly unusable. I did scratch up my SIM card while using a SIM cutter to cut my micro SIM to a nano SIM. It got stuck in the cutter and I had to yank it out. It still works, so I figured the scratches on the side didn't hurt it any. But, could it have affected the data speeds? I get the same slow speeds with the SIM back in the Nexus 5.

Thanks in advance,
Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not averse to rooting if that's the only way. But I'm wondering whether unlocking the phone would do anything?
It would allow you to use a non-AT&T SIM in the phone - that's all locking is about.

The other option would be to sell my Moto X and buy a developer edition.
Be careful. Even if the phone can do tethering, if you don't have a tethering account you're violating the contract's terms of service, so they can terminate the contract and charge you an early termination fee.

The other thing is I'm experiencing slow data speeds. I know Cricket throttles down to 8mbps, but I'm lucky to get 2.
The internet runs at about 2mbps these days. Your data from Cricket's gateway may be going at 9mbps, but that's burst speed. You get a packet at 8mbps, wait a while, get another packet at 8mbps, etc. Cricket can't control how fast they're getting the data from the server you're connecting to. If it's a little Windows 2000 computer on a phone line in the jungle, you're lucky to get 49kbps id you're the only one connected to it. OTOH, if you connect to speedtest.net, get a server pretty close (ping time less than 20ms), and the speed is still slow, there's probably a problem.

That's why you buy speed "up to xmbps". The provider, cable or cellphone, has no control of the internet, only of how fast they send the packets down "the last mile" to you. If they're receiving them at a 100kbps thruput, that's as fast as they can pass them on to you.

This is something that I've experienced before but only during work hours, generally in the afternoon. Now it seems to be slow all the time, with daytime speeds nearly unusable.
The internet keeps getting slower. (Try it on Christmas morning.) Then the lines are upgraded to handle more data. Then the lines fill up with more spam and get slower. Then ... etc. If unsolicited commercial spam email (UCE) could be charged back to the sender at, say, $1 per message, the internet would quadruple (at least) its speed overnight. But when it costs more for a glass of water than it costs to send out 2 million emails selling some product, it's going to keep getting worse. (You're used to almost being able to chat real-time via email. We used to wait at least 24 hours from the time we sent an email until it was delivered, so those of us who remember the early days just start a large download, then go watch TV.)

I did scratch up my SIM card while using a SIM cutter to cut my micro SIM to a nano SIM. It got stuck in the cutter and I had to yank it out. It still works, so I figured the scratches on the side didn't hurt it any. But, could it have affected the data speeds?
Nope. A SIM card either works or it doesn't.

I get the same slow speeds with the SIM back in the Nexus 5.
You'll get the same slow speeds on any phone connected to AT&T where you are. Come to where I am and you'll get 14mbps on a speed test. (But still about 2mbps maximum speed on a real file download.)

Maybe I'll write a guide on internet speeds. It's like water. If the water company supplies water to your house through a 1/4" pipe, and you connect a 4 foot pipe from there to your house, the water will rush down that 4 foot diameter pipe as fast as possible. But you're still getting a trickle, because the flow upstream is so slow. You could get bursts of 4 feet of water, 1/8" thick, every 20 seconds, so you're getting a 4 foot flow, but the total amount of time to fill up a swimming pool won't change. It's the same thing with th internet. You're getting bursts of 8mbps data, but the time it takes to "fill up" a 100MB file is the speed it takes at the 2mbps speed that Cricket is receiving the data (the thruput of the system).

katenok

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that the internet in general is not moving a 2g speeds, which is what Cricket subjected me to this afternoon. I understand what you're saying, but I just don't see it being the case here. If it's not my Sim, then it has to be a problem with Cricket service where I'm located.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that the internet in general is not moving a 2g speeds, which is what Cricket subjected me to this afternoon. I understand what you're saying, but I just don't see it being the case here. If it's not my Sim, then it has to be a problem with Cricket service where I'm located.

Get used to it. MVNO's are notoriously slow. I have Black Wireless which uses ATT towers, and am lucky to get 2G speeds during late afternoon/early evening. But in the morning and late night it's pretty fast. There's a price to pay for getting a "deal" on wireless. ATT's (higher paying) customers get first priority on the network plain and simple. If you don't like it, you can get ATT's service, pay more, and get faster speeds.

I'm usually around wireless, so I really don't care too much. I only pay $30 a month for unlimited calls/texts and 500mb data. On a heavy month I might use 200mb data.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have cricket. I just upgraded to a nexus 6 but had the xt1053de. It depends on the area. I was able to stream two tables watching Netflix via a hot spot while driving on interstate 95 and at Miami international airport.

At work, I usually get LTE then on some days it drops down to 4g or less and then things get sluggish.

It all depends on your network status and traffic. I bet cricket gets bumped while 1st tier AT&T customers get better bandwidth.

Posted via the Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My guess is your area just has a bunch of ATT users. We have some local Ingress players on Cricket and other MVNO's that constantly complain over data speeds. Cricket's prices are impossible to beat. If I could buy just data from them I would (Verizon user)

Posted via Android Central App

katenok

May 22, 2010
Visit site
AT&T giving their own customers priority does make a lot of sense. Since they own Cricket, I would have expected them to give Cricket priority over other MVNOs. Though who knows, maybe they do in some small way. For the price I pay, I can't complain too much. I use a fair amount of data and I don't know any other provider that would give me 5gb for $45/month.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
AT&T giving their own customers priority does make a lot of sense. Since they own Cricket, I would have expected them to give Cricket priority over other MVNOs. Though who knows, maybe they do in some small way. For the price I pay, I can't complain too much. I use a fair amount of data and I don't know any other provider that would give me 5gb for $45/month.

I agree

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
While new to cricket, my reasoning was that AT&T would prioritize their data.
Capped at 1MB/sec, to me, is not a problem. It seems I get that consistently at a minimum.
While I don't utilize it to the fullest, 5 lines with unlimited everything for $100/month is a no-brainer currently.
If there are better deals I don't know of them.
Bottom line: 1- bandwidth is a commodity 2- AT&T owns the pipes.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had Sprint for 17 years and had the unlimited data family plan. It was choosing us $245 a month for five lines. We never got LTE and most of the time it was 2g and some 3g. 4g was an urban legend.

We have faster speed, tethering and paying half as much is a no brainer. It's only a matter of time before more mvno copy cricket and re place the premium networks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance