Is the Moto X (2013) worth buying now?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a Moto G (2014) for approximately a month now. Here is a thread describing my issues with the phone:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...323-suggestions-decent-phone.html#post4345500

Considering that the Moto X (2013) is only slightly more expensive than the Moto G (2014), would you suggest going for it? Why or why not?
It's definitely a step up from the Moto G, which my mother has. It has better processors, more RAM, and has a bunch of features the G does not have. (although slightly smaller screen) I bought my X a month ago and love it. It's fast enough and does everything I need a phone to do, plus more. The hands free driving features are awesome.

I saw a one day sale on ebay for a 32gb Dev Edition for $199 last week which was awesome. Something like that may pop up again.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a Moto G (2014) for approximately a month now. Here is a thread describing my issues with the phone:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...323-suggestions-decent-phone.html#post4345500

Considering that the Moto X (2013) is only slightly more expensive than the Moto G (2014), would you suggest going for it? Why or why not?

Now this is from my own experience but I've found that the Moto X (2013) is a very solid phone even now. I bought the Developer Edition of it when it was on sale on Amazon back in January and February this year and haven't regretted buying it at all. Phone is snappy fast and very reliable. Get better signal reception with this phone than I did with my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S3). If you get a Moto X, try to go for the 32GB model. That gives you plenty of room to put all of your apps, pictures and any music that you may have on your phone. I've got an extensive music collection (over 1,000 songs), an extensive wallpaper collection (over 400 pictures that I created on my computer [at least 99% of them]), pictures of my nephews and niece, plus all of my apps and I still have a little over 10GB free space on my phone. The camera on it is very nice too. I use it when I want to get pictures of my nephews and niece at a moments notice and they all turned out very nice. But then again, I did have good subjects too.

Hope that this helps you out.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had my x for a couple months now. Best android phone I've owned. Coming from the galaxy s4 it was a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned. I think it's still a great phone to buy today.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Feature-wise, I'd pick the first gen Moto X over a second gen Moto G.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Feature-wise, I'd pick the first gen Moto X over a second gen Moto G.

I've watched numerous vids about the 2nd gen X, and I'm not sure what you mean. If I could afford it, I would get the 2nd gen in a heartbeat, but mainly for the bigger screen. Could you elaborate?

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've watched numerous vids about the 2nd gen X, and I'm not sure what you mean. If I could afford it, I would get the 2nd gen in a heartbeat, but mainly for the bigger screen. Could you elaborate?

I think he was talking about the 2nd generation of the Moto G versus the 1st generation of the Moto X. From what I've seen about the Moto G (Gen 2), it still doesn't stack up as well as the Moto X (Gen 1) in my opinion. I don't think that the Moto G has the active display that the Moto X has does it? I also don't think you can get as much memory for the Moto G as you can for the Moto X. I know this because at one time I was seriously thinking about getting the Moto G. Changed my mind after doing some research on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely worth it to get the 2013 X. It outperforms the 2014 G by quite a bit, and the added features are very useful. Active Display is worth it on its own. If you can find the 32GB Developer Edition for a good price ($200-$220 or so), jump on it. I got mine on sale on Ebay late last year and I'm loving it.

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Correct. The one thing the 2014 G has that the X doesn't is the micro SD card slot, but a 32GB model makes up for a lot of that.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I think he was talking about the 2nd generation of the Moto G versus the 1st generation of the Moto X. From what I've seen about the Moto G (Gen 2), it still doesn't stack up as well as the Moto X (Gen 1) in my opinion. I don't think that the Moto G has the active display that the Moto X has does it? I also don't think you can get as much memory for the Moto G as you can for the Moto X. I know this because at one time I was seriously thinking about getting the Moto G. Changed my mind after doing some research on it.

I'm well aware since I've owned both. Thanks anyway. Reading is good.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely worth it to get the 2013 X. It outperforms the 2014 G by quite a bit, and the added features are very useful. Active Display is worth it on its own. If you can find the 32GB Developer Edition for a good price ($200-$220 or so), jump on it. I got mine on sale on Ebay late last year and I'm loving it.

I got mine in February and I'm loving this phone.

Correct. The one thing the 2014 G has that the X doesn't is the micro SD card slot, but a 32GB model makes up for a lot of that.

That's true but you know I'm not missing the SD card slot at all. This is the first phone I've had that didn't have a SD card and removable battery. Battery life is great on this phone compared to the phones I've had in the past.

Cindy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model using Tapatalk

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm well aware since I've owned both. Thanks anyway. Reading is good.

What carrier are you with? I'm with Verizon Wireless (for now) and the Moto G is only available on the Verizon Prepaid service. Not available on their postpaid accounts for some reason. Go figure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not talking about the second gen Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Please go through the thread link in my first post. Do you face any of the listed issues on your Moto X (2013)?

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Please go through the thread link in my first post. Do you face any of the listed issues on your Moto X (2013)?
I did just go through the thread with your issues with Moto G. I haven't had any of the issues that you outlined in that thread at all. Right now, the Moto X 2013 version is still on KitKat but is on track to be updated to Android 5.1.

Hope that this helps you out.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I've heard all the good things about Moto X. Any negatives? I'm not a camera person so apart from that, any issues with the battery or display or anything?

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've seen a couple of vids but I don't know whether I should take them with a pinch of salt because there are vids claiming that the S4 is better than the Moto X and there aren't any lags on the former, but just one Google search will tell you the truth...

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
My friend has 1st gen G and my aunt has the 2nd G. I have checked them both out and compared to my xt1056 and my former xt1053de. The X is better just in the features it offers, let alone it's is still better hardware wise.

MasterRyu2011

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I've heard all the good things about Moto X. Any negatives? I'm not a camera person so apart from that, any issues with the battery or display or anything?

I feel the biggest negative is that camera. It's very decent with enough light. However, if it's night time, forget about it. But since you're not a camera person, then that wouldn't matter to you.

It's a beautiful phone and whenever I take off my case, I get comments about it all the time about how good looking it is (the wood back does help). My favorite part of the design is how small the bezels are and consequently the reduced physical dimensions. It has a the screen of an iPhone 6 while being much smaller.

Now, I know this nitpicking, but what bothers me from time to time is the slightly yellow tint of the screen. Whites are more "creamy" than other phones'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers