So what's up with Motorola and Verizon

carlMode

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Seem to me like having a Motorola on verizon has more advantages that At&t. They have the Turbo and they're receiving update before the At&t customers. Anyone know why? I feel like they'll probably get the lollipop update first as well... Yes I'm impatient ha

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. AT&T is about the slowest updating carrier. They also seem to be the one that has the fewest bugs in their updates. Maybe there's a connection there?

2. You don't base your choice of carrier on their phone availability, you choose the carrier, then choose among the phones that work on their network. The best phone in the world in a spot your carrier doesn't cover has very little to offer that a rock doesn't. Service counts too. I'd much rather hear, "I'm so sorry, I'm going to have to give you a replacement phone", than "We can't fix this here - it has to be sent out. That can take from 2 to 6 weeks."

(And personally, when CDMA goes digital it makes me queasy - if it has to be a digital signal [I grew up digging voice out of the noise on analog signals] I'd prefer the autotuning of GSM.)

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Motorola and Verizon have had a pretty solid relationship for years. The Original Droid, which really helped jumpstart Android's popularity, was a Verizon exclusive, and many of Moto's best phones (before the X, G and E) were VZW only.

I've had VZW for years so I can't comment on ATTs slow rollout of updates, but I know VZW has been criticised heavily for taking their sweet time pushing out updates. Just look at what happened with the VZW Galaxy Nexus a few years ago. That phone got updates way after the ATT/T-Mobile models. But I suspect mostly what you are recognizing is the relationship between Moto and VZW. VZW has the Turbo because they wanted an exclusive "Droid" branded device.