Can you disable OTA software update screen?

NoBreak

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a rooted Moto X(1st Gen), but I'm a novice to the realm of root and dealing with system level apps/processes. I'm also afraid of bricking this bad boy so I don't play around too much-- because I can quickly be over my head. That being said, I've downloaded Titanium Back-up, because I'm looking to disable the very annoying "Install New Software Screen" with the later "Later/Now" options. I do not want to install lollipop. Can someone suggest away for me to STOP this ANNOYING page from FREQUENTLY popping up? Please be as specific as possible.

I would really appreciate your help on this!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Moto, so this is general, not specific, but look (in Titanium) for an app that looks like Update or Updater and freeze it. (That should also disable the software update in About Device - nothing should happen if you tap it, because tapping it runs the app you froze.) I don't even remember what it's called in Samsung, because the ROM I'm currently running had it removed, but it had Update somewhere in the name, and Motorola would probably name it something similar.

KimRoatan

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
How about:

Setup>Apps>Motorola Update Services>Force Stop

Would that work?

It does not work. This is absolutely going to prevent me from getting another Moto. The only thing. But is is so annoying that I want to throw my phone at the wall each of the several times daily it pops up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! For the vast majority of current Android phones, I don't think you can turn off OTA system updates. I understand that people aren't always happy with changes that come with major system updates, but not keeping a phone updated (when updates are available) means that you're also not keeping its security up to date.

For glitches that may occur after a system update, try wiping the cache partition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool