Moto X (1st gen): XT1053 GSM Unlocked (T-Mobile) 5.1 Lollipop Update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/Qci9XjXBe9L

Hey guys, quick update here for Moto X (1st Gen). We have started full soak testing again in the U.S. on the 5.1 Lollipop upgrade for our retail channels. If the data looks good, we'll move to full deployment in about a week.

In addition, we also initiated a full soak test for Brazil retail and Rogers in Canada yesterday for Moto X (1st Gen).

Please ensure that you have accepted any updates from the Play Store for Motorola Update Services (to version 4 or higher). You will need this to get the upgrade notification.

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

I just got mine this morning!!!!!

It installed fine without any issues. All main apps seem to be working. So far so good overall; will have to wait and see how it holds up with some use.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I just got mine this morning!!!!!

It installed fine without any issues. All main apps seem to be working. So far so good overall; will have to wait and see how it holds up with some use.
What model of the Moto X do you have? I'm supposed to be getting my Moto X (XT1060) Developer Edition back today and was curious if it was for that phone.

Cindy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I just have the T-Mobile version I bought from Motorola.com directly. It's not the developer edition; was really surprised to get it this morning!

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

I just have the T-Mobile version I bought from Motorola.com directly. It's not the developer edition; was really surprised to get it this morning!

What version of Lollipop did you get? 5.1? Curious to hear if you had to do a factory reset or cache wipe after or before, and how phone is behaving.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I just checked, it is indeed 5.1!!
I initially was hesitant to install it fearing that I'd have to do a full factory reset, but so far so good. Performs just fine. Doesn't look like I'll have to do a factory reset after all.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Same for me, I have a Moto X purchased directly from Motorola and I'm on T-Mobile. I got the notification that 5.1 was available to download. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't sure I would ever get this as the Moto X (2013) isn't an "official" T-Mobile phone.

carlMode

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

So you got the update for T-Mobile? No word on at&t yet??

Posted via the Android Central App

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Never mind. Found it. LOL
I am in US. I can't find a Motorola Update Services app on phone or play store. I have 1st gen Verizon Moto X DE XT1060.

Edit: I found it under my apps > all . Silly me. I thought I would find it if I used search or if I looked in installed apps. Weird. Still getting used to this Android thing.

I am not able to find it in any of those places, including apps ->all

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I ended up doing a Google search for it, which landed in a Play Store link and I installed it from there.

jaykresge

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

FYI, if you got the update, it's because you're in the soak test. In order to be in the soak test, you agreed to a non disclosure agreement (NDA) to not discuss the update. You should probably withhold further comments, and perhaps edit your prior posts.

I have prior experience with Motorola's MFN (Feedback Network). People who post outside of the private forums about details of pre-release software tend to, at a minimum, be removed from MFN. The whole point of MFN is for users like us to test the new software to ensure that it gets pushed out to the masses quickly, but when appropriate.

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site

Very strange. On 6/11 System Update said 5.1 was ready to download. Then it noted I didn't have enough room. I cleaned up enough, but when I went back, I couldn't find the update any more. Said my software was up to date. Tried side load link and nothing there. What's happening?

Last edited:

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

My wife's phone on T-mobile got 5.1 this morning. It's an unbranded developer edition. I can guarantee she is not in the soak test. My 16yo is going crazy his isn't updating. Any idea how to force the update? We tried changing the date ahead by a day and checking, but no go after a month.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

My wife's phone on T-mobile got 5.1 this morning. It's an unbranded developer edition. I can guarantee she is not in the soak test. My 16yo is going crazy his isn't updating. Any idea how to force the update? We tried changing the date ahead by a day and checking, but no go after a month.
That's hilarious. Why didn't we all just change the date in our phones like 7 months ago!

Galaxy S6

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

FYI, if you got the update, it's because you're in the soak test. In order to be in the soak test, you agreed to a non disclosure agreement (NDA) to not discuss the update. You should probably withhold further comments, and perhaps edit your prior posts.

I have prior experience with Motorola's MFN (Feedback Network). People who post outside of the private forums about details of pre-release software tend to, at a minimum, be removed from MFN. The whole point of MFN is for users like us to test the new software to ensure that it gets pushed out to the masses quickly, but when appropriate.
You're implying anyone has ever been 'punished' with anything more than being removed from the mfn. BS.

I'm sure I've been in the mfn as long or longer than you have. Every detail leaks within hours, every time, every update, for years.

Stop trying to sound official and if it bothers you so much email Motorola.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm using my Moto X as a WiFi device only, I bought it directly from Motorola for T-Mobile. Will my phone get the update even if it is no longer connected to a carrier?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

..... Every detail leaks within hours, every time, every update, for years.

Of course, you are correct.
The larger question, in my mind: What is your word worth?
consider:
-That this is a trivial matter is not my point.
-Don't believe this is fine print in any agreement.
To me this is a symptom.
While corps routinely ply contracts for any and all possible advantage; a simple handshake or NDA among people should be golden.
That it is not reflects a moral decay.
Should we need a judge to enforce a persons word?
While this appears to be preaching temperance in a bar,
one must realize this site is wholly built for android information and official leaks serve that purpose.
IMO that is a different topic.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm using my Moto X as a WiFi device only, I bought it directly from Motorola for T-Mobile. Will my phone get the update even if it is no longer connected to a carrier?
My second XT1053 has updated from 4.2 to 4.3 then and 4.4 without ever having a SIM in it. Just keep Wifi turned on.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Of course, you are correct.
The larger question, in my mind: What is your word worth?
consider:
-That this is a trivial matter is not my point.
-Don't believe this is fine print in any agreement.
To me this is a symptom.
While corps routinely ply contracts for any and all possible advantage; a simple handshake or NDA among people should be golden.
That it is not reflects a moral decay.
Should we need a judge to enforce a persons word?
While this appears to be preaching temperance in a bar,
one must realize this site is wholly built for android information and official leaks serve that purpose.
IMO that is a different topic.

I will only link about a soak if Motorola or Motorola employees discuss it on social media - which they have been doing even more of.