Moto X (1st gen) 5.1 Lollipop: Does the wave-to-wake sensor work the same in Lollipop?

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Question for people who've updated to Lollipop - does the proximity sensor still work the same? Specifically - with KK I can wave my hand over the sensor and the active display screen wakes up, shows time & any notifications. Does this work the same after 5.1 update?

I've seen some reports that the update "fixes" a "bug" that allowed this behavior, which happens to be one of my favorite things about this device. If the wave-to-wake goes away, I might not want to get the update. I've also read where one can use Tasker to kinda-sorta restore the behavior, but I'd rather it didn't go away in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lollipop and wave-to-wake display

Short answer to the post title...no.

But if my hand is close enough to wave over the sensor just to the left of the speaker, it's plenty close enough to bump or jiggle the device.

Shrug...NBD to me that it'll be gone.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

In my experience with 5.1 the active display works better. I had been having trouble getting the display to show time/notifications when bumping my desk with my hand while it was in it's stand. Now the smallest nudge makes it pop on. Any change in orientation also turns it on.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I thought it was a matter of choosing either the Moto option or the Lollipop option. Is the Moto option still available and what is lost by using it? My understanding is that the Moto notifications are less battery intensive since it doesn't light up the whole screen.

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site

It might be that simple, but I've read elsewhere the behavior of the proximity sensor is now different. One post said the KK behavior - where I can wave my hand near the sensor and wake the display - is actually a bug that got "fixed" in Lollipop. Don't know if that's true.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, pretty sure that was a feature, not a bug, since it was on Jelly Bean when I first got my Moto X.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Mine does not respond to wave to activate display anymore with Lollipop. Was there a setting in KK to turn this on? I have Moto Display checked and under the new Moto app -> Actions, the only option there is Twist for Quick Capture (launching the camera). Is there some other place that you have to toggle the wave action?

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Sad to say I don't think it's a settings issue / solution. Did see a post on G+ where author said Tasker could be used to kinda-sorta bring it back. Here's that post: [link]

Path_Prick_Jeer

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the wave-to-wake sensor work the same in Lollipop?

Yeah, pretty sure that was a feature, not a bug, since it was on Jelly Bean when I first got my Moto X.

Sadly, it was a bug. Or an unintended feature if you will. The intended feature was to wake the device in certain situations, like pulling out of the pocket. Now this is "fixed" and it doesn't work anymore on Lollipop.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does the wave-to-wake sensor work the same in Lollipop?

Yeah, the Wave-to-Wake feature doesn't work on mine either since the update.... Add another thing to the list that I've lost.

So since the update, I've lost:

Wave-to-Wake functionality
No ability to easily toggle Mobile Data on without going into the menu setting.
No mobile data AT ALL on my phone since update.
A much more finicky voice-activation.
Longer boot-up time.
No vibration when Power Saver mode turns on (which caused my alarm to not go off one morning).
Can't turn cell radios off with Tasker.

What have I gained?

Pretty colors.

Last edited:

rackflot

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine does not respond to wave to activate display anymore with Lollipop. Was there a setting in KK to turn this on? I have Moto Display checked and under the new Moto app -> Actions, the only option there is Twist for Quick Capture (launching the camera). Is there some other place that you have to toggle the wave action?

Yep, mine doesn't work either. This was a great feature. Update is ?

bart1967

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have called Motorola support and was informed wave to wake in Moto X 1st Gen is NOT AVAILBLE in Lollipop 5.1.

I wonder if it might be a power saving issue; the 2013 X doesn't have the infrared sensors that the 2014 does, so the 2013 was presumably keeping the camera energized all the time to enable wave to wake. My battery life does seem better on 5.1. But I do miss wave to wake.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shivam Sharma10

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't works on mine Moto X on 5.1 update! Please help me to get it back .

Wave to wake up screen is one of the best and lovely features of Moto X. Please Help!:':)'(

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
This accidental feature may be why my X wakes up in my pocket sometimes. If that goes away I'll be happy since it causes ****-dials, photos of my pocket, or goes into clock settings and unchecks everything.

I'll miss the wave feature a little but, no biggie for me since I've conditioned myself to give the phone a tap or nudge.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
This accidental feature may be why my X wakes up in my pocket sometimes. If that goes away I'll be happy since it causes ****-dials, photos of my pocket, or goes into clock settings and unchecks everything.

I'll miss the wave feature a little but, no biggie for me since I've conditioned myself to give the phone a tap or nudge.
Sorry, sure hope I didn't offend anyone with "****-dials".

Vincent Martin1

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and it's really annoying. I was used to lightly" High five" my phone on the table to check time. Now i have to grab and shake it...
No solution at all???

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I thought my phone wasn't doing the wave thing anymore. I miss that. I don't miss the random exclamation point in my signal bars. Even if I have 3 bars, my phone will not make or recieve calls or data if the ! is there. I have to reboot my phone to work again.

intell1125

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
In my experience with Lollipop on the first-gen Moto X, the wave your hand to show minimalist notifications no longer works. HOWEVER, it's more of a jiggle to wake. So if your phone is flat on the table, you can just tap the left or right edge of the phone to make it jiggle a little bit (on its curved back) and it'll flash on just like the prior wave feature that was on KitKat.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae