Moto X (2013) - Major problems after Lollipop update, can I please get some help?

A

AC Question

Moto X (2013) - Major Problems After Lollipop Update

I received an android update notification on my Moto X last week for lollipop (I think version 5.1) and I have had problems ever since.

At first it seemed work fine after the update installed but then I noticed that I could not send texts via handcent (receive texts only). Also the stock email app would only display a blank white screen. I then got an error with some apps saying it could not load because Google Play Services (GPS) was not up to date. I tried to download GPS and it stopped downloading when it reached 57%. I tried to clear GPS cache and then I tried to uninstall GPS in order to reinstall it. Then a handcent text pop-up came in and I could not "x-out" the pop-up. That's when things really started to get buggy.

Now when the phone is booted the initial Moto X animated screen is visible but then it goes into a black screen and the login screen never appears. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will occasionally display the time or a notification (voice message icon, etc) but swiping down does not unlock the phone. It just does a short vibrate and then goes black. Also the battery gets hot when it is left on (while the screen is black). Plugging the phone into the computer is not recognized as an external drive (probably because it doesn't boot properly). I tried booting in fastboot mode, recovery, then to wipe the partition cache (twice already) and it still does not properly boot.

My first priority is to be able to access the internal memory to recover data that has not been backup up yet. Is it possible to do this before trying a factory reset? Is there a way to access the internal storage in fastboot mode or some other way?

If the only option is a factory reset is there a way I try to recover data after a reset (data recovery tools, etc)? I don't mind doing a factory reset...just want to be able to access the data.

Any help would be appreciated!

dj Blue Note

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X (2013) - Major Problems After Lollipop Update

I have the Moto X 2013 and after the Lollipop upgrade I have a problem similar to yours. I am able to use the internet via my home wi-fi, emails, message,etc.One I leave the wi-fi signal I get the explanation point at the end of my bar signal and no access to the internet via my cellular signal.
I have tried everything...cleared cache, wiped the phone clean with a re-boot, I was on the phone with T-Mobile tech support, even went to my local T-Mobile and had them insert a new sim card and nothing helped. Finally I contacted Motorola and via 'Chat' with a rep I explained my situation, to make a long story short...in the end, they wanted a $24.99 premium fee and $100.00 for the repair, Heck, right now the Moto X 2014 is available for $300 16 GB and $350 for the 32 GB. I have to think about this... however the problem still exists on my current phone, never have found a remedy yet.

Last edited:

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I have the Moto X 2013 and after the Lollipop upgrade I have a problem similar to yours. I am able to use the internet via my home wi-fi, emails, message,etc.One I leave the wi-fi signal I get the explanation point at the end of my bar signal and no access to the internet via my cellular signal.
I have tried everything...cleared cache, wiped the phone clean with a re-boot, I was on the phone with T-Mobile tech support, even went to my local T-Mobile and had them insert a new sim card and nothing helped. Finally I contacted Motorola and via 'Chat' with a rep I explained my situation, to make a long story short...in the end they are sending me a replacement phone exactly as I had ordered from Moto Maker over a year ago, however the problem still exists on my current phone, never have found a remedy yet.

I had a problem like this with Mobile Data, which i just fixed this afternoon with the help of Tech Support from Motorola. I also have T-Mobile service and the guy I spoke to said that he's seen a few cases like this since the Lollipop update, all on T-Mobile phones. Maybe his solution for me will work for you as well:

Go to Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.

Click on the one that says, "T-Mobile US 260 LTE". Don't select it. Click on the left side of it so you can Edit it.

Scroll through the settings. Make sure the following things are set correctly:

MCC - 310
MNC - 260
APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri,fota (no spaces)
APN protocol - IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol - IPv4/IPv6

Click on the three dots in the upper right corner and Save.

If T-Mobile US 260 LTE isn't the selected choice, select it now. Then, reboot the phone and test your mobile data connection with WiFi turned off.

dj Blue Note

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Hey b_slow1...

I spent time at three T-Mobile stores to perhaps finding someone experienced to deal with this problem and found no one, I called Motorola twice and tried to talk them out of charging me the $25 premium fee and $100.00 repair fee because this was not my fault, but because of the Lollipop upgrade, but they did not budge. Now, I took your advice and Bam ! your suggestion was successful. I can't say thank you enough...! So Thank You so much. You saved me from having to buy a new phone.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Hey b_slow1...

I spent time at three T-Mobile stores to perhaps finding someone experienced to deal with this problem and found no one, I called Motorola twice and tried to talk them out of charging me the $25 premium fee and $100.00 repair fee because this was not my fault, but because of the Lollipop upgrade, but they did not budge. Now, I took your advice and Bam ! your suggestion was successful. I can't say thank you enough...! So Thank You so much. You saved me from having to buy a new phone.

I'm glad it worked for you. It was driving me nuts as well, and I didn't want to have to pay for a refurbished/replacement phone from Motorola either. I've only had my 2013 Moto X for 7 months, so I had no desire to get rid of it already.

I'm still not a fan of Android 5.1 because I've lost a lot of functionality, and didn't gain anything in return. I'm considering rooting the phone to go back to 4.4.4, but at least the mobile data is working again.

Heatherbot

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Holy Crap! I have been beating my brain for the past 3 days trying to figure out WTF was wrong with my phone. I think this worked, so THANK YOU KINDLY!!

J Re

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank You man.. YOU DA MAN for posting this.. spent all day yesterday on this issue. Came to the resolution I was gonna have to get another phone. I think I still will but at least now I don't have a dumb phone.. AWESOME AWESOME!!!

J Re

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
so essentially.. it's that the servers don't recognize ipv6.. they are using ipv4.. bc that's the only thing I changed..

Nishanth0202

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

I received an android update notification on my Moto X last week for lollipop (I think version 5.1) and I have had problems ever since.

At first it seemed work fine after the update installed but then I noticed that I could not send texts via handcent (receive texts only). Also the stock email app would only display a blank white screen. I then got an error with some apps saying it could not load because Google Play Services (GPS) was not up to date. I tried to download GPS and it stopped downloading when it reached 57%. I tried to clear GPS cache and then I tried to uninstall GPS in order to reinstall it. Then a handcent text pop-up came in and I could not "x-out" the pop-up. That's when things really started to get buggy.

Now when the phone is booted the initial Moto X animated screen is visible but then it goes into a black screen and the login screen never appears. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will occasionally display the time or a notification (voice message icon, etc) but swiping down does not unlock the phone. It just does a short vibrate and then goes black. Also the battery gets hot when it is left on (while the screen is black). Plugging the phone into the computer is not recognized as an external drive (probably because it doesn't boot properly). I tried booting in fastboot mode, recovery, then to wipe the partition cache (twice already) and it still does not properly boot.

My first priority is to be able to access the internal memory to recover data that has not been backup up yet. Is it possible to do this before trying a factory reset? Is there a way to access the internal storage in fastboot mode or some other way?

If the only option is a factory reset is there a way I try to recover data after a reset (data recovery tools, etc)? I don't mind doing a factory reset...just want to be able to access the data.

Any help would be appreciated!

Similar type of problem after the lollipop update, The active display works well, music plays when headphone is connected through jack and the camera opens on twist gesture but the unlock screen never appears.
Is there a way to recover media storage in this state?

Last edited:

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Yep, I had to do this making sure it was set for ipv4 and 6. Now I'm having issues with the WiFi connection or to be more exact, lack of connection. Routers that previously worked in KK. Now it's saved or connection failure. Did factory reset twice already. Any ideas welcome.

Posted via the Android Central App

technician199

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

This started happening this weekend to my wife's phone. I'm having her contact Motorola and hopefully enough other people do too. We need to pressure them to fix their mistake. Very frustrating.

technician199

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife didn't want to call. She bought an Alcatel Idol 3 and is loving it. She won't look back now. Me on the other hand, I'm going to see if I can fix it. Just haven't had the time yet. I'll let know. And please let me know what Moto customer service says, seems like they should do something about it.

Brian Teasdale1

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
My phone did the same thing. I think this is all to do with the lollipop update. I can't believe Motorola is extorting $125 for repair. I feel a class-action lawsuit coming on.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Glad I checked back to see how people were faring with Lollipop. Sorry for your problems but thanks for posting. Guess I'll just keep force stopping the Motorola Update Services app whenever I reboot rather than risk messing up what for me is a perfectly good phone running the last KitKat version. Very frustrating whenever an "update" makes things worse. (I have the non-branded "T Mobile" phone on Cricket, aka AT&T).

Posted via Android Central App