At&t Moto X (2013) Lollipop Update

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Per David Schuster @ Motorola, the update is still with AT&T awaiting final approval. Then a soak test can begin - if you are a member of the MFN you could be invited to participate in the soak test. I got to help with the Kitkat soak tests, pretty cool experience which was a lot like beta testing Windows back in the day just over a shorter period time.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Per David Schuster @ Motorola, the update is still with AT&T awaiting final approval. Then a soak test can begin - if you are a member of the MFN you could be invited to participate in the soak test. I got to help with the Kitkat soak tests, pretty cool experience which was a lot like beta testing Windows back in the day just over a shorter period time.

Or now in the day. I'm running Windows 10 as my daily driver at home, and it's been fine so far. There's bugs, but no more or less than when I was on my Nexus phone.

mpcook

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I was prompted to update last night around 11p ET and when checking at 4a and 7a it showed it was stuck at 23%. I called AT&T support and was told that I should have 4.4.4 and that was the latest for my device, I am not downloading an update e.g., 5.1 (!?) After saying "then there must be a virus downloading onto my phone, eh?" the reply was, no I am sure it's not a virus, but I can't say what it might be. I told her it was big (701MB) and she said that would be too big for a system update. I was instructed to reboot, which I did, and now 5.1 is continuing to download (up to 78%) normally, so we'll see what it really is I suppose shortly. I guess AT&T is not aware that they are updating my phone. She confirmed all she said based on my IMEI - 4.4.4 is what you should have, no update is available.

MoPhoMan

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I was prompted to update last night around 11p ET and when checking at 4a and 7a it showed it was stuck at 23%. I called AT&T support and was told that I should have 4.4.4 and that was the latest for my device, I am not downloading an update e.g., 5.1 (!?) After saying "then there must be a virus downloading onto my phone, eh?" the reply was, no I am sure it's not a virus, but I can't say what it might be. I told her it was big (701MB) and she said that would be too big for a system update. I was instructed to reboot, which I did, and now 5.1 is continuing to download (up to 78%) normally, so we'll see what it really is I suppose shortly. I guess AT&T is not aware that they are updating my phone. She confirmed all she said based on my IMEI - 4.4.4 is what you should have, no update is available.

Per David Schuster on G+ at 11pm eastern last night the AT&T soak test was rolling out last night. Anyone could pull it down.

carlMode

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Everything so far has worked well. At the beginning it was really choppy and had to restart once but once Google recognized my account everything has gone smoothly. Alot more convenient than KitKat

Posted via the Android Central App

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
After update phone feels smoother.
I'm amazed that there are all sorts of small updates and features sprinkeld throughout that make it a much better experience. Just a few examples:
Stock messaging app now allows sharing contact cards.
Home page setting for chrome (years overdo...)
Built in flashlight toggle.
There are some new annoying things also. Now sheets, docs and slides are baked in to os. Can only disable, not delete.
Still have 2 seperate icons for Google (in addition to the Google search bar at the top of every page)
Still have 5 widget panes, even if you have just a few widgets.
Still can't figure out why migrate and connect aren't part of moto app.
But overall, very happy.
Waiting to see if my battery sees improvement.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Has your launcher turned "material design?" My wife's AT&T Moto X got the update last night and the launcher looks pure KitKat: Translucent search bar, dark app drawer, old style navigation keys...

At first I thought she had Nova installed like on her '14 X, no, nope. Bone stock.

Ideas?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Still can't figure out why migrate and connect aren't part of moto app.

I would also be confused. I would have figured we'd get the new Moto app setup from the 2014 X and the Turbo.

Does ActiveDisplay look exactly the same or can you choose from 3 notifications to unlock to (vs. the 1 as it was before)? This was the one thing I REALLY wanted from this update, and I'm really not sure why it couldn't have been brought in through an update in the Play Store.

Redx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I like the update, especially the new drop down notifications bar. But somehow it deleted about 30 of my work contacts that of course weren't backed up in gmail.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: At&t Moto X (2013) Lollipop Update

I would also be confused. I would have figured we'd get the new Moto app setup from the 2014 X and the Turbo.

Does ActiveDisplay look exactly the same or can you choose from 3 notifications to unlock to (vs. the 1 as it was before)? This was the one thing I REALLY wanted from this update, and I'm really not sure why it couldn't have been brought in through an update in the Play Store.
I've seen 3, rather than just 1. I can't take a picture now, since I don't have any new notifications now.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

wsmather

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Many who own the Moto X 2013 have even now not yet received the update to Lollipop. Now that Lollipop is nearly passe, and all are looking forward to to the promise of Android M, it would be a fitting gesture to provide M for the Moto X 2013.
When they finally offer an update to us Moto 2013 users, Motorola will have presumably spent a great deal of time re-structuring the os to fit the Moto's x8's specialized architecture. How much more difficult can it be for them to take it a step further and make it happen for M, skipping Lolli altogether? Doing so would go a long way toward appeasing disgruntled Moto 2013 customers, and keeping them as customers in the future.

How about it, Lenovo? Want to create some great PR? Maybe quiet the increasing skepticism of those who bought into the original Moto X? Convince all that Google's selling to Lenovo wasn't a bad idea after all?

jpk1700

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I've not been quite as fortunate enough as others. I installed it Wednesday evening and first thing I noticed was continuous haptic feedback on my call app (the mute, speaker and hold buttons) make the whole phone vibrate continuously until I pull down the notification tray.
I thought it was because I installed it over KitKat so I did a reset. The problem got worse and now everyone I touch my capacitive (i.e triangle, circle and square) buttons I have to pull down the notification tray to stop the continuous vibration of the whole phone. After waiting this long for the update............ #lollipoptravails

bart1967

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Has your launcher turned "material design?" My wife's AT&T Moto X got the update last night and the launcher looks pure KitKat: Translucent search bar, dark app drawer, old style navigation keys...

At first I thought she had Nova installed like on her '14 X, no, nope. Bone stock.

Ideas?

Just download Google Now Launcher from Play and you'll have the new app tray, along with bigger icons.

melis1013

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I just got the Lollipop upgrade this week. I lost the "trusted" setting for when my phone is connected to the car Bluetooth, so now my phone doesn't stay unlocked in the car. Anyone else having this issue or do I need to change a setting? So far, it's my biggest issue since the upgrade.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Many who own the Moto X 2013 have even now not yet received the update to Lollipop. Now that Lollipop is nearly passe, and all are looking forward to to the promise of Android M, it would be a fitting gesture to provide M for the Moto X 2013.
When they finally offer an update to us Moto 2013 users, Motorola will have presumably spent a great deal of time re-structuring the os to fit the Moto's x8's specialized architecture. How much more difficult can it be for them to take it a step further and make it happen for M, skipping Lolli altogether? Doing so would go a long way toward appeasing disgruntled Moto 2013 customers, and keeping them as customers in the future.

How about it, Lenovo? Want to create some great PR? Maybe quiet the increasing skepticism of those who bought into the original Moto X? Convince all that Google's selling to Lenovo wasn't a bad idea after all?

If M follows the path of Lollipop, it'll be November before it's named and released to the public. By then the 2013 Moto X will be over 2 years old and people will have been expecting an OS update for over a year (if Moto stops the 5.1 push and wait for M). I don't see this happening, especially since the 2013 X owners will need to wait for the 2015 and 2014 X owners to get it first - imagine the uproar if a 2 year old phone gets an update before someone's 1 month old phone from the same company! On top of ALL that, with many 2013 Moto X early adopters being at 2 years with their phones, many will be replacing them as they're due for an upgrade anyway.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Lollipop upgrade this week. I lost the "trusted" setting for when my phone is connected to the car Bluetooth, so now my phone doesn't stay unlocked in the car. Anyone else having this issue or do I need to change a setting? So far, it's my biggest issue since the upgrade.
You have to retrain it in the settings/security/smart Lock/trusted devices as 5.1 incorporated this functionality for all it's devices (vs just Moto X). Lenovorola acquised their functionality to use the 5.1 functionality, thus the need to retrain your trusted BT.

melis1013

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
You have to retrain it in the settings/security/smart Lock/trusted devices as 5.1 incorporated this functionality for all it's devices (vs just Moto X). Lenovorola acquised their functionality to use the 5.1 functionality, thus the need to retrain your trusted BT.

Got it. I missed that setting or didn't know that's the one I needed. I appreciate the help!

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! Something that I've noticed with the Lollipop update versus KitKat. On some of my notifications in Lollipop, the app notification on my status bar shows up as a plain white box. This didn't happen on my phone when it was running KitKat. I've only had Lollipop for only one day so there may be something that I'm missing but is there any way that I can change that in Lollipop so I can tell which app is sending me a notification without tapping the top of the phone to get a list of notifications so I can tell which ones I can safely ignore and which ones to pay attention to? This happens with a lot of the news apps, my prescription tracking app, and especially my NASCAR app. It's more of an inconvenience to me (no big deal) but if there's something that I can do to fix this, I want to be able to do it.

Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, I'm loving the Lollipop update!

Cindy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz