Really disappointed with Motorola and Verizon

RocketmanN7

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or is it really disappointing that a once top of the line Motorola phone on Verizon that is less than two years old has not yet been updated to Lollipop, an OS that has been out for almost a year. I really like my 2013 Moto X, but I am questioning how secure it is still running on KitKat. Since I am due to upgrade this fall, I am not at all sure I will get another Motorola phone due to the lack of support from Motorola and Verizon. If this phone can't be updated in a timely fashion, what's to stop this from happening to other Motorola phones? Am I alone in this? Has everyone else already traded up? I know that the phone runs great on KitKat, but this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone else share my opinion on this? What can we do?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not much you can do as far as getting them to update faster. Moto has been quite slow on updating to LP on most of their phones. My Moto G and my dad's Moto X are still on 4.4.4, and of course custom ROMs aren't much of an option because of Verizon's locking down.

RocketmanN7

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Motorola and Verizon for the most part. They are usually quick with the top line phones under two years old. I just hate to seem them slide. It seems this phone is causing particular issues. I hope this is not going to happen with all of Motorola's Moto X phones in the future.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn about this. On the one hand it's absurd that the phone hasn't been updated. On the other hand, the '13 X on Kit Kat is the most stable smartphone I've ever had - Android or iOS, and lollipop has been nothing but trouble for many users.
At thus point I feel that they should offer us some type of credit to the Moto store which we can apply towards an upgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade? The days of contracts and discounted phones ends tomorrow for VZW. No more subsided phones. Buy what you want at full retail. I would buy a new "old" MX if it was cheap just for the new battery. Everything else has gotten to big. And I do not want a man purse just to carry a phone.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Verizon is the blamee on this one. Moto was ready to test there as soon as they finished up at AT&T, but they dropped a big deuce with that update, pulled it out of rollout, and then went completely silent. So you tell me who did what.

I'm ready to wait for a phone running M. Lollipop sucks. If there's no phone 5" or less worth getting that comes with M out of the box, I'm waiting for N.

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or is it really disappointing that a once top of the line Motorola phone on Verizon that is less than two years old has not yet been updated to Lollipop, an OS that has been out for almost a year. I really like my 2013 Moto X, but I am questioning how secure it is still running on KitKat. Since I am due to upgrade this fall, I am not at all sure I will get another Motorola phone due to the lack of support from Motorola and Verizon. If this phone can't be updated in a timely fashion, what's to stop this from happening to other Motorola phones? Am I alone in this? Has everyone else already traded up? I know that the phone runs great on KitKat, but this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone else share my opinion on this? What can we do?

If there's anything to be learned about the mobile industry from the past few years, it's "don't buy hardware on the promise of future software updates." Hardware advances too quickly. For every android manufacturer except Samsung, it just wouldn't be worth it to spend effort updating a handful of phones.

With regards to lollipop on the Moto X 2013, don't feel bad about it. It's garbage. The performance is terrible.

...And you should not have to wipe cache or anything else...
Yeah, I agree with this. This is thrown out as the fix for far too often.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure you can count on ANY manufacturer to push updates quickly for a 2 year-old device.

HTC left the Thunderbolt on GB for a LONG time after ICS was released.
Motorola dropped the ball in the past, seemed to get better and has now backtracked again.
Samsung has left owners of the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) out in the cold as far as LP is concerned (I'm sure there are others that are left out but that's the one I'm following as it's the one I have)
I have no opinion on LG's update history as I haven't kept tabs on it.

I think the biggest failure here was that there was a flaw in the AT&T update and Motorola seems to have sunk all their resources devoted to Moto X software into resolving that and left us on Verizon hanging. I know the last update was that the update was headed to Verizon's labs for testing, they must have put a stop on that with the AT&T update issue.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't want lollipop on my X. My G2 got lollipop and it basically made the phone useless. Laggy and the battery went from lasting a day and a half to maybe 5 hours with very little use. I went back to kit kat on that phone but it still wasn't the same. So now I am back on my trusty moto X with a broken microphone because it is still a better experience than my G2 after lollipop.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't want lollipop on my X. My G2 got lollipop and it basically made the phone useless. Laggy and the battery went from lasting a day and a half to maybe 5 hours with very little use. I went back to kit kat on that phone but it still wasn't the same. So now I am back on my trusty moto X with a broken microphone because it is still a better experience than my G2 after lollipop.
This post and others I have read make me glad that Verizon did not push an update before AT&T. It sounds like a nightmare. My DE X is running perfect with 4.4.4. Would hate to mess that up just to have the latest poorer running, glitch inducing, battery draining software. Maybe Verizon quality control did their jobs this time and didn't consider it ready for prime time.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure you can count on ANY manufacturer to push updates quickly for a 2 year-old device.

HTC left the Thunderbolt on GB for a LONG time after ICS was released.
Motorola dropped the ball in the past, seemed to get better and has now backtracked again.
Samsung has left owners of the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) out in the cold as far as LP is concerned (I'm sure there are others that are left out but that's the one I'm following as it's the one I have)
I have no opinion on LG's update history as I haven't kept tabs on it.

I think the biggest failure here was that there was a flaw in the AT&T update and Motorola seems to have sunk all their resources devoted to Moto X software into resolving that and left us on Verizon hanging. I know the last update was that the update was headed to Verizon's labs for testing, they must have put a stop on that with the AT&T update issue.
Thunderbolt was WAY better on gingerbread. All i want is security updates. Phones usually work best in original os

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance