09-30-2015 10:53 AM
176 ... 45678
tools
    Advice to you people now just getting 5.1...

1. Without a doubt do a factory reset. Lollipop restores all apps and their location on the home screen, wifi networks setup, etc
    2. Turn on dev options and change all animation speeds (theres 3 i think) from 1.0 to 0.5
    When I switched the animation speed to .5, it was slow as molasses. However, my phone the 2 days prior today has been slow as molasses.

And speaking of my phone, sometime yesterday afternoon, its started working fine. Before, it would tell me that even at 90%, in 4 hours, it be at zero. The phone was slow, apps opened after a delay, couldn't open my email (exchange), would freeze up frequently, app installs/updates would hang, txt message went out hours after I hit send, and I couldnt' get anyone's handout texts.. I got into work late yesterday, and my phone was was about 18%, so I left it charging at work. Concerned I was about to have to do a FR, and tried to connect it to my PC (installed Moto's drivers) and the thing wouldn't connect. So the main thing I was concerned about was the data from 1 game (the others Id on't care much about.) so i had to install a chat app, which logging in would save my data to the cloud. My pictures are already set to go to Google Photos, and I would screen cap all my menus and homepages and settings just in case. So the install of the chat app was the only thing I did different all day other than in the AM, reboot after a freeze and left it charged in the plug to optimize (3rd time in 2 days though).

Then after i got home, i plugged it back in again, because it was going low (down to 30% from 70% when I left work and got home, and not doing anything from work to home with it.). Had to go out to take the kids to an activity, and so in the car i played some games. Noticed the battery wasn't draining as quickly. in fact, in the 2 hours I was there, it went from 87% to 78% with 1 hour playing and the rest just uncharged on the seat. The phone was snappy, even my email popped up. Kept playing with it at home, and it went down to about 30%, and i charged it back again. took it off for about 2 hours and it didn't drain.

This morning, checked it out, and its been off the charger since 7 am, and its only at 70%. States I have 10 hrs left. far cry from the last few days where it was always 4-5 hrs at 90%.

I dont' know what happened, but i think like all tech around me, I threaten it with something and it acts right. It probably knew I was serious about wiping it, so it got off its hissy fit and started working.
    09-17-2015 09:48 AM
    Okay I just got the update and so far so good but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to disable the haptic feedback on the lockscreen. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks
    09-17-2015 11:01 AM
    Okay I just got the update and so far so good but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to disable the haptic feedback on the lockscreen. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks
    Open the Moto app. Click the Settings (gear) icon in the upper right. Choose Display. Uncheck "Vibrate on touch"
    EKhatch likes this.
    09-17-2015 11:35 AM
    When I switched the animation speed to .5, it was slow as molasses. However, my phone the 2 days prior today has been slow as molasses.

And speaking of my phone, sometime yesterday afternoon, its started working fine. Before, it would tell me that even at 90%, in 4 hours, it be at zero. The phone was slow, apps opened after a delay, couldn't open my email (exchange), would freeze up frequently, app installs/updates would hang, txt message went out hours after I hit send, and I couldnt' get anyone's handout texts.. I got into work late yesterday, and my phone was was about 18%, so I left it charging at work. Concerned I was about to have to do a FR, and tried to connect it to my PC (installed Moto's drivers) and the thing wouldn't connect. So the main thing I was concerned about was the data from 1 game (the others Id on't care much about.) so i had to install a chat app, which logging in would save my data to the cloud. My pictures are already set to go to Google Photos, and I would screen cap all my menus and homepages and settings just in case. So the install of the chat app was the only thing I did different all day other than in the AM, reboot after a freeze and left it charged in the plug to optimize (3rd time in 2 days though).

Then after i got home, i plugged it back in again, because it was going low (down to 30% from 70% when I left work and got home, and not doing anything from work to home with it.). Had to go out to take the kids to an activity, and so in the car i played some games. Noticed the battery wasn't draining as quickly. in fact, in the 2 hours I was there, it went from 87% to 78% with 1 hour playing and the rest just uncharged on the seat. The phone was snappy, even my email popped up. Kept playing with it at home, and it went down to about 30%, and i charged it back again. took it off for about 2 hours and it didn't drain.

This morning, checked it out, and its been off the charger since 7 am, and its only at 70%. States I have 10 hrs left. far cry from the last few days where it was always 4-5 hrs at 90%.

I dont' know what happened, but i think like all tech around me, I threaten it with something and it acts right. It probably knew I was serious about wiping it, so it got off its hissy fit and started working.
    I think this is the same for me. I think that what is happening is that people's Google Play Services are getting updated to 8.1.15 in the background and when that completes most, if not all, issues with the update go away.
    09-17-2015 11:42 AM
    Just reiterating what a few others have mentioned, definitely do a factory reset after updating to 5.1. Tried both ways (with/without reset) and the results are staggering. I've had my phone unplugged since 12:00 am last night and now it's just after 12:00 pm and I am at 88% battery remaining. Also, Android Pay is now working without having to download an APK and chrome now has the beautiful colors at the top of the page. Wouldn't have seen any of this hadn't I done the reset. Until a smaller form factor phone (running stock android) comes out this has breathed a lot of life into this now "classic" Android phone.
    09-17-2015 01:16 PM
    I think this is the same for me. I think that what is happening is that people's Google Play Services are getting updated to 8.1.15 in the background and when that completes most, if not all, issues with the update go away.
    but see, that is weird, because it updated the 1st day. took its dear sweet time because it kept freezing and hanging at 11.66mb, but eventually it did. Then the errors went away for a time that first day, then came back. After one reboot and charge, i had like 8 or so error notifications, from Google Hangouts, Play, etc... everything had an issue. I kept clearing the cache and nothing changed.

Its working now fine, just put it to charge and it was at 38%. so close to 7-7.5 hrs of some use. Last night I also went and unchecked a number of non-needed apps to display on teh active display. but that was after it started to work better.

eitehr way, I think i'm happy. Oh, I also (but during the day yesterday) told 74 apps to update. usually I do selective apps. this time I did them all. can't pinpoint any one solution, but something worked.
    09-17-2015 01:16 PM
    I updated with only a few hiccups initially. Reboots cured the play services update issue and all seemed well. Battery life hasn't seemed to be any worse than before. Now, though, I can't figure out how to configure the settings on the phone to get ambient display to operate like it did previously. I've tried flipping back and forth between ambient display and moto display but no joy. Anybody have any insight?
    09-17-2015 02:36 PM
    Just reiterating what a few others have mentioned, definitely do a factory reset after updating to 5.1. Tried both ways (with/without reset) and the results are staggering. I've had my phone unplugged since 12:00 am last night and now it's just after 12:00 pm and I am at 88% battery remaining. Also, Android Pay is now working without having to download an APK and chrome now has the beautiful colors at the top of the page. Wouldn't have seen any of this hadn't I done the reset. Until a smaller form factor phone (running stock android) comes out this has breathed a lot of life into this now "classic" Android phone.
    I've done an FR after upgrade but bam_dmux_wakelock still appears to eat up the battery. I wonder if I need to do a second FR to get the results you are seeing.
    09-17-2015 03:08 PM
    OK, found a couple things I don't like.....

With a BT headset connected, "OK Google Now" is routed to the headset. I've checked for all options on this and can't find where this can be turned off. I don't want to route this through the headset, I only wear it when I'm actually talking to someone but it's connected to my phone from the time I leave the house until sometime in the evening.
    Yep, I have this same issue. It's annoying and effectively kills me using Moto Voice since I'm not going to manually turn off BT or disconnect the device every time I want to say 'OK Google Now'. The other annoying side of this is if you look at the specific BT device, tap the gear icon to look at its settings, it gives you the option to un-check 'Phone audio', which is what I suspect is causing the issue, but when you do that, it simply disconnects the whole BT device. If you then manually tap the BT device to reconnect it, it automatically re-enables 'Phone audio'. So, back to square one.... ugh!

I also dislike that they 'fixed the bug' that allowed wave to wake to work.

Edit - 9/23 - For anyone else having this issue. What I found to be a solution was to check the option in Moto Voice settings for 'Audio Troubleshooting - Select if bluetooth or car audio readout is inconsistent'. I didn't think to check this before because I wasn't thinking of this issue as a bluetooth readout issue, but it worked nonetheless.
    09-17-2015 03:14 PM
    Now, though, I can't figure out how to configure the settings on the phone to get ambient display to operate like it did previously.
    What behavior are you trying to get back? The "wave to wake" functionality is gone, but other behaviors should still be present.
    09-18-2015 05:01 AM
    Just did the update - now my email (yahoo) isn't working - message "Email isn't responding. Do you want to close it? wait OK"
    Any suggestions on what to try?
    09-18-2015 06:24 AM
    Just did the update - now my email (yahoo) isn't working - message "Email isn't responding. Do you want to close it? wait OK"
    Any suggestions on what to try?
    Clear the app cache for the email app. Also find the procedure for wiping the partition cache (I saw it in another thread on this forum). That seems to clear up a lot of issues.
    09-18-2015 08:05 AM
    I've downloaded the update a bunch of times, but it always fails during the update animation. A couple minutes after my phone resets, I get a message that "there was a problem updating your Moto X". Any ideas of how to solve?
    09-18-2015 09:10 AM
    09-18-2015 09:13 AM
    I've tried to update my Moto X a few times, and every time I get an error during the update animation. After my phone resets, I get an error message saying "there was a problem updating your Moto X". Any ideas?
    09-18-2015 09:20 AM
    I am hoping to be able to "bump" my phone to see notifications. I understand that wave-to-wake is gone, and while I miss it I understand that it won't be back on Lollipop.
    09-18-2015 10:33 AM
    I am hoping to be able to "bump" my phone to see notifications. I understand that wave-to-wake is gone, and while I miss it I understand that it won't be back on Lollipop.
    Not sure; if I nudge my Moto X sitting next to me the screen illuminates. If there are waiting notifications, I see those icons otherwise I simply see the time and the padlock icon. It does seem to take a bit more of a nudge than I recall on Kit Kat; but it is waking the phone and displaying expected details.
    09-18-2015 12:26 PM
    I hope it serves you well. I bought an iPhone 6 a couple of months ago, but the darn thing drove me nuts. Seemed like many operations required far longer to accomplish on iOS. I returned it to Apple after a week of cursing. But I expect to retire my Moto X DE within the next couple of months, as well. I have my eye on the new Nexus 5.
    09-19-2015 01:44 AM
    I've tried to update my Moto X a few times, and every time I get an error during the update animation. After my phone resets, I get an error message saying "there was a problem updating your Moto X". Any ideas?
    You're phone probably does pass the pre-flash verification of the OTA file. Is your phone stock or modified?
    09-19-2015 10:06 AM
    So far I only have one weird issue ( after multiple reboots to get google services updated ) when my phone is in the red battery wise my wifi connectivity keeps dropping off. I checked the battery saver settings and I have it set to never run. As soon as I plug the phone in the WiFi connection is stable again until the battery drains to 15% again.

Good news is I'm back to 10-12 hour battery

Posted via Android Central App and my Moto X
    09-19-2015 11:30 AM
    Make sure it's enabled under "trust agents." (Security)
    09-19-2015 12:15 PM
    It's stock. I googled the error, and it looks like most other people with the problem had rooted their phones...

I tried doing a factory reset, but it didn't help.
    09-19-2015 12:59 PM
    Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but my WiFi stopped connecting since I updated. It see the available WiFi networks and tries to connect but can't. Even faster clicking to forget and re-entering the WiFi password.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-20-2015 12:35 AM
    I'm happy with Lollipop. It makes it feel almost like a new phone. I ran into a period where the battery was draining fast, but clearing the Cached Data fixed that (I occasionally had to do that on KitKat as well if the battery was draining or the phone was charging incredibly slowly).

Bluetooth in my car is working both better and worse. Before the update, the only way to use Moto Voice over the bluetooth was to set the car audio to Bluetooth; it would not work if I was listening to the radio, even though calls come in over the car audio when listening to the radio. Now Moto Voice will (sometimes) work if I'm listening to the radio or even have the car audio turned off. I say sometimes, because sometimes it does not work at all. Yesterday I got it to work once, and then it stopped working completely. I got to my destination, and on my way home, the phone was not connected to the car Bluetooth at all. But I found in the Moto App under Voice an "Audio Troubleshooting" option that says to select if Bluetooth or car audio readout is inconsistent, so I selected that and will see if it helps.
    09-20-2015 09:42 AM
    I'm happy with Lollipop. It makes it feel almost like a new phone.
    Yep, same here.
    09-20-2015 11:28 AM
176 ... 45678