There's a couple of things that I can't do anymore in 5.1 that I could in KK, and I wonder if the settings somehow got changed or are these functions gone? Any help in getting them back (or confirming it's no longer possible in Lollipop) would be appreciated.

1) Speaking commands when my screen is locked without having to enter my PIN: I used to be able to say "OK Google Now, set timer for 5 minutes" and it would do so. Now the X asks for my PIN to be spoken or entered. Since I often use this function in the kitchen and my hands are wet or covered in cooking material, it was incredibly useful to start a timer without touching the phone. Is this just a setting that somehow got changed? If so, how do I get it back? (It also makes the same PIN demand when I ask it to play music, by the way).

But for some reason it will answer questions like "Whats the weather forecast for tomorrow?" or "Whens my next appointment?" without asking for a PIN.

2) I used to be able to use the power button to bring up a list of commands like toggling on/off Airplane mode or restarting the phone. Now the button's only option is to turn the phone off. Can I get the other controls back?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    09-15-2015 05:05 PM
    2) I used to be able to use the power button to bring up a list of commands like toggling on/off Airplane mode or restarting the phone. Now the button's only option is to turn the phone off. Can I get the other controls back?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    On the home screen swipe down twice from the top. Is that what you are looking for?
    I don't have an answer for number 1.
    09-15-2015 05:14 PM
    On the home screen swipe down twice from the top. Is that what you are looking for?
    I don't have an answer for number 1.
    Ahh, thanks, I see the Airplane mode there. Sadly that adds two additional steps now to turn it on. I use Airplane mode several times a day when I ride the NYC subways as it drains the battery down there searching for a signal or wifi so it was very convenient to be able to just hit power and quickly turn it on. Now I have to hit power, unlock with my pin, swipe down and then turn turn it on. I wonder why they changed that?
    09-15-2015 05:23 PM
    There's a couple of things that I can't do anymore in 5.1 that I could in KK, and I wonder if the settings somehow got changed or are these functions gone? Any help in getting them back (or confirming it's no longer possible in Lollipop) would be appreciated.

1) Speaking commands when my screen is locked without having to enter my PIN: I used to be able to say "OK Google Now, set timer for 5 minutes" and it would do so. Now the X asks for my PIN to be spoken or entered. Since I often use this function in the kitchen and my hands are wet or covered in cooking material, it was incredibly useful to start a timer without touching the phone. Is this just a setting that somehow got changed? If so, how do I get it back? (It also makes the same PIN demand when I ask it to play music, by the way).

But for some reason it will answer questions like "Whats the weather forecast for tomorrow?" or "Whens my next appointment?" without asking for a PIN.
    Moto app > Voice > Settings > Commands while locked

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2015 05:26 PM
    Moto app > Voice > Settings > Commands while locked

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks I had seen that and already have it checked, and it still doesn't let the timer start without asking for the PIN. I wonder if that's not considered a Google command, but an internal phone command? Is there an option to make those work while the phone is locked?
    09-15-2015 05:40 PM