"Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

BPW3

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: "Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

Mine just started doing this this week. First time took more than a half hour and three restarts. Yesterday it took ten attempts before it started properly. Phone was not plugged in. I restarted the phone because it was running slowly and seemed unstable. At least it was 1 of 1 apps optimizing! I had a primo HTC1 that never had a problem and got this thing because the other could no longer be used on my network. Shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I was initially satisfied but no more. Never had the problem until that stupid upgrade.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

This definitely has nothing to do with Verizon, since my phone is on Tmobile and I also have the problem.
I wish it was because I was holding the power button in for more than 8 seconds, but I have had the phone reboot automatically in my pocket and then start optimizing apps. And it gets hot too! That's how I knew it rebooted.

Definitely ridiculous and I'll probably never buy another Moto phone again, even though I really loved this phone in the beginning. I feel like their support is lacking. Not to mention I can no longer use my wifi and bluetooth at the same time because they have not fixed that bug either. (If I have bluetooth enabled and connected to a smart device--like a watch or step tracker, then wifi will stop working. This is not a problem if you are using something simple, like headphones. I have had Android phones for a long time and really I'm just tired of having to root them and install Roms and fix my own problems. Dare I say it, I've thought about switching to an iphone. I love Android and I know I will be limited on certain things but there's so many issues I won't have to deal with.

Either that, or I'll just bite the bullet and get a Samsung. They seem to be a bit better than all of the other Android phone makers right now.

nwaves

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I used to have the same problem until I figured out it has to do with how long I keep the power button pressed. I start counting when I press the power button and never keep it pressed past 6-7 seconds. Wait 4-5 seconds see if it starts. If it doesn't, repeat the procedure but don't keep the power button pressed for more than 6-7 seconds or it will optimize your apps. This is happening because in the latest software Motorola forgot to add the vibration to signal you the phone is turning on, so you keep the button pressed waiting for something to happen and that's what's causing the optimization to start.

rjohns69

May 9, 2016
Visit site

Don't follow those steps! It will cause your device to optimize your apps because you just wiped all of the optimization information.

I've noticed that it does the optimization when the tablet is started up after the battery dies. If you keep it charged, and do normal shutdowns or just keep it running it seems to be OK, but my son often uses the tablet until it is dead, then it takes 20 minutes for it to start while it is "Optimizing" the apps (total cr@p if you ask me).

I'm going to try turning off the battery/power saving mode. Hopefully that will stop the 20 minute optimization.

Can't believe Android/Verizon would force this cr@ppy update on use. Who wants to wait 20 minutes to use your tablet? Seriously!

DemonCamber

May 9, 2016
Visit site

For what it's worth, I believe it's a bad app somewhere on my system. I'm currently having this issue, but I'm also rooted, running a custom marshmallow rom and kernel, on a moto G xt1042. I'm about to backup my system and data partitions in TWRP and try restoring them over again, that sometimes fixes things to be honest. Other than that, that's all that I can think of. It wasn't always doing this either, so it's most likely a bad app or something got corrupted. I'll report back if I figure out how to fix it.

pallai

May 13, 2016
Visit site

many times phone automatically gets restart....

Victor Dulepov

May 25, 2016
Visit site

My CAT S40 does exactly the same - self turn-off in the pocket, get heated like crazy, and then start optimizing the apps at startup for some 20 minutes or more before it becomes usable again. Definitely a 5.1 issue (the device came with 5.1 preinstalled, so the issue is NOT a result of an upgrade and NOT Moto-specific and NOT operator-specific).

jchirch

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I've noticed that every once and a while I will get the following message when restarting the phone.

"Android is Starting"
"Optimizing App x of xxx"

I know this should happen once after an upgrade, but it seems to be happening every few re-boots of the phone now.

Anyone else seeing this behavior or know of a solution?

Tom

Yes. G S5 just upgraded to marshmallow, Chrome. Behaves the same way.

bmoolya

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site

I am facing the same problem on my oneplus one. can anyone help me with a solution please

jgeebiz

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site

I'm having the same problem with my HTC. It will start up then says Android is starting optimizing 1 of 74. It will stop at 54 then shut off. What can I do. I have already taken it in to have someone look at, but they really didn't know what to do with it except plug it in and try rebooting it by pressing the down button and the start button. What else can I do? I'm going to be out of a phone for two weeks. Not fun. :(:'(

Guy Daelen

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site

i had the same problem with ulephone
i also had a problem with "error 504" on google play
i empty the data and cache for googleplay program and services google play
seems to resolve both problems

Dick Hughes

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

Many thanks to contributors to this thread. I now realise the "optimising app" msg on my Motorola Moto G (older version) was caused by restarting while charging.

Last edited:

Felix Bolivar

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site

Yes, the long press (more than 6-8 seconds) of power button will trigger the "optimization of apps" issue.

I just ran a cache wipe but it didn't solve the issue, in my case. I didn't want to Factory reset my Moto G.

Power on your phone just by pressing and hold 2 or 3 secs the power button. :)

Sandydoo

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

I have the 2013 Generation, purchased early 2014. This has been a great phone and I would like to keep it a little longer. Unfortunately I am having this same issue. "Optimizing Apps". There is no rhyme or reason...not rebooting - can be on wifi or not. The phone shuts down and starts optimizing. I have had it "optimize" twice in one day. It takes 30 minutes or more to complete the cycle. I am thinking it is Verizon/Moto's way of telling me "get a new phone". It is very annoying, since I really love this phone and other than this have no reason to upgrade at this time.

Wildbill2148

May 13, 2016
Visit site

This just happened to me and I wasn't charging. It is rebooting itself (on its own) and optimizing apps. After the optimization the phone is freezing up if I use any apps. Google Play services is also constantly crashing...useless phone...again...like every update. (it was updated a few days ago but the issue started today.)

Mine does it too

My castrast will not go all the way down and is very bright and battery level goes down fast, and reboots on its own, and auto optimizes.

Have you gotten a system update???

I've read that this will fix the problem, that its the manufacturers fault, that they do not check their devices and we must wait for a system update,

Which I've heard is next to never for manufacturers that are second rate

reg17

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

pleas help me how to fix it. When my ASUS ZOOVD android phone is updating but its crush and restarting again and again.

Storm2016

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

So yesterday my android started shutting down and optimizing app and hasn't quit. What can I do? It keeps shutting down and optimizing, shuttting down and optimizing. I can't even get into my phone nor can I shut it off. It drained my battery to nothing while because that is all it does and won't shut off or finish optimizing. :(

Any solutions?

Thanks!

Eslam Farouk

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site

I've noticed that every once and a while I will get the following message when restarting the phone.

"Android is Starting"
"Optimizing App x of xxx"

I know this should happen once after an upgrade, but it seems to be happening every few re-boots of the phone now.

Anyone else seeing this behavior or know of a solution?

Tom

I finaly DIDIT
I did it i did it i did it

First i had this msg while connected to charger or no

I tried first to make wipe cach but it was halting there and nothing happened

I did many things i will say it all but not sure preciscly which on worked

Before i updated all apps

1. I made the devwloper option available
2. I activate the usb debugging mode
3. I activated oem unlocking
4. I restarted my phone in tje fastboot option, by pressing power+vol down, then vol up
4. I tried again to wipe cach but it halted again and i had to start by long pressing power botton
5. I went again to fast boot option, i chose something called bl start ( boot loader start i guess, not 100% sure)
6. I left phone to start and all was ok

Hope it work with you, it was suh a pain in the a***

mahendren ganesan

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site

I am getting the similar issue after updating lollypop to marshmillo update... Not sure what to do...
finaly I endup not using my Samsung A5(2016)..

PermaGrinGuru

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

What was your solution to this problem> mine just did the same thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn