"Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

lakshmi pathi

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Re: "Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

Last week, when I upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop, during boot it said,
"Optimising apps, 1 of 132"
took around 20 minutes to complete. Obviously I thought that will be one-time process but it repeated randomly during boot. Its quite annoying. When it took like 30 minutes, I decided to search for solutions. Seems like well-known issue and lot of people gave such different answers like:

1 Clear cache.
2 Wipe cache partition via bootloader.
3 Don't reboot while charing.
4 Re-flash firmware
5 Don't reboot the device at all!
6 Downgrade to Kitkat.
Options 1,2,3 didn't work me. Later I realized its completely wrong solution. Not sure, whether 4 will help or not. 5th one is seriously funny solution!

Looked like 6th (going back to Kitkat) is the only option. But I have rooted device and thought about debugging the issue further. Few hours, later here is my solution. It works with Moto-E Lollipop 5.1 . If you have this issue please test and let me know. Thank you!
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../in.co.giis.optimisingappfixer&token=swdtgCSC

catatau

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Re: "Android is Starting" "Optimizing App x of xxx" With Restarts of the phone 5.1 Verizon

Last week, when I upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop, during boot it said,
"Optimising apps, 1 of 132"
took around 20 minutes to complete. Obviously I thought that will be one-time process but it repeated randomly during boot. Its quite annoying. When it took like 30 minutes, I decided to search for solutions. Seems like well-known issue and lot of people gave such different answers like:

1 Clear cache.
2 Wipe cache partition via bootloader.
3 Don't reboot while charing.
4 Re-flash firmware
5 Don't reboot the device at all!
6 Downgrade to Kitkat.
Options 1,2,3 didn't work me. Later I realized its completely wrong solution. Not sure, whether 4 will help or not. 5th one is seriously funny solution!

Looked like 6th (going back to Kitkat) is the only option. But I have rooted device and thought about debugging the issue further. Few hours, later here is my solution. It works with Moto-E Lollipop 5.1 . If you have this issue please test and let me know. Thank you!
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../in.co.giis.optimisingappfixer&token=9MKfIVhn

I'd like to try out, but I can't open this app, it throws an error:

"App not available for this account
Your account isn't currently eligible for this app's testing program...."

Are you able to share it in some other way?

What exactly are you suggesting, i.e. how is this app going to help troubleshooting and fixing such issues?

Thanks in advance

Tina5652

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site

Why won't my g s6 fire up even tho I have it rebooted it.keeps stuck in cog wheels optimising or sayin android is starting but goes nowhere.What can I do to fix this.

Techno_Wizard

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

I did find a 100% solution to this, but it is by no means ideal.

Flashing Cyangoenmod 5.1 for the Moto X 2013 stops the optimization glitch, so it is indeed a Motorola issue they will never fix. Note to those who do not know what flashing Cyanogenmod means, it's replacing the entire operating system for a custom one. It's not for the feint of heart or those not good with technology. At the time of posting this, I don't think there's a stable lineage build yet.

Nata Pratama

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site

I've found the solution for this problem, first you have to remember the last apps that you install or (update an apps) to your device, if Iam Right this apps makes some optimization when device is restarting (bug or unmatch android version). So you just need to unistall it and check if the problem still not yet solved.

Salam dua jari ✌

Charly93

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site

I've noticed that every once and a while I will get the following message when restarting the phone.

"Android is Starting"
"Optimizing App x of xxx"

I know this should happen once after an upgrade, but it seems to be happening every few re-boots of the phone now.

Anyone else seeing this behavior or know of a solution?

Tom

If your phone is rooted try to re-rooting again ( i used Kingo -root via PC). It worked for me.

kingb71

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm having this in an LG G4 as well now

Randy Ansah

Apr 17, 2018
Visit site

I have noticed that my android phone keeps optimizing each time I boot.how do I stop it, because it is annoying.please help me.

Michael Etter

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

kingb71

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks but I don't have zedge installed

Paola k

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site

i had the same problem with my HTC, it used to say optimizing app 1 of 2, i removed zedge, now it says optimizing app 1 of 1. which means there's 1 more app i have to remove, but how am i gonna know which one is it :'(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

i had the same problem with my HTC, it used to say optimizing app 1 of 2, i removed zedge, now it says optimizing app 1 of 1. which means there's 1 more app i have to remove, but how am i gonna know which one is it :'(

I've seen TrueCaller mentioned as another app causing this problem -- do you have that installed?

Ken Atkinson1

May 29, 2015
Visit site

I've found the solution for this problem, first you have to remember the last apps that you install or (update an apps) to your device, if Iam Right this apps makes some optimization when device is restarting (bug or unmatch android version). So you just need to unistall it and check if the problem still not yet solved.

Salam dua jari ✌

Nata, GREAT RESPONSE! I installed Avast applications recently, remembered that and removed them. PROBLEM SOLVED! Boy, what a pain! (the optimization Baloney)

Ken Atkinson

crankywitch

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site

Its an app you downloaded, some of them have a bug like that. I know cause it happens to me..find the app and uninstall it.

eddiejr1

Aug 3, 2018
Visit site

It absolutely is Zedge causing this issue in my case. I uninstalled Zedge....end of problem.

FreonPSandoz

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

This happened to me today. It's completely unacceptable for a communication device to do such a thing. The first time this happens to someone who's trying to dial 911, Google will be wiped out.

DaveC999

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site

How hard would it have been to give some indication in the message of which App it is working on?? Or an indication of why the optimisation is being done? Or *something* to help resolve an issue that potentially renders your phone useless for some period after a switch-on (or after a crash!).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The question then is how much "explanation" should any smartphone maker have to give for anything that's happening with the system? App optimization is something that should happen automatically when it's needed (typically after an update), and then the phone should continue to boot normally. If something went wrong with the update and it's stuck in the optimizing process, it's unlikely any explanation of what's happening would help the average user (or even the experienced user) know where the glitch is.

DaveC999

Aug 9, 2019
Visit site

Thanks for your input.
In my case (and from reading the various and numerous descriptions of this problem across the internet in a lot of cases), it's optimising 1 App every time the phone starts up. It's not stuck in the optimisation process, it's just doing it for 1 App only, EVERY time the phone starts. Many users have reported that removing a single App gets rid of the optimisation.
I agree that providing more information may not help the average user directly, but this is clearly a widespread complaint and SOME more information should be available from Android to aid in debugging it (by passing that info onto an expert if necessary, obviously).
At the moment, we only have the alternative of the problem not getting fixed. Or of a phone reset/buy a new phone.

Last edited: