09-27-2015 11:25 AM
57 123
tools
    My WiFi and BT connect just fine. I had few issues though the battery drains a little faster. I had trouble updating some apps initially, a reboot resolved that and also got me the new version of Play Services. Play Services fixed some of the initial major battery drain issues.

This update causes us to lose some of our storage space, it includes Google Docs, Sheets and Slides by default. As a result, I had to remove some of my infrequently-used apps (like, never use them anymore) so I could update apps that needed updates.

Overall, I like the UI changes, including the Moto Display update that allows us to choose from 3 different notifications to unlock to.

I don't like the changes to touchless control, if I have my BT headset connected, it responds through the headset. I don't always have the headset on my ear (only put it on when I'm on the phone) so this is an issue to me.
    Pollster and Mark_Venture like this.
    09-19-2015 05:56 PM
    Any Wifi or blutooth connect issues? Like wifi disconnecting when the screen is off?
    Zero for me.
    Pollster and Mark_Venture like this.
    09-19-2015 08:04 PM
    Both my wife and I received notifications on our stock Verizon Moto X phones that a system update had been downloaded and was ready to install. Based on the issues I've seen reported here, I suggested to my wife that she hold off doing anything with it until I could install the update and see if there were any problems. The update that had been pushed to my phone was only Part I, which apparently just upgraded 62 apps and took about 5-6 minutes to complete, after which there was a message that Part 2 would be sent later. Has the process worked like that for others? If so, did the version of Part 2 (which I understand is the Lollipop upgrade) that was later pushed install and work smoothly, or did you encounter problems with the new system? Thanks for any information or advice you can provide.
    09-19-2015 08:23 PM
    Both my wife and I received notifications on our stock Verizon Moto X phones that a system update had been downloaded and was ready to install. Based on the issues I've seen reported here, I suggested to my wife that she hold off doing anything with it until I could install the update and see if there were any problems. The update that had been pushed to my phone was only Part I, which apparently just upgraded 62 apps and took about 5-6 minutes to complete, after which there was a message that Part 2 would be sent later. Has the process worked like that for others? If so, did the version of Part 2 (which I understand is the Lollipop upgrade) that was later pushed install and work smoothly, or did you encounter problems with the new system? Thanks for any information or advice you can provide.
    It's a two-parter. The second part is a much longer process.
    09-19-2015 09:11 PM
    It has been great for me. Hold off on judging battery life for a few days after updating. I dare say mine is a little better than it was before. YMMV of course.

Posted via Android Central App
    Pollster likes this.
    09-19-2015 11:18 PM
    If your phone has 16 GB internal Memory than go ahead. UI is crispy but not so fantastic. Some apps not work.

Lollipop is not suite with less RAM.
    09-20-2015 05:54 AM
    Try clearing the data--not the cache.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    What is clearing data to do in Google play? I tried it on a couple of game apps to see what it did them and it got rid of all my progress. It makes nervous that chasing the data for Play might mess something up. Not like it could get worse though.

09-20-2015 02:00 PM
    I went ahead and downloaded and installed the Lollipop update, and so far everything appears to be restored and working fine. If I encounter any issues, I'll report back. In the meantime, thanks for the feedback.
    09-20-2015 02:12 PM
    What is clearing data to do in Google play? I tried it on a couple of game apps to see what it did them and it got rid of all my progress. It makes nervous that chasing the data for Play might mess something up. Not like it could get worse though.

It's just going to clear out your local copy of things like the list of apps you own/have downloaded. You'll just log in again and go from there. It will not delete apps or ruin anything and your phone will automatically download a fresh copy just like it would if it was a brand new device doing it for the first time.

With a major OS update, you really should factory reset and start over.

09-20-2015 10:42 PM
    It's just going to clear out your local copy of things like the list of apps you own/have downloaded. You'll just log in again and go from there. It will not delete apps or ruin anything and your phone will automatically download a fresh copy just like it would if it was a brand new device doing it for the first time.

With a major OS update, you really should factory reset and start over.

Thank you.

09-21-2015 01:00 AM

Exactly, that action clears ALL data for that app. I don't know what games you're referring to but my guess is that they were games that DIDN'T require data access; games that need to access servers for updates (ie games that remotely store your progress) will not be affected beyond you're needing to sign back in and your phone needing to receive the data containing your saved progress. Stand alone games would lose all data in the way that you described.

After you clear the data in Google Play, you will have to sign back in but everything else "stays intact" because Google has all of your purchases saved on their side. I couldn't upload a game update once and someone suggested clearing the data in Google Play suggesting that it wasn't the game itself that was hanging up--they were correct, it was Play.

09-21-2015 10:17 AM
    I ended up having to do a factory reset. Unfortunately I lost all my contacts. I can't seem to be able to get backup assistant to work.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Pollster likes this.
    09-21-2015 03:44 PM
    I ended up having to do a factory reset. Unfortunately I lost all my contacts. I can't seem to be able to get backup assistant to work.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Any reason why you weren't syncing your contacts to Google?
    TommyZ23 and eidian like this.
    09-21-2015 03:52 PM
    09-24-2015 07:19 AM
    Over a week in and I am still loving this update. Uninstalled Clean Master as it became superfluous.
    Pollster, TommyZ23 and dmark44 like this.
    09-24-2015 07:35 AM
    I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

How much of a nightmare was it to replace the battery? I understand it isn't on the surface when you pop the back. Supposedly a lot of things need to be removed to get deep enough to reach the battery.... is that correct? How long did the replacement take?

Thanks...

---Paul
    09-24-2015 08:53 AM
    I'm really worried after hearing all the horror stories about the update... If it doesn't work out, I feel like I'll have to buy a new phone..
    09-24-2015 09:04 AM
    My biggest complaint is the battery. I was noticing a big difference in battery life the last few months anyways but it seems to be a bit more since LP. Otherwise everything else is fine. My wife has the same phone but I haven't updated it yet. She just wants it to work and doesn't really need any of the features LP offers so i'm holding off. If we can't get the notification to stop I may just do it cause it's already annoying her.
    Pollster likes this.
    09-24-2015 09:12 AM
    How much of a nightmare was it to replace the battery? I understand it isn't on the surface when you pop the back. Supposedly a lot of things need to be removed to get deep enough to reach the battery.... is that correct? How long did the replacement take?

Thanks...

---Paul
    I personally would not attempt this:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorol...t/16974#s51748
    09-24-2015 09:28 AM
    My wife and I also have the same 2013 Moto X, both of which have the stock Verizon configuration. As reported above, I downloaded and installed the Lollipop update on my phone last weekend, but wanted to wait a few days and see if I encountered any problems before updating my wife's phone. Having experienced no issues after a few days, I went ahead and installed the update on my wife's phone last night. The process took less than 30 minutes and, like mine, went smoothly.

So far, neither of us has any issues with Lollipop, and the battery life appears to be unchanged from when we were on KitKat. I certainly understand why any Moto X owner would be apprehensive about installing the update, given the problems that others have described here and the fact that the changes effected by Lollipop are not all that dramatic. But I thought you should be aware that the update seems to be working fine for some of us.
    Pollster and TommyZ23 like this.
    09-24-2015 09:54 AM
    After multiple reboots / installs / random reboots MOST things are ok. About once a day I get slow / laggy performance and warm phone... and at random times it stops sending / receiving texts (but then starts again randomly)... and also randomly will drop audio during phone calls (both sides cannot hear) and I have to hang up and re-call to get audio back.

Wifi is a little odd, some widgets / apps no longer able to control wifi on / off states, doesn't seem to connect as often as it did before (or maybe it just takes longer)

No noticable issues with bluetooth
    Pollster likes this.
    09-24-2015 01:24 PM
    I kinda regret installing Lollipop on my 2013 AT&T Model. The speaker sometimes make a weird noise and the Yotube app is broken by not having videos work. Other than that it's fine but I miss kit katon my device.
    Pollster likes this.
    09-24-2015 01:55 PM
    Had 5.1 a week. No new problems. I like it.

Pollster likes this.
    09-24-2015 06:59 PM
    Turns out I was wrong about bluetooth... bluetooth audio in the car is completely wrecked During calls seems to work ok, but Pandora and YouTube are unusable, full of static now.
    Pollster likes this.
    09-24-2015 10:12 PM
    No update yet for Sprint.
    09-24-2015 10:55 PM
57 123