so is the lollipop update a go or nogo?

psimon1210

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

How much of a nightmare was it to replace the battery? I understand it isn't on the surface when you pop the back. Supposedly a lot of things need to be removed to get deep enough to reach the battery.... is that correct? How long did the replacement take?

Thanks...

---Paul

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm really worried after hearing all the horror stories about the update... If it doesn't work out, I feel like I'll have to buy a new phone..

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My biggest complaint is the battery. I was noticing a big difference in battery life the last few months anyways but it seems to be a bit more since LP. Otherwise everything else is fine. My wife has the same phone but I haven't updated it yet. She just wants it to work and doesn't really need any of the features LP offers so i'm holding off. If we can't get the notification to stop I may just do it cause it's already annoying her.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I also have the same 2013 Moto X, both of which have the stock Verizon configuration. As reported above, I downloaded and installed the Lollipop update on my phone last weekend, but wanted to wait a few days and see if I encountered any problems before updating my wife's phone. Having experienced no issues after a few days, I went ahead and installed the update on my wife's phone last night. The process took less than 30 minutes and, like mine, went smoothly.

So far, neither of us has any issues with Lollipop, and the battery life appears to be unchanged from when we were on KitKat. I certainly understand why any Moto X owner would be apprehensive about installing the update, given the problems that others have described here and the fact that the changes effected by Lollipop are not all that dramatic. But I thought you should be aware that the update seems to be working fine for some of us.

Scott LaCroix

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
After multiple reboots / installs / random reboots MOST things are ok. About once a day I get slow / laggy performance and warm phone... and at random times it stops sending / receiving texts (but then starts again randomly)... and also randomly will drop audio during phone calls (both sides cannot hear) and I have to hang up and re-call to get audio back.

Wifi is a little odd, some widgets / apps no longer able to control wifi on / off states, doesn't seem to connect as often as it did before (or maybe it just takes longer)

No noticable issues with bluetooth

Breezy1019

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I kinda regret installing Lollipop on my 2013 AT&T Model. The speaker sometimes make a weird noise and the Yotube app is broken by not having videos work. Other than that it's fine but I miss kit katon my device.

Scott LaCroix

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Turns out I was wrong about bluetooth... bluetooth audio in the car is completely wrecked :( During calls seems to work ok, but Pandora and YouTube are unusable, full of static now.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
After 1 week, the tally is almost even. 11 people in the thread saying no issues, go for it. 9 people reporting being somewhere between on-the-fence and wishing they hadn't.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have installed it on the two Moto X1 phones I own (Motomaker stock, and VZW Developer Edition, bootloader unlocked and rooted). Both run well, with almost no issues that I can see with the apps and functions that I normally use. Battery life may be a bit shorter, but neither phone is new and I've had to rely on mobile data more lately vs. wifi, so that may explain some of the difference. Still, I can get through a working day in my current setup, unless on the road or with heavy use. I do use a power mgt app that disconnects wifi when the screen is off.

Overall, Lollipop is a plus for me, and I don't see an urgent need to upgrade to the new Style/Pure, though I may do so after the price drops.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Moto X, updated on Sept 12 as part of the soak. Zero problems.

Two weeks of heavy daily use, zero problems. Tonight, got a call and couldn't answer. Phone was frozen and would not unlock. I reset the phone and booting up had to re-optimize all the apps. Subsequent reboots were problem free.

Hope this is a one time occurrence, but no regrets, glad I updated.

mkc451

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
MKReef -- I had almost identical experience ... problems were in answering and calling, phone would lock up and had to be re-booted. Last time it optimized the apps .. took about 45 minutes. Seems to be working now.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
I took the non-OTA approach... First I copied my /sdcard to my PC via usb cable. Used Appbrain Market to make a list of my installed apps, then factory rest the phone, and used the Verizon 5.1 SBF/FXZ that leaked (http://motofirmware.center/files/category/11-moto-x-1st-generation/ the site has had some hard drive issues, there are mirrors on XDA) via mfastboot. Then manually setup and reinstalled my apps, and copied my watch faces (for Facer and WatchMaker and my Moto 360) along with my /downloads and other documents back from the PC to the /SDCARD. I then rooted via flashing TWRP 2.8.6.0, and manually installing SuperSU from TWRP.

So far so good. I haven't found issues/problems. Wifi doesn't drop, bluetooth has been steady, sound quality on calls is good, stand-by hasn't be an issue, etc.

Battery life seems up and down as apps get updated (i.e. it appears to be an app related issue), just like before, when I was still on 4.4.4. i.e. when I first updated to 5.1, I got about 12 hours and still had 30% battery left. Then I got some google app updates, and battery didn't even last 8hrs before I got the lo battery warning. Again got some app updates and was able to go long, but got more app updates yesterday, and again couldn't make it 8hrs.

Wifi Tether for Root doesn't work, so I'm using Wifi Tether Router (in play store for $2.80) which works (but you need the right settings, and data seems a little slower). Also the entitlement by pass app (free, posted on XDA) works. The Entitlement Bypass app just edits the build.prop, so I don't know if that is more or less detectable than Wifit Tether Root or Wifi Tether Router.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not bad. It took about 45 minutes for me but it was the first time.

A couple of things to take away from my DIY battery swap:

- look for a replacement battery *assembly* that includes the NFC antenna. The replacement I got was a bare battery and the NFC antenna is impossible to remove w/o destroying it.

- depending on how careful you are, the back cover might be gap-pier than the virgin fit.

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded the update on my Verizon XT 1060 yesterday. As of right now, I have yet to run into any issues.

Here I am a week and a half later and I've got some things to report.

I've not run into any game-breaking issues, but I have noticed a couple of things. First, wifi can be a bit wonky at times. It'll show a stable connection, but nothing seems to load in any app. Thankfully, turning Airplane Mode on and then off again seems to fix this. Another little issue I encountered was that Youtube stopped playing videos entirely. This was a one time issue and was resolved with a reboot, but that brings me to the third issue. Upon rebooting, my phone had to go through the process of optimizing every single app installed. I don't have that many apps and it still took a good half hour to finish.

None of these are egregious issues. I don't reboot my phone often, Youtube seems to be working just fine now, and the wifi issue is easily taken care of. However, it seems this update was not as seamless as it first appeared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid