09-27-2015 11:25 AM
57 123
tools
    I've seen people experiencing a bunch of problems since updating. What's the consensus, update or no? I'm perfectly happy with my phone as is now. Are there any improvements from this update or only problems?

Thanks in advance for replies

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-18-2015 08:48 AM
    GO.

I love it. Initially had some doubts but once I got the Google Play Service 8.1.15 installed it has been smooth sailing. And the UI changes are excellent.
    09-18-2015 08:51 AM
    Some complaints seem to be battery life, which may be more of a battery indicator issue than battery usage. I am going to run the battery now and recharge completely while turned off to retrain it. I now have The Weather Channel app eating a lot of battery, so maybe I will remove it and install it again. I update two phone to LP without issues.
    09-18-2015 08:54 AM
    The improvements to the notification bar (pull-down with the extended preview) and lock screen (choose which notification you want to open) alone make the update worth downloading.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-18-2015 08:56 AM
    No complaints here. Lollipop 5.1 XT 1053 on Consumer Cellular.
    09-18-2015 09:09 AM
    Some complaints seem to be battery life, which may be more of a battery indicator issue than battery usage. I am going to run the battery now and recharge completely while turned off to retrain it. I now have The Weather Channel app eating a lot of battery, so maybe I will remove it and install it again. I update two phone to LP without issues.
    I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

sixty_four and dmark44 like this.
    09-18-2015 09:49 AM
    Installed yesterday on my Moto XT1060, took about an hour land half to complete. To me it's like a new phone, other than some hic ups with setting up "smart lock", good to go. Also, I had the stock android calendar and it updated sometime in the process to the Google Calendar. I may keep it or move to something else, not a big deal for me.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-18-2015 10:02 AM
    Downloaded the update on my Verizon XT 1060 yesterday. As of right now, I have yet to run into any issues.
    09-18-2015 11:15 AM
    I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

I did the same thing and replaced my battery a week or so before getting Lollipop. I noticed better standby but it wasn't night and day. My phone does seem to do incrementally better with both a fresh battery and Lollipop. Again, nothing drastic but a nice improvement.
    eidian and dmark44 like this.
    09-18-2015 11:29 AM
    Lucky people with no issues! Mine is laggy, annoying, won't update the apps, can't open email, and no notifications. I definitely can't text. But on the bright side, it started connecting to wifi again, I finally got google play to update, and i'm on the right track.
    09-18-2015 12:32 PM
    Lucky people with no issues! Mine is laggy, annoying, won't update the apps, can't open email, and no notifications. I definitely can't text. But on the bright side, it started connecting to wifi again, I finally got google play to update, and i'm on the right track.
    Try downloading and installing this: here it the APK for our phones RUNNING 5.1.1!! Do not install this for 4.4.4.
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/
    09-18-2015 01:58 PM
    So if I want to avoid the update (at least for now) how do I stop the stupid notifications that keep popping up? I have searched and found various how-to's saying to disable/force stop Google Play Service, Motorola Updater, etc - but either I don't have those under apps, or I have tried disabling them and still get the notifications.

I'm on VZ, Moto X 2013, 4.4.4. I have not even applied the first of the two part Lollipop upgrade. Do I need to apply that one, and then somehow block the 2nd part of Lollipop from installing?
    09-18-2015 02:11 PM
    2nd part IS Lollipop. 1st part is preparatory update for Lollipop.
    09-18-2015 02:43 PM
    Fair enough - but my question about how to block/disable the upgrade still stands!
    09-18-2015 02:55 PM
    GO.

I love it. Initially had some doubts but once I got the Google Play Service 8.1.15 installed it has been smooth sailing. And the UI changes are excellent.
    Did you have any problems installing Google Play? Mine gets stuck at 35% and then i get an error code. I can't get email or get or send texts and my battery drains FAST.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-18-2015 04:13 PM
    Did you have any problems installing Google Play? Mine gets stuck at 35% and then i get an error code. I can't get email or get or send texts and my battery drains FAST.

Have you cleared the cache? It worked for me!
    09-18-2015 04:39 PM
    Have you cleared the cache? It worked for me!
    It won't let me. It just says computing. I went into other apps and, even though the clear cache button was dark to be able to click on it, it wouldn't work.

09-18-2015 05:18 PM
    Wife got update phone is all messed up can not text z apps not loading big mess
    09-18-2015 07:08 PM
    Google play up to 8.1.15 can't clear cache, can not get any apps to update, phone sucks now. Gets real warm when talking. Battery drains real quick.
    09-18-2015 08:18 PM
    Google play up to 8.1.15 can't clear cache, can not get any apps to update, phone sucks now. Gets real warm when talking. Battery drains real quick.
    I guess I got lucky and after a couple of power off/on cycles (because the phone would freeze), it stopped giving me the "need to update play services" message and updated the Google services app to 8.1.15. Then it updated a few of my apps. I read somewhere that clearing cache from Google play services might work if you're still stuck.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE
    09-18-2015 08:26 PM
    No issues. Feels like a brand new phone.
    09-18-2015 11:15 PM
    I've had no issues with Lollipop on mine either.
    TommyZ23 likes this.
    09-18-2015 11:18 PM
    It won't let me. It just says computing. I went into other apps and, even though the clear cache button was dark to be able to click on it, it wouldn't work.

Try clearing the data--not the cache.

09-19-2015 03:29 AM
    XT1060 went from 4.4.4 to 5.1 and it was horrible for me until I did a factory reset. The update or rather the two updates went through ok. After it completed though my 60% battery charge lasted only two hours. Being plugged into the wall charger wouldn't charge more than 5% an hour. USB charge did nothing at all while on and actually drained the battery while off. Every boot wanted to optimize apps even when not plugged in. It would hang on the vzw logo when booting for about 10 min. None of the apps would update although it was trying (I'm thinking this was causing the battery drain). Several computers failed to load drivers when plugged into USB. Left it off and plugged into wall charger all night. Woke up to 100% charge but it only lasted 3 hours with no use at all other than checking email and txt msg notifications. Tried a clear/format of the cache but that did nothing to help. Finally got time and pulled data with my voyager go USB drive, performed the factory reset. Let it charge up and ran all night while not plugged in. Showing 90% left after 6 hours of running and an estimated 2+ days left. I do get a lot of work emails all night as I work in IT. So far it's better but will need to test further to be sure. At least it doesn't lose power while off anymore, and no more optimizing apps every boot.
    09-19-2015 09:44 AM
    Any Wifi or blutooth connect issues? Like wifi disconnecting when the screen is off?
    09-19-2015 09:52 AM
57 123