What's your next phone?

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Moto for the past 4 phones over 5 years, but recently ordered the Nexus 5x. 'Tis a strange feeling!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone interested in either of the new Nexus phones? I'm thinking about the 5X but the only thing holding me back is the battery. 2,700 mAh is better than what I have with the Moto X 2013 but with a bigger screen and more power and all that I feel like it might last just as long. Anyone have any input or anything about that?

Yup, the 6P looks to be my next device, I currently have a 2013 X. I was dead set on getting the 2015 X but decided to wait and see what the new Nexus looked like. Addition of the FPR, the camera improvements (though I'll still rely on my 18 MP Canon EOS-M for the pictures I REALLY care about) are key factors. The other thing driving me to the Nexus was the announcement of Motorola no longer updating the Moto E, the 2014 X not getting Marshmallow if it's a carrier version and the drop of Moto Connect and Assist.

So, I wait for the initial backorder to die off then I place my order, this allows for the initial bugs to get worked out.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The LG G4 has caught my eye. I like the specs and I read it could get Marshmallow soonish. Seems to be somewhat future proof as it has 3GB of ram but what I like most is that is has a micro SD slot and a removable battery! I already checked amazon and Hyperion makes a 6000 mah battery. So I would feel comfortable knowing that if the stock battery isn't great or over time I could switch it out. Only problem with the Hyperion batter is that it's twice as thick which makes the device thicker and being that the phone is already a big phone I don't know if I would really like a fat phone too. I'm going to go to the store and check it out today. Does anyone have any experience with the G4?

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm patiently waiting for AC's review of the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. Am I so weird in wanting a phone display under 5 inches? It seems like Sony's the only Android manufacturer filling this niche these days. Wait, did I just call a phone I can comfortably use with one hand a "niche"? Oh, how the times are a-changing.

Posted from my Moto X (2013) via the Android Central App

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm patiently waiting for AC's review of the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. Am I so weird in wanting a phone display under 5 inches? It seems like Sony's the only Android manufacturer filling this niche these days. Wait, did I just call a phone I can comfortably use with one hand a "niche"? Oh, how the times are a-changing.

Posted from my Moto X (2013) via the Android Central App

If you're weird, then call me weird because I am going to head over to Best Buy on lunch and hold a few phones. Afterwards, I plan to go home and draw the shades and lay in bed depressed....

maskedwombat

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I spent the better part of an afternoon researching phones just to see what might be a good upgrade to the 2013 Moto X. Frustratingly, there isn't any one good option, although at least one stands out as a possibility.

This is my personal list of "wants" out of a phone in 2015:
  • Small (4.7" screen size or less)
  • Good battery life
  • Decent storage (32GB at least, or SD card slot)
  • Decent camera
  • Respectable performance

There's a lot of things that Motorola has spoiled us with that would be hard to let go of, too:
  • Gestures (especially camera twist)
  • Assist
  • Active notifications
  • (Mostly) Stock Android
  • AMOLED displays

I was hoping the new Nexus devices would make an upgrade decision easy, but the 5x was disappointing in a few ways. The 5.2" size is bigger than I'd like, and the shape is honestly kind of ugly compared to the sleek curves of the 2013 edition. Design matters! Motorola gets this, at least, but they're making their phones too damn big. The Moto X Pure Edition would be an easy choice if it wasn't sporting such a big display, and if they'd stuck with AMOLED. The 5x is also much too expensive for what you're getting: $400 for a 16Gb phone? Wasn't this supposed to be a budget option? The fingerprint reader and the camera are great additions (and I like that they ported over Motorola's Active Notifications), but there are too many compromises in this phone. The 6P would be a great option if it were an inch smaller.

The only phone I've looked at this year that addresses my concerns with my Moto X is the 2015 Moto G. Having a bigger, better battery and an SD card slot alleviate my two major issues with the Moto X, and at $220, it's a much easier pill to swallow. Still, it sounds the like performance is only on-par, and not better than the 2-year old X. It also has a larger screen with the same resolution as the X, and a heavier and chunkier design. No voiceless control or AMOLED screen, either.

4 hours later, I think the only conclusion I've come to is the same one I did with my car: wait till it breaks!

wsmather

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can tell you what my next phone won't be...it won't be bigger than my Moto X Classic (2013). I just finished a bit of an experiment. I ordered the Nexus 6. My thinking was, maybe I'm wrong about the ideal size being 4.7". So many customers want bigger that manufacturers ignore the many of us (especially non-geeks) who want flagship quality in a one-handed format. Shamu arrived, and I set it up. Big beautiful screen, cool animations, fast processing. I updated it to Marshmallow. Loaded in all my apps, and used it. And....well.... I'm returning it.

Rather than make my Classic look worse by comparison, the N6 made it look even better to me than it had before! The comfort in-hand, the ability to reach anything I need with my thumb. And its screen resolution doesn't look substandard by comparison either. 720 is fine!

By the way, Marshmallow is basically Lollipop with some tweaking and a few new goodies. I didn't find Google Now on Tap that compelling; searching Google for more info on whatever I find is already pretty easy. Doze is a good idea, but I won't miss it; on the rare occasion I must recharge I plug into one of three chargers I have in my bedroom, office, and car.

And so on.

Perhaps someday we will see a return to better ergonomics in flagship phones. Until then, its back to the Classic.

Last edited:

bcandiolo

May 31, 2015
Visit site
My next phone is going to be an iPhone 5s 64gb. Motorola is owned by Lenovo and they're making ugly big phones. Android is not offering anything interesting, not even Google with their Nexus phablets.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems like the consensus here is that we all haven't found a comparable (upgraded) phone that makes us as happy as this phone. I am being forced to switch phones by next month because VZ is jacking rates on the unlimited plan. I'm still on that and I'm not paying another penny more than I already do to big red. Off to T-Mobile, it's just too enticing.

I keep coming back to the S6... it seems like the most well rounded phone to me.

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure yet. Trying to hold out as long as I can before I upgrade. Looking to do so in January, so I'll have to see what the market is like then. I'd really like to stick with Moto and go with the Pure, but I'm not so sure I like the size, and all these reports about poor battery life have me worried. I use an HTC One (M7) as my work phone; like it but don't use it enough to see how it would be as a daily phone, so that's always an option for me too. I don't really like Samsung, I feel like they're the new Apple, but my girlfriend may be getting the S6 when she upgrades so I may have to see how that is.

Last edited:

cardsfanbj

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm hopefully getting a iPhone 6S Or 6S Plus next year

On the Android Central forums? BLASPHEMY!

I love My Moto X 2013. I love the pure android and I love the few customizations Motorola did make. But battery's shot and the memory is full.

I looked at the GS6 Active, since I'm on AT&T, and I was impressed with the hardware, but not with Samsung's UI. I looked at BestBuy to see what else they had, and the only thing comparable to the X Pure was the Nexus 6, and I don't like the ginormous size. Anything else that I did like was too expensive for me. Well, the GS6 was, too, anyway.

My thought now is that I might like the X2. It's close enough in size to the 2013 X that I could live with it, and it's $100 cheaper than the X Pure. But who knows how long it will last, since it's already a year out of date, and the memory is still limited, even if it is double what I have now.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
3 days in, how are you adjusting to the size (if you don't mind)?
I'm actually liking the size a lot. I thought it would seem huge, but I like it better than my smaller phones. Then again, I don't talk much. I'm looking at the screen for most of what I do, and the big screen with nice resolution is wonderful.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

diablo9

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
iPhone Plus. I am extremely ashamed of android/google's lack of interest and hundreds of flaws in their operating system.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I spent the better part of an afternoon researching phones just to see what might be a good upgrade to the 2013 Moto X. Frustratingly, there isn't any one good option, although at least one stands out as a possibility.

This is my personal list of "wants" out of a phone in 2015:
  • Small (4.7" screen size or less)
  • Good battery life
  • Decent storage (32GB at least, or SD card slot)
  • Decent camera
  • Respectable performance

There's a lot of things that Motorola has spoiled us with that would be hard to let go of, too:
  • Gestures (especially camera twist)
  • Assist
  • Active notifications
  • (Mostly) Stock Android
  • AMOLED displays

I was hoping the new Nexus devices would make an upgrade decision easy, but the 5x was disappointing in a few ways. The 5.2" size is bigger than I'd like, and the shape is honestly kind of ugly compared to the sleek curves of the 2013 edition. Design matters! Motorola gets this, at least, but they're making their phones too damn big. The Moto X Pure Edition would be an easy choice if it wasn't sporting such a big display, and if they'd stuck with AMOLED. The 5x is also much too expensive for what you're getting: $400 for a 16Gb phone? Wasn't this supposed to be a budget option? The fingerprint reader and the camera are great additions (and I like that they ported over Motorola's Active Notifications), but there are too many compromises in this phone. The 6P would be a great option if it were an inch smaller.

The only phone I've looked at this year that addresses my concerns with my Moto X is the 2015 Moto G. Having a bigger, better battery and an SD card slot alleviate my two major issues with the Moto X, and at $220, it's a much easier pill to swallow. Still, it sounds the like performance is only on-par, and not better than the 2-year old X. It also has a larger screen with the same resolution as the X, and a heavier and chunkier design. No voiceless control or AMOLED screen, either.

4 hours later, I think the only conclusion I've come to is the same one I did with my car: wait till it breaks!

Wouldn't the Xperia z5 compact fit all your "musts"?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That thing looks pretty nice! How's the battery life been so far?
Battery life has been great! I always get a full day, and the turbo charger is fast. It's way better than the 2013 Moto X, which didn't have very good battery life.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX-N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery life has been great! I always get a full day, and the turbo charger is fast. It's way better than the 2013 Moto X, which didn't have very good battery life.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX-N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

Good to hear, was worried about the battery life. I currently have the 2013 Moto X and I can barely get through a day with it if I try and use the thing consistently off the charger. I'm going back and forth between the Moto X and the Nexus 6P, but I have some time to decide so I'll be going through all the reviews again I'm sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois